Half Term Report Card

We're now all at either the halfway stage of the season, or in the second half - which makes it the ideal time for a new version of this. Same questions still apply, so has much changed since October? Back then I tipped Montrose for tenth, us for the playoffs and Raith for the league...That might've all changed...

Best Player at your club

Ross Forbes. Dom Thomas runs him close, but Forbes pips him based on end product. The guy is far, far too good for us and this league in general. His goals and assists have won us ten points to date and, if we had someone who could finish, it would've been a whole lot more.

Worst Player at your club

I said Ross Perry in October, but he semi-redeemed himself by actually looking bothered on the pitch. Grant Adam is also a shout based on being rubbish and injured, but I'm going for Willie Dyer. Possibly one of the worst players I've seen pull on a Sons kit in recent years. 

Manager(s) at your club Rating

Form hasn't been sensational under Duffy, but there have been a few positives and it's difficult to fully judge him when he's spent most of the time with 13 players. I no longer want to flick my own eyeballs out with a spoon when I watch us, so that's a major plus. Lets go for an optimistic 7/10

Best Signing of the summer at your club?

Ross Forbes.

Worst Signing at your club

So much competition for one position. But lets go with Willie Dyer again. When he's not injured he's costing us points (see also Adam, Grant, Perry, Ross).

Most Improved Player at your club

I'm not sure anyone's really improved. If pushed I'd go for Stuart Carswell. I've always loved him, but he's doing a good job at centre-half at the moment. Him, Forbes and Cammy Ballantyne are probably the only three players we have who have maintained consistently decent performances this season.

Who's winning the League?

Arbroath. 

Who's making the playoffs?

Raith - Full-time and plenty of attacking quality
East Fife - Seem to be great when they aren't playing us
Forfar Athletic - Best team I've seen this season, evidenced by the fact they've very comfortably beaten us on both occasions. Quality all over the park, and a terrific goalscorer in Baird.

Who's finishing 9th?

Brechin City - Look like they're in a rut.

Who's going down?

Stenhousemuir - Actually have looked better than Brechin, and have an excellent goalkeeper and good goalscorer in McGuigan, but like us last season they don't seem to win games when they play well - and that'll cost them. Especially if (as rumoured on the match thread) Harry Paton returns to Ross County.

Best player in the league?

It's still Lewis Vaughan lads, he just seems to be injured all the time these days. When he's on form Dom Thomas runs him very close though. I'm a huge fan of Ricky Little and Thomas O'Brien at Arbroath as well - but defenders just aren't cool enough to merit 'best in the league' crowns.

Highlight so far of the season…

Dom Thomas tearing Brechin City to shreds in early December. One of the best attacking performances I've ever seen from a Dumbarton player. He was on another level. Stevie Aitken's tweets last week are worth a mention too though...

Lowlight...

Raith Rovers. 0-4. Half-time. Stevie Aitken. Think that just about sums things up.

We're now all at either the halfway stage of the season, or in the second half - which makes it the ideal time for a new version of this. Same questions still apply, so has much changed since October? Back then I tipped Montrose for tenth, us for the playoffs and Raith for the league...That might've all changed...
Best Player at your club
Ross Forbes. Dom Thomas runs him close, but Forbes pips him based on end product. The guy is far, far too good for us and this league in general. His goals and assists have won us ten points to date and, if we had someone who could finish, it would've been a whole lot more.
I said Ross Perry in October, but he semi-redeemed himself by actually looking bothered on the pitch. Grant Adam is also a shout based on being rubbish and injured, but I'm going for Willie Dyer. Possibly one of the worst players I've seen pull on a Sons kit in recent years. 
Form hasn't been sensational under Duffy, but there have been a few positives and it's difficult to fully judge him when he's spent most of the time with 13 players. I no longer want to flick my own eyeballs out with a spoon when I watch us, so that's a major plus. Lets go for an optimistic 7/10
Ross Forbes.
So much competition for one position. But lets go with Willie Dyer again. When he's not injured he's costing us points (see also Adam, Grant, Perry, Ross).
I'm not sure anyone's really improved. If pushed I'd go for Stuart Carswell. I've always loved him, but he's doing a good job at centre-half at the moment. Him, Forbes and Cammy Ballantyne are probably the only three players we have who have maintained consistently decent performances this season.
Arbroath. 
Forfar Athletic - Best team I've seen this season, evidenced by the fact they've very comfortably beaten us on both occasions. Quality all over the park, and a terrific goalscorer in Baird.
Who's finishing 9th?
Who's going down?
Stenhousemuir - Actually have looked better than Brechin, and have an excellent goalkeeper and good goalscorer in McGuigan, but like us last season they don't seem to win games when they play well - and that'll cost them. Especially if (as rumoured on the match thread) Harry Paton returns to Ross County.
It's still Lewis Vaughan lads, he just seems to be injured all the time these days. When he's on form Dom Thomas runs him very close though. I'm a huge fan of Ricky Little and Thomas O'Brien at Arbroath as well - but defenders just aren't cool enough to merit 'best in the league' crowns.
Dom Thomas tearing Brechin City to shreds in early December. One of the best attacking performances I've ever seen from a Dumbarton player. He was on another level. Stevie Aitken's tweets last week are worth a mention too though...
Lowlight...
Raith Rovers. 0-4. Half-time. Stevie Aitken. Think that just about sums things up.
No great complaints with any of that, save for Worst Signing - surely with around 136 minutes of game time in total, Rory Loy must be in with a shout, no ? At least Dyer has been seen on the park to merit his nomination !

