1/2 term review

Appreciate some teams are still to play game 18 but we are close enough. Do give us your thoughts on your teams...

BEST PLAYER 

WORST PLAYER

MANAGER RATING  

BEST SIGNING

WORST SIGNING 

MOST IMPROVED

WINNING THE LEAGUE 

PLAYOFFS 

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE  

HIGHLIGHT 

LOWLIGHT  

BEST PLAYER Barry Cuddihy for his consistency and making right back his own

WORST PLAYER Joe Gorman won't be missed

MANAGER RATING 8.5/10 occasional mystifying tactics but usually excellent

BEST SIGNING John Rankin slow start but stand out now

WORST SIGNING Joe Gorman won't be missed

MOST IMPROVED Martin McNiff continues to get better every year

WINNING THE LEAGUE Peterhead (Sorry Edinburgh)

PLAYOFFS Clyde (Sorry Edinburgh)

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE Rory McAlister

HIGHLIGHT winning at Berwick from 2-0 down

LOWLIGHT  The home games against Edinburgh in the League Cup and League didn't turn up for either

Edinburgh City to win the league,Peterhead to win play offs.

Best player in league either McCallister or Goodwillie.

Annan best player : wee winger Johnston.

Manager : very organised  gets the best  out o the guys.Been very unlucky Swinglehurst missed so many games through injury.

No slagging any guy for wearing the jersey -  they'Re only doin their best.

Have a Happy New Year fellow League 2 fans. 

BEST PLAYER - Although we have been largely poor for most of the season so far, DANNY JARDINE has been the 1 consistent performer and in my opinion, has been our best player and has a big future in the game.

WORST PLAYER - Simply MARK STEWART. He has been injured since KR took over, but he has been truly awful this season. Would be classed as a senior pro, but has lacked everything for us so far and been a major disappointment. Is on a 2 year deal so he has time to turn things around, but I don’t hold any hope of that happening.

MANAGER RATING  - 10 out of 10 so far. Has only been in charge for 8 games but when you consider the mess that he picked up, and throw in the fact that we have only lost to Edinburgh City & Peterhead under him, teams that “have different agendas to us at this moment in time”, then it’s been bloody good. He’s galvanised the squad, has improved players and has got the majority of the support believing again.

BEST SIGNING - You could mention a couple of players for this, but I’m going for DYLAN MACKIN. The big Striker is what we have lacked up front for years, probably since Jordan White left, and has come in and bossed games, it’s vital that he stays until the end of the season.....but hopefully he’ll be around for longer.

WORST SIGNING - MARK STEWART for the reasons above.

MOST IMPROVED - There has been huge improvements throughout the team under KR, but I’m going to opt for DOMINIC DOCHERTY. He looked like a real dud under Mackay and it looked as though he’d be another Development League player that couldn’t handle it against men in League 2, but under KR he’s become a vital player for the club who looks like a class act at this level and has scored a couple of real crackers.

WINNING THE LEAGUE - Great to see Edinburgh City do so well, but I still think PETERHEAD will win it.

PLAYOFFS - mmmmmm, not sure at this moment in time, it’ll be the team with the momentum, but I fully expect Edinburgh & Clyde to be in the mix.

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE  - Rory McAllistair is the obvious choice, as is David Goodwillie but I would always have RORY in my team if I could, guaranteed goals.

BEST GOALKEEPER IN LEAGUE - Being a keeper, I always think it’s unfair that they are overlooked, so I’ve added it in. Best keeper I have seen this season has to be CALLUM ANTELL, really impressed with him.

HIGHLIGHT - Not sure exactly when it was, but the day that the bad apples all walked away from the club, and their associates bid crumbled before it got off the ground. These b*****ds (and their friends) have pulled this club down and dragged it through the gutter for years and have damaged us in so many ways, I’m sure they will come back again, but at least NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY POWER TO INFLUENCE ANYTHING [emoji23]. On the field, beating Elgin City 5-2 after being 2 - 0 down. This proved to many that we are back on the right track again and it was a great day at Forthbank.

LOWLIGHT  - Losing 3-0 to Albion Rovers, Dave Mackay’s last game as manager, was a very very dark day. I liked Dave and wanted him to succeed as manager but was never really convinced by him. It was clear before this game that a change would have to be made, the board gave him every chance but that day at Cliftonhill was absolutely horrendous and will live long In supporters memories.

