Bo'ness history - Day by day

As noted it wasn't officially "Scotland" but it was near enough. You've a similar situation with the goalkeeper Tommy Ledgerwood who played for Coldstream before moving on to Partick and Morton... he never actually played for Scotland but did turn-out for Scotland B and the Scottish League, which were top games then. Indeed for while there was an annual Scotland v Scottish League game.

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, Standalone said:

Don't think Thomson was ever capped for Scotland.

Strictly speaking you are correct.  However he was in the Scotland XI tour of Asia and Oceania in May & June 1967.  The squad comprised players that were felt to be up and coming and would figure in the 1970 World Cup qualifying campaign.  He  played in 4 of the 9 matches, conceding only 2 goals.  He played against Israel, Hong Kong, Australia & an Auckland Xi.

42 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Strictly speaking you are correct.  However he was in the Scotland XI tour of Asia and Oceania in May & June 1967.  The squad comprised players that were felt to be up and coming and would figure in the 1970 World Cup qualifying campaign.  He  played in 4 of the 9 matches, conceding only 2 goals.  He played against Israel, Hong Kong, Australia & an Auckland Xi.

Forgot about that, a great goalie.

Thank you Jambo for all the memories you are bringing back. Look foreword to your daily reports and like your teasers.

3 minutes ago, Standalone said:

Thank you Jambo for all the memories you are bringing back. Look foreword to your daily reports and like your teasers.

Thank you.  Feedback and queries make it all worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Standalone said:

Have reread my  post and noticed my wrong spelling. Should read forward not foreword. Consider it a senior moment.

Feb 3rd 1962 takes us to  a home League match with Linlithgow Rose.  The BU's came out on top 3-2.  The team that day was: McNairn, Kemp, Stirling, Veitch, Scott, Cram, McFarlane, Higgins, R Sneddon, Birrell, Donlevy. 

The scorers were Bobby Veitch, Ian Cram & the winner came from Billy Higgins, newly signed that week from Maddiston Hearts.

3 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

A wee teaser today.  Back in 2007, The BU's entertained Kinnoull in a SuperLeague match and won 7-2.  The question is, who was the trialist number 11 subsequently signed to the end of the season?

David Hagen 

12 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

David Hagen 

David had already retired injured in January.

As a clue, here's the team: Stalker, Russell, Mullen, Morrison, G Brown (Smith), Tully, Mitchell, Sinclair, Proctor (McGlinchey), Donnelly, Trialist (Kenny)

Could I pick your brain and ask if you have any stats on my cousin's late husband, Davie Thomson during his spell with you.

Davie was on BU's books late 50's, I think signed from Bothkennar.

He signed for Dunfermline, played and scored in the Pars victory over Celtic in the replay of the 1960-61 Scottish Cup Final. He then moved on to Leicester City, Queen of the South, Berwick Rangers, returned to junior footie with LRFC and a short spell at what was then called New Blackburn.

Thank you.

Could I pick your brain and ask if you have any stats on my cousin's late husband, Davie Thomson during his spell with you.
He signed for Dunfermline, played and scored in the Pars victory over Celtic in the replay of the 1960-61 Scottish Cup Final. He then moved on to Leicester City, Queen of the South, Berwick Rangers, returned to junior footie with LRFC and a short spell at what was then called New Blackburn.
Thank you.

When was he with New Blackburn Athletic? I can check to see if I have anything

57 minutes ago, Ronson said:

Thank you.

I have Dave joining Bo'ness from Slamannan Villa in the summer of 1959.  He was immediately first-choice centre-forward and scored 11 goals in the first 6 games of the season.  Not surprisingly the senior scouts came calling and he left for Dunfermline at the end of October, having scored 13 goals in 15 games.

37 minutes ago, Ronson said:

Huge thanks Jambo'ness. 

Burnieman, I'm guessing late 60's, but it really is a guess.

Thanks for both your assistance.

I have a note that he signed for New Blackburn Athletic from Linlithgow Rose in July 1969, along with Malky Oliphant.  He played in the same NBA team as Gordon Souness, Graeme's brother.

On 6th September he scored against Bo'ness United in a 3-1 defeat at Newtown Park in a league match.

I have a note of him scoring 9 goals between August - December when his name drops off the scoring records, he might have scored more but there are a few games I dont have goalscorers for.  What happened I'm not sure as I've not researched these seasons in any great depth beyond results, scorers and a wee bit of news, he definitely wasn't there the following season.

Edited by Burnie_man

I have Dave joining Bo'ness from Slamannan Villa in the summer of 1959.  He was immediately first-choice centre-forward and scored 11 goals in the first 6 games of the season.  Not surprisingly the senior scouts came calling and he left for Dunfermline at the end of October, having scored 13 goals in 15 games.
Great work Jambo