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
22 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:
 Thanks for the template help to my poor I.T. "Ross Forbes"
Best Player at your club
Despite his lack of goals Dale Carrick
Hard to say as no one has been that bad?
Findlay-Dire/ Murray -on the way up
For his goals Leighton Mcintosh  but "best" is stretching it 
Jonathan Page has been a huge disappointment
Recently Chris O'Neil thanks to Murray
 Arbroath
I think we might just edge out the others
finishing 9th?
If Dumbarton don't get going it could be  you but Brechin City look like it
Who's going down?
Stenhousemuir for the lack of goals.
In defence Ricky Little; Up front: Dom thomas
getting rid of Findlay

Lowlight...
The howlin ' wind at Gayfield

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
22 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:
Best Player at your club
Ross Forbes.
Arbroath. 
Who's finishing 9th?
Who's going down?
Lowlight...

No great complaints with any of that, save for Worst Signing - surely with around 136 minutes of game time in total, Rory Loy must be in with a shout, no ? At least Dyer has been seen on the park to merit his nomination !

136 minutes of (I'd imagine) well paid game time too. Dyer edges it based on the fact I'd pay him 136 minutes wages to sit in the stand though.

Best Player at your club
Bobby Linn. Always been a class act but put in the extra yards in pre-season and is reaping the rewards. 16 goals already, highlight being the hat tricks against Forfar.
Feels harsh to give anyone this title given how well we are doing, but Danny Denholm is a shadow of the player we saw early on during his time at Gayfield. Not been the same since Eddie Malone snapped him last November.
A++ for big Dick. A legend.
Jason Thomson or Darren Jamieson.
Finn Graham was a big let down but he’s away now. Darren Hill is obviously not up to League One standard but he’s only here as back up and is a bit of a cult hero.
Bobby Linn. Added a whole new level to his already impressive game. I’ll cheat a bit here and say calendar year instead of this season, but Gavin Swankie has been exceptional since dropping back into midfield.
No comment. [emoji102]
Raith Rovers, East Fife. Fourth place could be anyone from Forfar, Airdrie, Stranraer and possibly Dumbarton depending on their January dealings
Who's finishing 9th?
Brechin City. Squad is really poor aside from one or two boys, need a good window.
Who's going down?
Stenhousemuir.
I wouldn’t swap Bobby Linn for any player in the league but that’s obviously massively biased. Hate playing against Dylan Easton, John Baird is also a class act. Lewis Vaughan is too good for league one as well.
Bobby Linn’s hattricks against Forfar. Dick Campbell being Dick Campbell.
Lowlight...
Edinburgh City on the Friday night.

Raith Rovers

BEST PLAYER
Has to be Vaughan imo, even though he has been injured a lot, I still think he is a class above in this division (even if we don’t play him in his preferred position).

WORST PLAYER
Milne must be best contender for this, not entirely sure what his strengths are tbh but don’t think I’ve seen him put in a half decent shift since he arrived.