BEST PLAYER Daryl Healey. Great signing by Robbie Horn, and until recently our only threat in attack. 

WORST PLAYER That's difficult. Will go for Aaron Murrell. Had plenty of chances to impress - and hasn't. Seems somehow unfair to pick on one though, as there are several candidates. 

MANAGER RATING  10/10 Convinced that Johnny Harvey will go on to be one of our best managers ever. 

BEST SIGNING Lewis Barr. Great player who will be instrumental as we fly up the league in 2019 (gulp) 

WORST SIGNING Alexandre Happi. Possibly. Never saw him play, but if he couldn't get into our defence.... 

MOST IMPROVED Paul Willis. Always had skill, now has work rate too. 

WINNING THE LEAGUE Peterhead

PLAYOFFS Edinburgh, Clyde, Berwick

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE  That twat Goodwillie

HIGHLIGHT Winning the half time draw last week

LOWLIGHT  The Summer Boardroom wars. Screwed up the first half of our season, destroyed a perfectly decent manager and was generally a complete embarrassment to our club. Made the Brexit debate look all grown up and sophisticated. 

Best player- Dave McGurn , also best keeper in league.

Worst-  not going to slate individuals

manager rating- 8/10, has broken a 4 year period of relegations and finishing bottom to get us mid table. It’s very difficult when everything is so negative. 

Best signing- Deas loan from Celtic. 

Most improved- Mullen improves at right back

league winner- Peterhead 

best player- Mcallister 

playoffs - Edinburgh 

highlights- not having to stress about relegation play off (so far!) and winning a couple of cup games then drawing rangers. Not because it’s them but because the club really needs the money and it gives the board a wee break from putting their own cash in

lowlights- haven’t beaten Albion rovers in 2 attempts! 

6 hours ago, Redcar said:

MANAGER RATING  10/10 Convinced that Johnny Harvey will go on to be one of our best managers ever. 

How is there so much optimism about Harvey?

His managerial track record is much the same as Robbie's being a decent junior manager with probably a few quid behind him at that level. A serious question and not a piss take.

BEST PLAYER: Probably Jordan Hart. Not a keeper in the league I'd pick over him. 

WORST PLAYER: Don't like to single players out. There's nobody that's absolutely stand out shite. 

MANAGER RATING: Inherited a decent squad, made a great start and then hit the skids. Still trying to put his stamp on things, so it's too early to judge. Seems a thoroughly decent guy, though. 

BEST SIGNING Jordan Hart

WORST SIGNING None

MOST IMPROVED James Grant will end up at a full time team. Made the right back position his own. 

WINNING THE LEAGUE: Edinburgh, by a considerable distance, have been the best side I've seen. 

PLAYOFFS: Peterhead

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE: The rapist

HIGHLIGHT: Beating TNS away

LOWLIGHT: Elgin at home was a 13/14 Airdrie performance. Grim. 

BEST PLAYER – At least six or seven choices, but I would say Marc Laird.

WORST PLAYER – I can't fault the ability or attitude of a single player in our squad this season.

MANAGER RATING – 9.5 out of 10.  James McDonaugh is just going to get better, so he doesn't get a "10" at this moment.

BEST SIGNING – Conrad Balatoni, probably – although it could have been Blair Henderson who slots perfectly into the target man position, and why the f**k did Stirling Albion let Andy Black leave?  Not that we're objecting.

WORST SIGNING – see "worst player".

MOST IMPROVED – Callum Antell is having a superb season just now; 10 competitive shut-outs, lowest goals against in the whole of the SPFL, brilliant penalty save which got us into the semis of the Irn-Bru Cup.  Blair Henderson only signed for us this season and was scoring for fun right from the start, but now he is even more confident and adept than he was four months ago.

WINNING THE LEAGUE – Edinburgh City. 

PLAYOFFS – Peterhead, Clyde, Annan Athletic.  Elgin City are too inconsistent.

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE – David Goodwillie.  Big Davie McGurn at Cowdenbeath is majestic, but DGW makes my guts clench up any time the ball looks like coming to him.

HIGHLIGHT – Has to be beating Alloa on penalties in the Irn-Bru Cup.

