Bo'ness history - Day by day

The 5th has always been a 'bread and butter' League day with one exception being in 1974, when Armadale visited on Brown Cup business.  They were sent packing by 4-2  with a double from George Squair, a goal from future manager Eric Sinclair and one from Lees   (any info on this last player would be gratefully received as I do not have his first name or where he was signed from).

No good day is complete without a win over the wee rose though and in 1957 the BU's travelled to Prestonfield in search of league points.  They returned to Bo'ness with a 2-1 win under their belts.  The line-up was;  Ronald, Taggart, Gavin, Collumbine, Garth, McBlain, Walker, Hunter, Young, Trialist, Ormond.  (I believe the trialist that day was A Calder as he appeared as a signed player for the next few games.  Iny info on his full first name and source would be great).   A double from Willie Young secured the points that day.  Willie had first appeared for the BU's in 1950, before playing for Alloa, Hamilton and Stenhousemuir in the seniors.

The 6th of January '62  saw one of the worst results in our history, losing in a Junior Cup R3 match to  Port Glasgow A- 0-7,

In 1996 Fife & Lothians Cup business saw  Haddington visit but were defeated  3-2 .Scorers being a double from Jimmy Burns and one from Danny Crainie),

The best result was in 2001 and a  League visit from Whitburn, which ended  2-1 to the BU's.

The Whitburn game was against the eventual champs and the BU line-up was; N Binnie, Black, King, Yates, C Inglis, Drew (Kemp), Hodge, K Inglis (Ward), McKinlay, Loney, Ryan.    Kevin Inglis had netted one penalty but was substituted prior to the 2nd being awarded. Old faithful Paul McKinlay made no mistake.

33 minutes ago, desmond tutu said:

Robert Lee come from falkirk area don't know which team ,very fast winger or striker.

Is that Lee or Lees?  The papers always report him as Lees.  Certainly normally listed as number 11.

On 05/01/2019 at 08:48, Jambo'ness said:

The 5th has always been a 'bread and butter' League day with one exception being in 1974, when Armadale visited on Brown Cup business.  They were sent packing by 4-2  with a double from George Squair, a goal from future manager Eric Sinclair and one from Lees   (any info on this last player would be gratefully received as I do not have his first name or where he was signed from).

No good day is complete without a win over the wee rose though and in 1957 the BU's travelled to Prestonfield in search of league points.  They returned to Bo'ness with a 2-1 win under their belts.  The line-up was;  Ronald, Taggart, Gavin, Collumbine, Garth, McBlain, Walker, Hunter, Young, Trialist, Ormond.  (I believe the trialist that day was A Calder as he appeared as a signed player for the next few games.  Iny info on his full first name and source would be great).   A double from Willie Young secured the points that day.  Willie had first appeared for the BU's in 1950, before playing for Alloa, Hamilton and Stenhousemuir in the seniors.

I’ll ask uncle Eric for you 

On 05/01/2019 at 21:48, Jambo'ness said:

When did Eric Sinclair sign for Boness ,he signed for Dundee 1974 from Kilsyth Rangers? 

4 hours ago, desmond tutu said:

When did Eric Sinclair sign for Boness ,he signed for Dundee 1974 from Kilsyth Rangers? 

Eric signed in March 1971 after scoring as a trialist in a 4-0 home win over Bathgate.  He left for Kilsyth at the end of the 73/4 season.

The 7th is another busy day in history.  One recent local match catches the eye, back in 2012.  League opponents that day were Linlithgow away and it ended in a stalemate of 2-2.  Chris Donnelly & Lee Duffy netting.

However, the spotlight again falls on 1984 as the BU's made another stride towards Cup glory.  Kinnoull were the opposition at Newtown in the 3rd round of the Junior Cup and were defeated 2-1.  The team that day was; Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Beaton, Caldwell, Reid, Shields, Balanowski (Robertson), Fairley, Carroll, W Temperley.  The goals came from Lex Shields & Bobby Beaton.

A lot of impressive scorelines on the 8th down the years.  Polkemmet were beaten 9-3 in a 1949 League game, away.  Nap hands have been hit in 1994 , against Broxburn, 5-2 in the Brown Cup and in 2000 against Arniston, 5-1 in the East of Scotland Cup.

The result in 1972 tops them all.  Fauldhouse visited on League business and ended up on the end of a 9-0 hiding.  The team that whipped the 'hoose was; Gilmour, G Logan, Haggarty, Simpson, Frew, Zelman, Sinclair (Moran), Brown, Tierney, McGregor, McOwat .  We saw hat-tricks from Jimmy Tierney and Dave McOwat, with singles from Eric Sinclair, Jim Moran and a Lennie Frew penalty.

