QP v Albion Rovers

an86

25 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

You have to have the cash to offer two year deals. Clubs like Airdrie, with double our crowds, can only offer contracts that cover the 10 months of the season. Hence we have to hope that the youth system provides the nucleus of our team, although all too many are lured away with unreasonable offers by agents and / or pro contracts.

Sorry for being thick but I don't understand that reply. Each season you have a playing budget so what difference does it make if the player is on 1, 2, or 3 years contracts. If he gets £x per week he gets £x per week and surely that is easier to budget as you know you  are paying that for next season too?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

Sorry for being thick but I don't understand that reply. Each season you have a playing budget so what difference does it make if the player is on 1, 2, or 3 years contracts. If he gets £x per week he gets £x per week and surely that is easier to budget as you know you  are paying that for next season too?

We don't pay anything at the moment, therefore no budget exists. Where will the money for initial contracts come from? Without a benefactor that will be difficult.

5 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

We don't pay anything at the moment, therefore no budget exists. Where will the money for initial contracts come from? Without a benefactor that will be difficult.

We must have a playing budget! I assume  expenses, travel costs, boots, hotels, meals, team bus, medical costs, insurance. We also spend money on Youth Development, Community Programmes etc. Going Professional would need a radical rethink off our expenditure. It would also require more income generation to fund increased costs. It would not be easy and may ultimately fail. 

That could also be said of staying amateur, getting relegated to the Lowland League (or lower if a proper pyramid system comes in). 

We currently average 500-600 crowds. If we go to the Lowland League for a few seasons what would we get 100-200. Is that enough to sustain the Club. I think not.

Whichever way we go we will split the support and could ultimately lose our Club. Do we stick or twist?  

However, teams with less infrastructure and fan base manage it. Smaller clubs like Edinburgh City and Clyde are making it work. 

City and Clyde are decent this year but Clyde have been pish for 10 years. City...well, someone must have invested in them. They're not enlisting guys like Balatoni (?) on gate receipts worse than ours.

On 06/01/2019 at 12:27, The Spider said:

To return to the original question though, nobody knows the answer to that one  because neither the President nor the Committee have the power to make that decision as it would require a change in the club's constitution and therefore only the members can decide. Opinion is strongly divided, so anyone who tells you that they already know what the outcome of that vote would be is either a liar or a clairvoyant.

Should that EGM ever come to pass then I suspect the Committee would present with two potential scenarios, neither of which could be treated as gospel, but this is probably what the membership would be told....................if we turned professional then we would stand a better chance of maintaining our league status, but if we remained amateur there would an increased risk of demotion. Whether an accurate representation of the future or not, such a choice would split the membership as some support the club by virtue of it being their local team whose status is irrelevant, whilst others were first attracted by the uniqueness of their current status, and would still follow them irrespective of what league they were in.

I guess East Stirlingshire fans who still follow their side are best qualified to proffer opinion on what they would recommend, but the only certainty is this. If such a vote is ever held, the feeling of some on either side of the fence is so strong that whatever the outcome, going forward the club will have less members and supporters than it did before the vote and that surely can't be a good thing.

This was mentioned at a previous meeting, but the constitution refers to members of the club, not players. There is nothing to stop the committee handing out professional contracts tomorrow without an EGM.

It would however be a brave committee that went down that route without the members agreement.

38 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

City and Clyde are decent this year but Clyde have been pish for 10 years. City...well, someone must have invested in them. They're not enlisting guys like Balatoni (?) on gate receipts worse than ours.

Yep. I'll hold my hands up and say I honestly don't know what the answer is. Clear that a discussion is going to have to take place, though.

I suspect the overwhelming majority will continue to back the club, whether it is semi-pro or amateur, or SPFL or Lowland League. As a support, it's not like anyone is in this one for the glory, so I don't hold a great fear of plummeting attendances. However, it has long been my opinion that we need to get our faces out into the community more. That's now going to be even more important than ever. 

2 hours ago, JT1867 said:

This was mentioned at a previous meeting, but the constitution refers to members of the club, not players. There is nothing to stop the committee handing out professional contracts tomorrow without an EGM.

That surprises me as I'm sure I've seen reference to the business being that of an amateur football club. Haven't read the booklet for years now, but will need to dig it out and refresh my memory. In the event that the committee has the power to do that I'd very much doubt they would call an EGM, and would simply put it to the vote at Committee level.

19 hours ago, JT1867 said:

It would however be a brave committee that went down that route without the members agreement.

Bravery or stupity wouldn't come into it. The intimation is that to finance a semi-pro set-up would require money input by others on a regular basis. Such types are not the blazer-types and so it seems to be understood that despite whatever the constitutional words might say, the decision making processes at the club would be led by the money man (or woman) and not a committee, voted for by the members.  As is the case at most football clubs nowadays. If the committee-led membership is to continue as the management model then the club needs to find ways to raise the revenue needed, and on an ongoing basis.  With the exception of the Chairman, the committee doesn't have a track record of demonstrating that. Fiscal prudence has been good, speculative investment non-existent.

Turkeys voting for Christmas.

17 hours ago, The Spider said:

That surprises me as I'm sure I've seen reference to the business being that of an amateur football club. Haven't read the booklet for years now, but will need to dig it out and refresh my memory. In the event that the committee has the power to do that I'd very much doubt they would call an EGM, and would simply put it to the vote at Committee level.

Always best to check, we wouldn't want a Berwick Rangers scenario!

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

QP posters: how about continuing your domestic discussions in your own thread? 

Agreed, even though I have no desire for anyone to discuss the events of Saturday's game any more 

• 1 month later...

Archived