LOWLIGHT – Five years ago when we were in the Lowland League a draw at Shielfield would have been the highlight of our season.  Now, pissing away two goals in two minutes (plus four minutes added on) is a calamity.

Guest TOPFITTER

BEST PLAYER  Mick Dunlop
WORST PLAYER Kav
MANAGER RATING   Rather not say
BEST SIGNING Del
 WORST SIGNING  Kav
MOST IMPROVED Scotty
WINNING THE LEAGUE  Edinburgh
PLAYOFFS  Peterhead
BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE   Gibson
HIGHLIGHT  Berwick 2-2 Edinburgh
LOWLIGHT   Refs and QP food/drink prices

BEST PLAYER  Mick Dunlop
WORST PLAYER Kav
BEST SIGNING Del
 WORST SIGNING  Kav
MOST IMPROVED Scotty
PLAYOFFS  Peterhead

Must admit, I’m surprised that Kav has been so poor for you. I think he’s an average League 2 player, but he wasn’t a bad player during his time at The Albion.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

How is there so much optimism about Harvey?

His managerial track record is much the same as Robbie's being a decent junior manager with probably a few quid behind him at that level. A serious question and not a piss take.

Fair enough. And I may be wrong. But to me he comes across as more positively enthusiastic and ambitious, with a bit more of a ruthless streak. Demanding and not someone you mess with, he won't give 3rd chances. His quick and unusual recruiting of 3 former Penicuik players that he could rely on, shows that he will take no prisoners to get what he wants. 

That is not to say Robbie was lacking in all of those things, but I just think Harvey edges it. 

Also, (and I know this has nothing to do with their relative qualities) he has been lucky in that he has  a Board that will support him.  Robbie was in the right place but at a very wrong time. 

20 hours ago, TOPFITTER said:

BEST PLAYER  Mick Dunlop
WORST PLAYER Kav
BEST SIGNING Del
 WORST SIGNING  Kav
MOST IMPROVED Scotty
PLAYOFFS  Peterhead

He would struggle to be in the top 10 at Peterhead.  Best in the league???  The question is:  Given the amount of booze you must have consumed to come up with this, will you be under the limit for making the trip on Saturday? :lol:

19 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Must admit, I’m surprised that Kav has been so poor for you. I think he’s an average League 2 player, but he wasn’t a bad player during his time at The Albion.

He wouldn't be bad for us either if the manager would give him more than 10mins on the pitch and our other players would actually pass to him.  I think there is definitely a clique and he isn't part of it.

BEST PLAYER  Jamie Stevenson by a long distance.  
WORST PLAYER Gibson.  Not necessarily all down to him as he has been played in some strange positions this year but too many games this year he has been anonymous and his deadball skills (Cowdenbeath free kick excepted) has been woeful.
MANAGER RATING   3/10 - Shouldn't even be in charge this year.
BEST SIGNING - Dow even though it was only on a short term loan.  He will be missed over the remainder of the season
WORST SIGNING - Jim McInally
WINNING THE LEAGUE  Peterhead
PLAYOFFS  Edinburgh, Clyde, Annan

21 hours ago, TOPFITTER said:

BEST PLAYER  Mick Dunlop
WORST PLAYER Kav
BEST SIGNING Del
 WORST SIGNING  Kav
MOST IMPROVED Scotty
PLAYOFFS  Peterhead

To be put in the same category as referees (and their pantomime horses I assume?) shows just how bad the Third Hampden experience has become for us. Shameful :(  Onwards and upwards.

I'm surprised there isn't a "Well, nobody saw that coming, did they?" category. Or maybe "Which sex offender's crime was the worst" category. Both popular across the first half of the season. And howabout "Who'll replace Rovers in L2 next season?" And then there's the old favourite..."Which player from an opposing team do you hate because of their winding-up of your fans but actually wish they played for your team" category.

BEST PLAYER – Gareth Rodger

WORST PLAYER – Unfair to say!   :angel

MANAGER RATING – 9.25  Has done a great Job turning our team around since he arrived.  Does make strange substitutions though.

BEST SIGNING –  Blair Henderson  or Andy Black

WORST SIGNING – Most, of our signings have worked out well

MOST IMPROVED – Blair Henderson has always been a good league 2 goalscorer. Maybe just playing in a winning team is helping his total now.

