Bo'ness history - Day by day

10 hours ago, desmond tutu said:

I thought I saw him play as a trialist for Boness ,think the game was on a Friday night,player from a few years ago Lenny Frew .

Always difficult to legislate for trialists.  I try to capture as many names as possible but not always available.  So he may have turned out in those circumstances.

7 hours ago, John S said:
21 hours ago, Jambo said:
The teaser today not too far back, just 2012.  On this day we played Musselburgh at Olive Bank in the League.  Our 1-0 win was secured by which player?

Kevin Watt

That's the boy.

Brown Cup Semi-Final time in 1978 and the opponents were Tranent, who had home advantage.  This did not stop the BU's as they reached the final by 2-1.  Tom Balanowski and an Ian Miller penalty did the needful.

The side was: Ferguson, Robertson, McNulty, Stewart, Taylor, Miller, Anderson, Balanowski, McQueen, Craw, Eddie subs Shields, Breen

3 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Doubt any of you will have been at the teaser game but just a wee test anyway.  Back in 1950 the BU's hosted the 'oldest' club in the world and won 3-1.  Who were they?

I'll suggest it was a club which was not originally a football club, but played something else  like Queens Park being originally a cricket club. eg Kilsyth curling club claim to be the oldest in the world but they never started a football section for when the ice melted in the Spring. I don't really believe their claim in any case!

50 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

I'll suggest it was a club which was not originally a football club, but played something else  like Queens Park being originally a cricket club. eg Kilsyth curling club claim to be the oldest in the world but they never started a football section for when the ice melted in the Spring. I don't really believe their claim in any case!

No, this lot have a legitimate claim to it.  Clue is it was a friendly against an English club from the North.

2 hours ago, Scuzz said:

I thought Sheffield FC were the oldest, can't recall hearing about playing a game like that even though it was so long ago!

They had a small tour up here in 1950, even playing Kilmarnock.  We beat them 3-1 with George Dick scoring a couple and Willie Gardiner getting the other.

Got another couple of 'interesting' friendlies up my sleeve for the days ahead!

Can I also mention the info  provided recently by John Spowart.  This has meant another two results have been removed (and two amended) from the missing list and we are now down to a handful.

Cheers John :thumsup2

1983 and we have a Junior Cup 6th round tie at home to Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.  The BU's triumphed 2-0 through goals from Robert Beaton & Tom Balanowski and were drawn to play Auchinleck in the semi's.

The team was: Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Wilson (Young), Forster, Wilkes, Shields, Balanowski, Beaton (Dunn), Miller, Reid

I have another friendly match for today.  Played in 1971, the BU's again lined up against English opposition.  If anybody can name them, I'll be most impressed.

To maybe shoogle some cobwebs in the brain, the score was 8-2 to the BU's and there were seven different scorers.  Eric Logan got a double, the rest came from Dave McOwat, George Cunningham, Colin Alexander, Eric Sinclair, Jimmy McGregor and a Hamish Simpson penalty.

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

I have another friendly match for today.  Played in 1971, the BU's again lined up against English opposition.  If anybody can name them, I'll be most impressed.

To maybe shoogle some cobwebs in the brain, the score was 8-2 to the BU's and there were seven different scorers.  Eric Logan got a double, the rest came from Dave McOwat, George Cunningham, Colin Alexander, Eric Sinclair, Jimmy McGregor and a Hamish Simpson penalty.

Altrincham