Bo'ness history - Day by day

A new year starts and whilst I have still to get the whole thing out there, I thought it might be interesting to find United games on each day.

Each day I'll put on some results, not necessarily all, for that day in history.

New Year's Day has always been a good one for the BU's, having played 5 Junior Cup ties on the day.  The very first, in 1947, being the stand-out result, a win over Largs Thistle at Newtown to the tune of 11-2.

The team that day was; Stanners, Keenan, Brash, Paton, Stewart, McKie, McGowan, Dickson, Anderson, Pryde, McLean.  The scorers were Pryde, McLean (5), Anderson (2), Dickson, Paton & McGowan

Top marksman, Jimmy McLean had demobbed from the Royal Scots after the war and went on to sign for St Mirren in the summer of '47.

The 2nd, historically is another date that has regularly seen Junior Cup action.  Lanark United have been the opponents twice.  Firstly in 1950, a 4th round tie was drawn 2-2 at Newtown.  Then wind forward to 1982 and a 3rd round tie, again at Newtown saw Jackie Dunn score a brace in a 2-0 win.

My favourite result comes from 1958 however, when the BU's travelled to Prestonfield in an R L Rae Cup tie and returned home over the flints with a 5-0 win under their belts.

The team that day was; Wilson, Martin, Gavin, Dair, McKenzie, Collumbine, Philp, Millar, Cummings, Sinclair, Davidson

Goals came from a hat-trick by Davie Philp, an own goal and a penalty from ex-Hamilton Accies player Tommy Dair.

Edited by Jambo'ness

The 2nd, historically is another date that has regularly seen Junior Cup action.  Lanark United have been the opponents twice.  Firstly in 1950, a 4th round tie was drawn 2-2 at Newtown.  Then wind forward to 1982 and a 3rd round tie, again at Newtown saw Jackie Dunn score a brace in a 2-0 win.
My favourite result comes from 1958 however, when the BU's travelled to Prestonfield in an R L Rae Cup tie and returned home over the flints with a 5-0 win under their belts.
The team that day was; Wilson, Martin, Gavin, Dair, McKenzie, Collumbine, Philp, Millar, Cummings, Sinclair, Davidson
Goals came from a hat-trick by Davie Philp, an own goal and a penalty from ex-Hamilton Accies player Tommy Dair.

Would that be Robert ( bobby) Wilson in goals against the Rose?

Jings. Ex-Hamilton players back then too?!

12 hours ago, Wums21 said:

2 hours ago, Standalone said:

Think it would be Wums. Bo'ness man, lived in Grangemouth, was also a referee. Could be wrong though.

Will check for sure when I get back from work and will also post some stuff for the 3rd (sneak preview, the wee rose are involved again!)

2 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Will check for sure when I get back from work and will also post some stuff for the 3rd (sneak preview, the wee rose are involved again!)

Excellent work Jambo going to bring back a lot of memories good and bad. 

17 hours ago, Wums21 said:

Indeed it was.  He played 11 competitive games for the BU's in 57/8 as understudy to future Scottish full international, Harry Thomson.

Indeed it was.  He played 11 competitive games for the BU's in 57/8 as understudy to future Scottish full international, Harry Thomson.
He is my uncle and he still lives in Grangemouth, currently in his 92nd year.
He also played for the Rose.

On to the 3rd now and unsurprisingly another date full of Junior Cup ties.  Opponents included Arthurlie, Benburb, Irvine Meadow and the now defunct Halbeath.

A recent good memory was in 2015 when the BU's triumphed 3-2 over Camelon, with goals coming from Sloan, Cowan & Donnelly.

Pride of place goes to 1984 though and the Junior Cup-winning year began in fine fashion with a 2-1 League win at Prestonfield.  Happy new year indeed!

The BU's lined up as Kirkwood, Dunleavie, McQueen, Beaton, Caldwell, Reid, Shields, Fairley, Sinnet (Balanowski), Carroll & Wilson.  Fairley & Wilson netted for the BU's.

On to the 3rd now and unsurprisingly another date full of Junior Cup ties.  Opponents included Arthurlie, Benburb, Irvine Meadow and the now defunct Halbeath.
A recent good memory was in 2015 when the BU's triumphed 3-2 over Camelon, with goals coming from Sloan, Cowan & Donnelly.
Pride of place goes to 1984 though and the Junior Cup-winning year began in fine fashion with a 2-1 League win at Prestonfield.  Happy new year indeed!
The BU's lined up as Kirkwood, Dunleavie, McQueen, Beaton, Caldwell, Reid, Shields, Fairley, Sinnet (Balanowski), Carroll & Wilson.  Fairley & Wilson netted for the BU's.

Caldwell being Steven and Gary’s father?

2 hours ago, Wums21 said:

He is my uncle and he still lives in Grangemouth, currently in his 92nd year.
He also played for the Rose.

Remember Bobby refereeing 70's /  80's - strict but efficient and liked a bit of banter on the pitch 

Loving the wee snippets of info coming to light.  Makes it all more personal for fans.

The 4th now and a relative dearth of games, with only 4 played on that date in the club's history.

From 1947, 3 days after thumping Largs by 11 goals, we went one better and took apart Ormiston Primrose ,away, 12-0.  The highlight being six goals from Willie Dickson.  The four scored by Jimmy Anderson seem to pale in comparison.

The spotlight for today falls on 1966, where the BU's began a marathon four game struggle against Larkhall Thistle in the 3rd round of the Junior Cup.  It ended in a 2-2 draw through there and the BU's lined up thus; Preston, Blackley, Kennedy, Broome, Chambers, Myles, Caproni, McFarlane, Meikle, Philp & Komorowski.  The goals came from McFarlane & Myles.

Does anyone know if the Davie Philp playing in that game was the same as the hat-trick hero against the wee rose in 1958?

Remember Bobby refereeing 70's /  80's - strict but efficient and liked a bit of banter on the pitch 
I remember he booked me in the changing room before a game once just to save himself time later because he knew I would take liberties on the pitch later because he was my uncle, lol
I didn't, had a blinder and he had to score it out his book.
"Durty Bo'ness " was his usual cry on the pitch.
Whit a character.

I remember he booked me in the changing room before a game once just to save himself time later because he knew I would take liberties on the pitch later because he was my uncle, lol
I didn't, had a blinder and he had to score it out his book.
"Durty Bo'ness " was his usual cry on the pitch.
Whit a character.
Like a wee browse through the lower league threads, some good stories. Oh and great avatar mate [emoji106][emoji106]