WINNING THE LEAGUE – Edinburgh City will win it.  Have some good players to return from injury soon, (plus our very wealthy owners will no doubt flex their financial muscle AGAIN in January!!!)

PLAYOFFS – Hopefully Peterhead!  (Whatever happens, Edinburgh and Peterhead BOTH, deserve to go up this season)

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE – Gareth Rodger.   Can't believe bigger teams haven't been in for him.  :thumsup2

HIGHLIGHT –   There's been many good times since August!

LOWLIGHT –  The finish of the  2-2 (loss) at Berwick last week is the only time I've been disappointed with the team this season.

2 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

BEST PLAYER – Gareth Rodger

WORST PLAYER – Unfair to say!   :angel

MANAGER RATING – 9.25  Has done a great Job turning our team around since he arrived.  Does make strange substitutions though.

BEST SIGNING –  Blair Henderson  or Andy Black

WORST SIGNING – Most, of our signings have worked out well

MOST IMPROVED – Blair Henderson has always been a good league 2 goalscorer. Maybe just playing in a winning team is helping his total now.

WINNING THE LEAGUE – Edinburgh City will win it.  Have some good players to return from injury soon, (plus our very wealthy owners will no doubt flex their financial muscle AGAIN in January!!!)

PLAYOFFS – Hopefully Peterhead!  (Whatever happens, Edinburgh and Peterhead BOTH, deserve to go up this season)

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE – Gareth Rodger.   Can't believe bigger teams haven't been in for him.  :thumsup2

HIGHLIGHT –   There's been many good times since August!

LOWLIGHT –  The finish of the  2-2 (loss) at Berwick last week is the only time I've been disappointed with the team this season.

Ooh some of your fellow City fans on here won't be happy according to them you didn't spend money although they probably believe in the tooth fairy.

5 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Ooh some of your fellow City fans on here won't be happy according to them you didn't spend money although they probably believe in the tooth fairy.

Och.....I should have put a smiley face thing next to that bit!  Sorry!

BEST PLAYER : They've all been good but Balatoni seems to be (almost) the new Big Joe so he can get it. 

WORST PLAYER: No-one really. How boring. 

MANAGER RATING  : Meh, he's all right. So we'll give him pass marks. 

BEST SIGNING: Balatoni as mentioned. Although Black and Blair Henderson are also in the category. City have actually made some fine signings.

WORST SIGNING: No-one really.  

MOST IMPROVED: Calum Antell has turned into a good goalie this season so we'll give it to him. 

WINNING THE LEAGUE : Clyde of course. "The same as last year?" "The same as every year".

PLAYOFFS : Peterheid. Maybe City. The Binos as dark horses?  

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE: David McGurn of Cowdenbeath.   

HIGHLIGHT : Arbroath 1 City 4. On the telly and all. 

LOWLIGHT  : Winning the half time raffle at Haddington (ten quid, in yer faces) and then contracting cellulitis days later because those tight East Lothian b*****ds put a curse on the money. 

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

BEST PLAYER : They've all been good but Balatoni seems to be (almost) the new Big Joe so he can get it. 

WORST PLAYER: No-one really. How boring. 

MANAGER RATING  : Meh, he's all right. So we'll give him pass marks. 

BEST SIGNING: Balatoni as mentioned. Although Black and Blair Henderson are also in the category. City have actually made some fine signings.

WORST SIGNING: No-one really.  

MOST IMPROVED: Calum Antell has turned into a good goalie this season so we'll give it to him. 

WINNING THE LEAGUE : Clyde of course. "The same as last year?" "The same as every year".

PLAYOFFS : Peterheid. Maybe City. The Binos as dark horses?  

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE: David McGurn of Cowdenbeath.   

HIGHLIGHT : Arbroath 1 City 4. On the telly and all. 

LOWLIGHT  : Winning the half time raffle at Haddington (ten quid, in yer faces) and then contracting cellulitis days later because those tight East Lothian b*****ds put a curse on the money. 

Course we’ll win the league Tam. Never in doubt. It’ll never be in doubt till we win it ! 

It’s been a dreadful few years being a fan of the Bully Wee. To think we used to moan about Craig Brown when he had us a solid 2nd tier side capable of handing out the odd hammering and Scottish Cup shock. 

Archived