Bo'ness history - Day by day

To complete a hat-trick of Fauldhouse matches, we now go to 1950 and a Brown Cup semi-final held a Bathgate.  The BU's were deserved winners by 4-1 through doubles from Willie Gardiner & Robert Balderston.

The main talking point was the goal-posts, however! No fewer than six shots by the BU's came back off the square posts, generating talk of replacing with the rounded variety we know today.

The team was:  Graham, Mitchell, Tennant, Hogg, Thomson, McKie, Morrison, Dick, Gardiner, Sproull, Balderston

Forward to 1983 and it was Junior Cup semi-final day, with the long trip to Kilmarnock to face Auchinleck Talbot.

Obviously the underdogs, playing on Talbot's doorstep, the BU's pulled off a magnificent 1-0 win, courtesy of a Frank 'Doodles' Wilson goal.  The team was: Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Robertson (Wilson), Forster, Wilkes, Shields, Balanowski, Beaton (Dunn), Miller, Reid

23 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

To complete a hat-trick of Fauldhouse matches, we now go to 1950 and a Brown Cup semi-final held a Bathgate.  The BU's were deserved winners by 4-1 through doubles from Willie Gardiner & Robert Balderston.

The main talking point was the goal-posts, however! No fewer than six shots by the BU's came back off the square posts, generating talk of replacing with the rounded variety we know today.

The team was:  Graham, Mitchell, Tennant, Hogg, Thomson, McKie, Morrison, Dick, Gardiner, Sproull, Balderston

i doubt that anything other than square section goalposts and crossbar existed in that era and the idea that anything else would supersede them was most unlikely. I have photos showing the old wooden square posts still at Hampden well into the 1960's and they probably still exist at a few of the old grounds to this day. Last junior ground I remember seeing them was Showpark at East Kilbride not more than 6 or 7 years ago.

6 hours ago, garrellburn said:

i doubt that anything other than square section goalposts and crossbar existed in that era and the idea that anything else would supersede them was most unlikely. I have photos showing the old wooden square posts still at Hampden well into the 1960's and they probably still exist at a few of the old grounds to this day. Last junior ground I remember seeing them was Showpark at East Kilbride not more than 6 or 7 years ago.

It was the Journal itself that raised the topic.  I know square posts were only banned in 1987 by FIFA.  For some strange reason, square posts were more popular in Scotland than anywhere else.

A day etched on many a Bo'ness fans memory, as it was 1976 and Junior Cup Final day.  Darvel were to be faced at Hampden.  The match itself was fairly easy, a 3-0 win, Andy Scobie, Ian Miller & Willie Temperley netting.  It was the reaction when the team got home that amazed.  Newtown was filled as the open-top bus approached.  Both brass and pipe bands played on the players laps of honour. 

The team who gave everyone that great day was: Ferguson, J McQueen, McGuinness, Miller, McGeachie, I McQueen, Scobie, Balanowski, Mitchell, Anderson, Temperley subs McIntosh, Robinson.

Anyone with special memories of that day, please add them here.

My first trip to Hampden as a 10 year old,,3 things spring to mind,as the 3rd goal goes in ,a Darvel supporter wakes up,must’ve been on. night shift:lol:and says”we’ll equalise shortly.

my cousin trying to climb a barrier,wearing a full length sheepskin jacket and getting himself lifted,

the day before my mum got me a brand new denim jacket,which I left on tam mulhollands bus,never to be seen again 

Edited by boness4ever

15 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

It was the Journal itself that raised the topic.  I know square posts were only banned in 1987 by FIFA.  For some strange reason, square posts were more popular in Scotland than anywhere else.

Interestingly my official SFA copy of the Laws of the Game, published 2006, does not specify the actual cross sectional shape of the posts and crossbar. It only states that they should be the same width and depth (5ins/12cm). They could  be square, circular or presumably even multi faceted, hexagon, octogonal or even auld thrupenny bit shaped.

That would make for some very interesting rebounds off the post!

5 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

A day etched on many a Bo'ness fans memory, as it was 1976 and Junior Cup Final day.  Darvel were to be faced at Hampden.  The match itself was fairly easy, a 3-0 win, Andy Scobie, Ian Miller & Willie Temperley netting.  It was the reaction when the team got home that amazed.  Newtown was filled as the open-top bus approached.  Both brass and pipe bands played on the players laps of honour. 

The team who gave everyone that great day was: Ferguson, J McQueen, McGuinness, Miller, McGeachie, I McQueen, Scobie, Balanowski, Mitchell, Anderson, Temperley subs McIntosh, Robinson.

Anyone with special memories of that day, please add them here.

There you go. On of the many great days in our history.

DSCN0329.JPG

1956 and it's a St Michaels Cup semi-final replay against Linlithgow Rose.  After drawing 1-1 at Broxburn, a toss of the coin earned the BU's staging rights and they took full advantage, winning 3-0.  Goals from Jim Glennon, John Hunter & Gibby Ormond settled matters.

The team was: Wren, Taggart, MacKay, Collumbine, McGregor, McBlain, Marshall, McCarroll, Glennon, Hunter, Ormond