One game where I am missing our scorer is back in 1977, in the Brown Cup at Haddington.  The BU's won 1-0 but if anyone can come up with the scorer I'd be grateful.

The 9th now and a name no longer around,  Loanhead Mayflower, were the visitors in 1965 in a St Michaels Cup tie.  The BU's ran out winners by 5-2.  The team was ; Allan, Bellamy, Kennedy, Myles, Chambers, Young, Craig, Buchan, Meikle, Bloy, McManus.  The goals came from doubles from Archie Meikle and Alex Bloy and one from Sandy Myles.

In 2016 Tayport visited and the game marked the debut of Fraser Keast, who was the architect in a 3-0 win.

Only blot on the landscape was back in 1993 when Beith were visitors in the Junior Cup and returned to Ayrshire with a 2-0 win.

Allan in the above team is Bert Allan, I’m sure. He went onto be a stand up comic and after dinner speaker. He compèred a BU sportsman’s dinner at the Town Hall around 2007 / 2008. He lives in Fife and usually attends the BU games when we are there. I was speaking to him at Dundonald a few weeks ago.

I worked with Sandy Myles in the kitchens at Sun Microsystems in linlithgow in the late 90s. He lived in bainsford and retired a few years later. I bumped into him a couple of years ago when I was delivering to a care home in Blairgowrie. He had come out of retirement and was the chef.

1 hour ago, 3 Valuable Points said:

Allan in the above team is Bert Allan, I’m sure. He went onto be a stand up comic and after dinner speaker. He compèred a BU sportsman’s dinner at the Town Hall around 2007 / 2008. He lives in Fife and usually attends the BU games when we are there. I was speaking to him at Dundonald a few weeks ago.

It's certainly the same guy.  He left Bo'ness to join Oakley in October 1965.

1 hour ago, twoinarow said:

I worked with Sandy Myles in the kitchens at Sun Microsystems in linlithgow in the late 90s. He lived in bainsford and retired a few years later. I bumped into him a couple of years ago when I was delivering to a care home in Blairgowrie. He had come out of retirement and was the chef.

My wife used to work in Sun and when I mentioned the name she remembered him, saying he was a baker who made braw cakes!

My wife used to work in Sun and when I mentioned the name she remembered him, saying he was a baker who made braw cakes!
That's right. He made all the deserts and cakes. Best caramel shortcake ever. His sons worked the weekends in the canteen too.

9 minutes ago, twoinarow said:

That's right. He made all the deserts and cakes. Best caramel shortcake ever. His sons worked the weekends in the canteen too.

It's these wee stories that bring the history of club and players to life and make it all worthwhile.  I love hearing these.

The 10th now and there have been two Brown Cup ties won.  A 3-0 win at Pumpherston in 1998 and a 2-1 win at Armadale in 2004.

However, the focus falls on 1953 and a Quarter Final of the St Michaels Cup against Musselburgh played at neutral Broxburn.  Bo'ness managed a 2-0 win with this team; Ronald, Mitchell, McKeeman, Simpson, A McBlain, Paterson, McAra, Donaldson, Evans, Ross, D McBlain.  The goals came from Andy Donaldson and the trialist Stanley Evans, formerly of Petershill. 

The side were weakened by the absence of regulars Alex Grieve & Gibby Ormond,  which led to the trialist getting a game and also a relative of Andy McBlain at outside-left for his one and only appearance.

10 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

The 10th now and there have been two Brown Cup ties won.  A 3-0 win at Pumpherston in 1998 and a 2-1 win at Armadale in 2004.

However, the focus falls on 1953 and a Quarter Final of the St Michaels Cup against Musselburgh played at neutral Broxburn.  Bo'ness managed a 2-0 win with this team; Ronald, Mitchell, McKeeman, Simpson, A McBlain, Paterson, McAra, Donaldson, Evans, Ross, D McBlain.  The goals came from Andy Donaldson and the trialist Stanley Evans, formerly of Petershill. 

The side were weakened by the absence of regulars Alex Grieve & Gibby Ormond,  which led to the trialist getting a game and also a relative of Andy McBlain at outside-left for his one and only appearance.

Douglas McBlain was Andrew's brother.

For the 11th we go back to 1947 and the opponents were another team no longer around.  This time Thorntree United were defeated 8-1 at Newtown.  The side was; Bennie, W. Mitchell, Keenan, Paton, Stewart, Brash, Markie, McGowan, Anderson, McKie, McLean  The goals came from James Anderson (2), John McGowan (4), John McKie and Charlie Markie.

More recently, in 2014 The BU's travelled to Armadale and won 7-0 with seven different scorers, Steve Hislop, Stuart Hunter, Tony Jaconelli, Nicky Walker, Darren Gribben, Zander Miller and Kieran Anderson.