MANAGER RATING
John McGlynn is a tough one at this stage, I still have faith in him but can see why people get annoyed, his overall rating will show after players he brings in January. So far with the loan players he brought in its a good sign. B rating for me

BEST SIGNING
Hendry could of maybe got this if he was still fit but Nisbet has been a star. Maybe fading off a wee bit the now but can’t fault him considering no one would have guessed how good he would have been.

WORST SIGNING
Milne for this one again, don’t want to ruin the boy too much so I’ll leave that alone.

MOST IMPROVED
Regan Hendry was fantastic when he was fit! If he was to get fit in a full strength squad then the team would be ticking greatly. We need a playmaker and he is a great youngster, not sure about his contract situation, if he is here till end of season? Idk

WINNING THE LEAGUE
As much as a great comeback it would be I still see Arbroath winning the league but I hope I’m wrong!

PLAYOFFS
Raith, East Fife and Forfar. East fife look the best they have in years. Forfar I think will nip it into the playoffs

9th
Never thought I’d be saying this but either Dumbarton or Brechin, genuinely thought they were going to be fighting with us and Arbroath. This was supposed to be a tight league with the four of us in my opinion but just wasn’t to be

RELEGATED
For us to beat a team by more than a goal away must mean they are shite (minus Arbroath) saying this they will inflict a second home defeat to us in nearly 2 years knowing our luck

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE
Not sure if biased or not but as stated before Vaughan is just great. Very rare for a player to come on and change a game. Thought we were rank rotten at the weekend there but when Vaughan came on it’s just a different feel to the game (even if he is played as a DM)

HIGHLIGHT
Has to be the win at Arbroath the fans were bouncing and was a great day out

LOWLIGHT
East Fife at the weekend there, I don’t mind us getting beat as long as it’s a good game but the game was absolute guff on our behalf, some of our players think they are superstars, need to remember it’s league 1 sometimes

Would love to hear what Rovers fans think about this wee assessment [emoji881]

*RAITH ROVERS

BEST PLAYER

Either Nisbet or Vaughan. Vaughan’s season has yet again been blighted by injury and if it wasn’t for Nisbet’s goals we’d be struggling. Still think Vaughan is a better player, but he’s so often played out of his best position. Have people at the club just forgotten how many goals he scored in the first half of last season? 

WORST PLAYER

Not sure. Milne has done nothing and is becoming the traditional ghost midfielder we had last time we were in this league, where you have to ask a friend “was he playing? I didn’t even notice him”. Inoffensive but invisible. 

MANAGER RATING

Smith - D for dud. Glad we’re rid of him but his legacy remains. McGlynn - B. Still issues with him not “changing it” when the team is clearly not firing on all cylinders. Gets some slack for being left with Smith’s squad.

WORST SIGNING

Take your pick. Thomson has not been the commanding goalkeeper we need, Duggan (when he gets a game) doesn’t look good enough. Milne (when he gets a game) doesn’t look good enough. We’ve signed two defensive midfielders and no full backs. An absolute lucky bag of summer signings with the only star signing being Nisbet.

BEST SIGNING / MOST IMPROVED

Nisbet, given his record before he arrived at Stark’s Park. Boy has been amazing for us.

WINNING THE LEAGUE 

Must be Arbroath. 

PLAY-OFFS

Rovers, East Fife and ???

9TH

Brechin

RELEGATED

Stenhousemuir

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE

Pass. Maybe Vaughan when he’s fit and on form.

HIGHLIGHT

None. There have been no highlights for a while. I don’t go to many away games and I honestly can’t remember the last time I went to Stark’s Park and came away saying “that was a fucking great game” and feeling all buzzing.

Edit: Actually, that’s nonsense, it was the tail end of McKinnon’s season in charge, 2nd April 2016, when we drew 3-3 without Rangers MkII. Some game. So only two and a half years ago.

LOWLIGHT

We love a lowlight. The defeat to East Fife at Starks. Raith are good for lowlights. There’s been plenty of those in the last couple of years.

*Initial thoughts. Might come back to it.

Best Player at your club

John Baird. Just picked him ahead of Dale Hilson due to the goals Baird gets.

Aidan Wilson did not resemble a defender in his games with us, we noticeably improved once he was out of the team.

7/10. Jim Weir after keeping us up last year against the odds has steadied the ship further this season and a promotion play-off position is not out of the question. Team plays good passing football but is a little lightweight for this league.

John Baird.

Willie Muir was a waste of a signing in effect.

