Bo'ness history - Day by day

37 minutes ago, boness4ever said:

Gillingham,Billingham Westingham,at a time they were experimenting with a change of name:lol::lol:

Nothing to do with Bo'ness, I know but I've always loved the name of North East of England club Billingham Synthonia!

1 hour ago, desmond tutu said:

Was at the game,Friday night I'm sure .

Bang on Des. 6.30 KO. Have ticket for game ( mustn't have went to game) Don't know how to show it on here but will do so when I get someone to show me.

Maybe a collectors item. lol.

On this day in 1999, the BU's paid a visit to Stoneyburn in the Fife & Lothians Cup 4th round.  The headline in the Journal said it all ' Rainbow show by Bo'ness Utd '.  The BU's were on a goal spree winning 8-1.  Playing in a howling gale & driving rain, the scores were level at half-time but Bo'ness took full advantage of the conditions in the 2nd 45, with one goal coming from a wind -assisted kick from 'keeper Neil Binnie.  'Sheep' McKinlay netted four and Steve Maskrey, Darryl Drew and Jimmy Burns also scored.

The team was: N Binnie, Smith, Hallford, Yates, McCavanagh, Drew (Grant), Swanson, Hoggan, Burns, McKinlay, Maskrey (Stewart)

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

On this day in 1999, the BU's paid a visit to Stoneyburn in the Fife & Lothians Cup 4th round.  The headline in the Journal said it all ' Rainbow show by Bo'ness Utd '.  The BU's were on a goal spree winning 8-1.  Playing in a howling gale & driving rain, the scores were level at half-time but Bo'ness took full advantage of the conditions in the 2nd 45, with one goal coming from a wind -assisted kick from 'keeper Neil Binnie.  'Sheep' McKinlay netted four and Steve Maskrey, Darryl Drew and Jimmy Burns also scored.

The team was: N Binnie, Smith, Hallford, Yates, McCavanagh, Drew (Grant), Swanson, Hoggan, Burns, McKinlay, Maskrey (Stewart)

This was a replay,first game was a terrible 1-1 draw I think

Edited by boness4ever

8 minutes ago, boness4ever said:

Distillery??

It's not an Irish league team, although the first name can be found in teams in Ireland and Wales.  The second name would appear to have a more religious connection (not sectarian).

4 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

To continue the friendly teaser theme.  In 1950, 2 days after the Sheffield game we met Irish opposition.  Any offers on their name?

There used to be a Framed Landscape Painting hung in the boardroom at Newtown Park, presented by I'm sure an Irish Club to Bo'ness United in commemoration

of a game. This maybe the match you are referring to. I think the name could begin with an L, but could be wrong.

It was a club called Bangor Abbey.  We beat them 4-1 with two goals from Willie Gardiner, one from Willie Morrison and the other an own goal from the left-back White.

If only we could have found Welsh opponents to complete the series!

22 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

It was a club called Bangor Abbey.  We beat them 4-1 with two goals from Willie Gardiner, one from Willie Morrison and the other an own goal from the left-back White.

If only we could have found Welsh opponents to complete the series!

So when will the “Welsh teaser”appear:lol:

In 1992, Bathgate Thistle were the visitors on League business but were sent packing by 3-0.  Eric Ewing hit a double and the scoring was completed by an own goal.

The team was: Kirkwood, Davidson, Meldrum, Dunleavie, McLean, McLennan (Thomson), Dalton (Allison), Ewing, Cheape, Neil, Burns