QP v Albion Rovers

an86

Big game for both sides. We need to stem the flow and Rovers really need wins quickly. They had a decent point on Saturday against a decent Annan side and our inability to score, coupled with our generosity at the other end, makes this far from a gimme. Hopefully have the likes of Hawke and Gerry back in to bolster us. It's a game we *should* win, but we've seen those before.... 

As an aside, we're the only senior game in Glasgow on Saturday. Great to see the club making huge efforts to take advantage of that by doing precisely nothing in terms of offers and local advertising. We had 2000 in against Clyde a few years ago under similar circumstances. However, it'll be a £14 walk up and a crowd of 500. Another missed opportunity to get folk through the gate during the winter break for the top league. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you just love the dynamic thinking of our committee!!!! Really on the ball. 

I have seen so many games over the years that we should win that we didn't that Saturday could be a nervy time. I do hope not. Assuming Gerry and Hawke back we have the potential to make this the start of a decent run. I will be happy to take 1-0.

We need to score first, if we don't the heads go down. Get at them right from the first whistle. As I said in previous post I expect Gerry to come in and replace Jambo in the back line. 

Interesting to see if Mark sticks with the back three. Or whether he drops big Lewis and goes with Gerry and Dom. If he goes back to a back four. I would like to see Jambo and McGrory in there allowing Jambo to room. Push Kurtis forward he is wasted in a centre midfield role and I don't think he and Jambo are suited to playing together. Smart was brought in from Siberia last weekend but don't think the position suited him. Gow or Kurtis would've better in there.  

Wouldn't necessarily be against the same shape. Don't think we can just go totally gung ho and leave the back door open. Thought Rovers looked better than the 3-0 scoreline suggested at Cliftonhill. For once, we were clinical. 

As WB said, I'd be happy with 1-0 as well. Points on the board is the name of the game. We need to stop the recent bleeding. 

Sadly, our regular home support is deserting us; that's my concern. Hopefully they come out on Saturday but we do need something to cheer.

Gerry's return should cut out some of the recent defensive shortcomings. But we desperately need to convert the chances we create. Where are you, Jamie Longworth?

On 12/31/2018 at 23:36, Hampden Diehard said:

Where are you, Jamie Longworth?

East Kilbride. With his old pal Craig Malcolm. Looking good for promotion. Currently on a nine-game winning streak. Paul Woods and Bernard Coll also featured here.  Anton Brady a "fan's favourite". Jamie's goal at 9:15 if you can't bear to watch the rest. EK also third in the reserve league 2 at the moment. Tidy outfit.

If guys with experience are enjoying their football at a well run club like this why would they bother with QP or AR?  Something to think about for the future.

19 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

East Kilbride. With his old pal Craig Malcolm. Looking good for promotion. Currently on a nine-game winning streak. Paul Woods and Bernard Coll also featured here.  Anton Brady a "fan's favourite". Jamie's goal at 9:15 if you can't bear to watch the rest. EK also third in the reserve league 2 at the moment. Tidy outfit.

If guys with experience are enjoying their football at a well run club like this why would they bother with QP or AR?  Something to think about for the future.

East Kilbride coming up would be detrimental to us. Last thing we need is another club on our doorstep playing league football and able to offer decent terms. Should they get there, I will be cheering on whoever is playing them in the playoffs. 

QP have gone through a bit of lean spell. Don't worry guys Rovers will get you back on the rails again.

Harper was talking to the Advertiser about getting in at least 6 new players possibly as many as 12 in the transfer window. This is all dependent of course on persuading the existing players under contract that their saturdays are best spent elsewhere. Anyways looks like this saturday will be too soon to expect any changes to our luck.

52 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

QP have gone through a bit of lean spell. Don't worry guys Rovers will get you back on the rails again.

Harper was talking to the Advertiser about getting in at least 6 new players possibly as many as 12 in the transfer window. This is all dependent of course on persuading the existing players under contract that their saturdays are best spent elsewhere. Anyways looks like this saturday will be too soon to expect any changes to our luck.

We've been "sharing" quite a bit of our luck recently Vodka Vic. Never say never. 

8 hours ago, an86 said:

East Kilbride coming up would be detrimental to us. Last thing we need is another club on our doorstep playing league football and able to offer decent terms. Should they get there, I will be cheering on whoever is playing them in the playoffs. 

Seems reasonably likely (at the moment) that either East Kilbride or Cove Rangers will replace Albion in the league for next season.  (Good luck to Albion Rovers btw!, good club!)

Both teams trying to progress, could go either way.  Who'd be better for the league?  

As for Saturday, 1-0  to QP.

28 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Seems reasonably likely (at the moment) that either East Kilbride or Cove Rangers will replace Albion in the league for next season.  (Good luck to Albion Rovers btw!, good club!)

Both teams trying to progress, could go either way.  Who'd be better for the league?  

As for Saturday, 1-0  to QP.

Would like to see Rovers stay up for a number of reasons. A lot of good folk in their support and I enjoy Cliftonhill as a stadium. 

Other reasons are the aforementioned EK shopping in our market with decent backing. Cove were horrendous losers against Cowdenbeath and Alan Mcrae is a w****r, so would quite enjoy seeing them fail. 

Back to the game. More than a bit of trepidation and it's obvious the guys have lost the confidence a wee bit. Both Gerry and Lewis back in the squad. Fingers and toes crossed. There's been a few slips at the back but for me it's shots on target that'll make the difference. Martin on the left and McLean on the right to widen the pitch and leave room for midfielders to charge in on goal. Hawke and Peters up front.

It'll be tight. A one goal advantage to QP will satisfy me.  

These guys will be well paid at EK, despite their poor crowds. As has happened with EK, we might be looking for people to come into the Club with money in the future (sadly). Not sure it should be at the expense of losing control to some of the "characters" that are involved at some of the emerging, and successful like EK, clubs below us in the structure though.

9 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Rovers have signed ex QP Gregor Fotheringham. Ok Spiders tell me that this is signing of the century.

Under appreciated. That thankless role of breaking up play and passing the ball. Doesn't snap anyone or score many goals, except his inevitable one tomorrow, so he's an easy target for "no daein anything." Will improve your current squad and I wish him well after 4.50pm tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

Rovers have signed ex QP Gregor Fotheringham. Ok Spiders tell me that this is signing of the century.

Don't know if you remember Giuseppe Capuano who played for us and Clyde. Similar to him in the respect that he'll be anonymous in many games whilst doing a decent job in the non-creative side of a defensive midfielder's game. Open to debate as to the value of such players when you lack creativity in your team, but can equally be argued that those type of players allow "luxury" players to concentrate on the fancy Dan element. If ''Rovers have had pedestrian midfielders up till now then you'll at least see a much improved work-rate in that area.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Under appreciated. That thankless role of breaking up play and passing the ball. Doesn't snap anyone or score many goals, except his inevitable one tomorrow, so he's an easy target for "no daein anything." Will improve your current squad and I wish him well after 4.50pm tomorrow. 

What he said. All the best Gregor.

He'll score the winner tomorrow; get yer mortgage on it.

He had a really terrific spell for us sandwiched between two indifferent spells. Nice lad and I'd love him to do well but I hope he has a howler if he plays tomorrow.

Archived