Wasn't overly sold on Connor Coupe when he signed and got a few games but his recent run outs have impressed.

Arbroath- at a canter.

Raith
East Fife
Airdrie

Who's finishing 9th?

Brechin City - and that is based on Smith bringing in improvements in January. They looked as poor bunch with no confidence on Saturday hard to see that turning unless fresh blood is added.

Who's going down?

Stenhousemuir

Bobby Linn, has almost single-handedly beaten us twice so far.

Beating Dumbarton 3-0 at home. First hospitality game I've attended that we've actually won and we played some really good stuff that day.

Lowlight...

Losing 4-0 to Brechin thanks to a defensive capitulation.  We were an embarrassment on the park that day.

Raith Rovers

BEST PLAYER
Has to be Vaughan imo, even though he has been injured a lot, I still think he is a class above in this division (even if we don’t play him in his preferred position).

WORST PLAYER
Milne must be best contender for this, not entirely sure what his strengths are tbh but don’t think I’ve seen him put in a half decent shift since he arrived.

MANAGER RATING
John McGlynn is a tough one at this stage, I still have faith in him but can see why people get annoyed, his overall rating will show after players he brings in January. So far with the loan players he brought in its a good sign. B rating for me

BEST SIGNING
Hendry could of maybe got this if he was still fit but Nisbet has been a star. Maybe fading off a wee bit the now but can’t fault him considering no one would have guessed how good he would have been.

WORST SIGNING
Milne for this one again, don’t want to ruin the boy too much so I’ll leave that alone.

MOST IMPROVED
Regan Hendry was fantastic when he was fit! If he was to get fit in a full strength squad then the team would be ticking greatly. We need a playmaker and he is a great youngster, not sure about his contract situation, if he is here till end of season? Idk

WINNING THE LEAGUE
As much as a great comeback it would be I still see Arbroath winning the league but I hope I’m wrong!

PLAYOFFS
Raith, East Fife and Forfar. East fife look the best they have in years. Forfar I think will nip it into the playoffs

9th
Never thought I’d be saying this but either Dumbarton or Brechin, genuinely thought they were going to be fighting with us and Arbroath. This was supposed to be a tight league with the four of us in my opinion but just wasn’t to be

RELEGATED
For us to beat a team by more than a goal away must mean they are shite (minus Arbroath) saying this they will inflict a second home defeat to us in nearly 2 years knowing our luck

BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE
Not sure if biased or not but as stated before Vaughan is just great. Very rare for a player to come on and change a game. Thought we were rank rotten at the weekend there but when Vaughan came on it’s just a different feel to the game (even if he is played as a DM)

HIGHLIGHT
Has to be the win at Arbroath the fans were bouncing and was a great day out

LOWLIGHT
East Fife at the weekend there, I don’t mind us getting beat as long as it’s a good game but the game was absolute guff on our behalf, some of our players think they are superstars, need to remember it’s league 1 sometimes

Would love to hear what Rovers fans think about this wee assessment [emoji881]

Brilliant assessment, along with worst players. I’d lump in Robbie Thomson and Euan Murray to that list.

*EAST FIFE
BEST PLAYER
DARYLL MEGGATT, but it could easily have been SCOTT AGNEW. Aggy is just class and I think fans at other Clubs know this already but honestly I think he has stepped up s gear since coming to us, there's a genuine buzz when he is on the ball and you always think there is a chance of a goal coming whenever he is seen striding (as far as his little legs can stride) towards the goal!!!
But I'm going to go for Megs, different gravy at the back, calm, collected, he appears to just walk through games and never seems to resort to punting it long. If he isn't playing you really fear for our back line. The only defender in League One that turns goal machine Scott Nisbet into sobbing mess!!!
WORST PLAYER
Not a category that I like and I wouldn't use an adjective like "worst" but I would say that I genuinely can't see what SCOTT McBRIDE brings to the team!!!
MANAGER RATING
A- I've always been a fan of DY but it has been hard at times to defend him, especially last season. Those who went to ALL the League Cup games this season though could see, although results were mixed, what it was that he was trying to do and how he was trying to set his team and gameplan up, especially now with his own signings.
The poor start to the League campaign didn't help but then it clicked, the "8-in-a-row" happened, including the absolute cuffings of two Championship sides and the regulars were convinced.
But then he started to break up that winning formula for reasons known only to him and results were mixed, rumblings were heard but now we are on a wee run again and of course beating the Rovers twice (should be thrice) I would hope has everybody back on board!!!
Two up front Darren, please!!!
WORST SIGNING
Again don't like the use of the word "Worst" but it has probably got to be McBRIDE again, but if the better word "Disappointing" was used instead then it would have to be CRAIG THOMSON, the boy has obviously got the talent and skill to be a stand out at this level but barring one game against St. Johnstone in the League Cup where he was simply tremendous I think it would be fair to say he has failed to deliver and is ususually seen sitting in the stand on match days!!!
MOST IMPROVED
I have absolutely no idea how he looked playing in the EoS League but knowing how large the gap must be between there and SPFL League One then the only candidate must surely be ANTON DOWDS!!!
BIG TONKS was signed with a lot of raised eyebrows by the fans, basically nobody had heard of him and experience has shown that when you sign somebody from that level it's a 50/50 thing as to whether they'll make it or not, for every Nathan there is a Jordan, is our experience but TONKS has been a revelation, higher Leagues already watching him and he also won himself a "Contract Extension" about a month into the season after nearly single handily destroying the Falkirk back line in the cup, keep an eye on this boy, he'll go far!!!
WINNING THE LEAGUE
ARBROATH can only throw it away!!!
PLAY-OFFS
EAST FIFE, RAITH ROVERS and one of Airdrie, Forfar and Stranraer
9TH
BRECHIN CITY
RELEGATED
STENNIE
BEST PLAYER IN LEAGUE
DARYLL MEGGATT but being a defender he doesn't get the headlines that others do!!!
HIGHLIGHT
The RAITH ROVERS games obviously, it feels good that the natural order of things has returned after so long!!!
LOWLIGHT
Our almost supernatural ability to fall apart as soon as DUMBARTON take the field against us, we appear to be the only side in the Division they can beat!!!

Best Player at your club
Ross Forbes, by some distance. Dom Thomas is good, but he's not as valuable as Forbes in terms of goals and assists.
Willie Dyer. The worst and least interested left back I've ever seen at Dumbarton, and I've seen some right stinkers over the years.
Stevie Aitken - 1/10 - a summer of disastrous and unbalanced recruitment followed by some truly horrendous football. His time was well and truly up.

Jim Duffy - 5/10 - he's been left with a hell of a mess to deal with but I still expect more from the team. He just kind of sticks with the same team every week and it's felt like he's just flinging anyone on the park until we get to January. Will be able to judge him more when he has a few of his own players to work with.

Ross Forbes.
Willie Dyer and Bobby Barr. Dyer is an inferior player but Barr will be on more dough and was expected to be one of our more influential players. He's more interested in moaning at his team mates/the ref/the fans than he is in turning in a semi competent performance. Special mention to Rory Loy who is the biggest waste of a wage we've had in a long time. Cull them all, Jim.

(Special mention to Jack Aitchison - we wasted a loan on him and he was too scared to play in League 1 so went running back to Celtic reserves. Wee weirdo.)
No one really. I suppose Kyle Hutton has gone from pish under Aitken to OK under Duffy.
Arbroath. 
Raith
East Fife
Airdrie - Ian Murray is a god.
Who's finishing 9th?
Brechin or Dumbarton
Who's going down?
Stenhousemuir
I'd say Lewis Vaughan or Bobby Linn. I also rate Ross Forbes as one of the best in the league.
Stevie Aitken being sacked. If Dyer, Bobby Barr and Loy are emptied in January that will be a close 2nd.
Lowlight...
All of it. Raith at home deserves a special mention but our shiteness that day most certainly led to my highlight of the season.

Best Player at your club

Split between Vaughan, Nisbet and Armstrong. Armstrong has been sensational in every game barring two, and will likely be off in January.

Lewis Milne is pretty much a waste of a wage at the moment. I'm sure he'll do fine elsewhere, wrong place and wrong time. 

6.5/10: He's got us winning games, but lost two winnable games against East Fife and Montrose where both teams pressed us high and put pressure on.  The players simply didn't look up to the task in any of those three games. With that said, our first half of our season has been marked by injuries, and we're only now just getting back to normality. 

Nisbet based off the Summer. The lad has been a revelation.

Lewis Milne again for that one. 

Initially I had Regan Hendry, but I'd actually change that up to Liam Buchanan. Under McGlynn, Buchanan has looked far more industrious and managed to score a few more goals too. 

Can't see past Arbroath at the moment. We don't have the consistency to pick up 10 points. I didn't expect Arbroath to replicate their first quarter form into the second quarter. 

Us, East Fife and Airdrie.  

Who's finishing 9th?

Brechin

Who's going down?

Stenhousemuir

Armstrong at the moment. Vaughan just behind him. 

5-1 against Dumbarton or the 4-3 away to Airdrie 

Lowlight

Either of the games against East Fife and Montrose. The players completely shat the bed and incapable of creating anything until far too late. 

Best player at your club

Meggatt for sure. So easy to tell when he's in an out of the team, he makes an enormous difference at the back.

Worst player

Scott McBride.

Manager Rating

9/10 for Darren. Great season had by all but let's just keep two up top please!

Best signing of the summer

Brett Long. Best keeper we've had in a decade at least. He earns us points himself alone.

Worst signing

McBride.

Most improved player

Craig Watson. Also bonus points for being a complete HUNK.

League winners

Has to be Arbroath pending an implosion.

Playoffs

Raith, us (hopefully!) And Airdrieonians

9th Brechin, Stenny doon.

Best player in the league

Armstrong, but not for much longer hopefully!!

Highlights

The Raith games but the first one especially. Great day.

Lowlights

Dumbarton away. We were an absolute shambles.

Best player at your club

Graeme Smith and Mark McGuigan have been the two best players at Ochilview this season. I've always admired Smith during his time at Brechin and I was pleased when we signed him. Although the Warriors haven't been very good this season, he's continued to play well and has kept us in games with a string of good saves. McGuigan, meanwhile, has scored a handy number of goals - no-one else comes close to his 11 - and his ability to hold the ball and link play has been our primary (only?) tactic of the season. I'd hate to think where we'd be without him.

Worst player at your club

We're spotty all over the pitch but the biggest problems have been in defence. Alan Reid looks well off the pace and out of his depth in League 1 (despite him doing well in the division previously with Albion Rovers), Jesus Garcia Tena has sleepwalked through games and looks as though he's lost the faith of his manager, and Connor McBrearty is rash and lacks composure. The backline is a position that needs investment next month.

Manager(s) rating

I thought Brown Ferguson was doing a satisfactory job and was surprised and disappointed to see him sacked last month. His replacement, Colin McMenamin, seemed a strange choice given his association with Ferguson and there has been no massive upturn in form. We've won one league game out of seven under the new manager. I'm prepared to give him the chance to "bring in his own boys" but I don't think the change was ever needed in the first place.

Best signing of the summer

Graeme Smith. He's probably the best goalkeeper we've had at the club since Greg Fleming in 2014/15 and he brings confidence and assurance to the backline.

Worst signing of the summer

I've criticised the liked of Reid and Tena but they joined Ochilview with fairly low expectations. Kevin O'Hara, meanwhile, has been a big disappointment. Once considered to be a bright prospect at Falkirk and a player who could thrive in the division after a successful loan spell with East Fife a couple of seasons ago, he hasn't brought anything to the team other than running. To be fair to O'Hara, he might argue he hasn't been enough time on the pitch to show what he can do.

Most improved player

Ruaridh Donaldson is a very solid defender and I'd expect him to move higher up the food chain in the summer. He's fit, intelligent and has a decent cross on him. I like him a lot.

Who's winning the league?

Arbroath, obviously. They're a very good side and they're miles ahead at the front of the division. Unless there is a collapse like... well, Arbroath in 2014/15, no-one will catch them. Huge credit to a good club and a likeable group of players.

Who's making the play-offs?

Raith Rovers will finish in second (and remain in the league for another season); East Fife have played above expectation and I'd fancy them to maintain their good form; and Airdrieonians have a good manager in Ian Murray and, once he can stamp his own image on his side, they should finish the season in good form.

Who's finishing in ninth?

Stenhousemuir - you have to keep the faith, baby!

Who's finishing in 10th?

Brechin City. It's hard to believe they were once one of the best clubs in the third tier but they're like a zombie team ambling their way through the season and don't have the players to dig them out of their rut. Winning promotion to the Championship in 2016/17 was one of the worst things that's happened to them.

Best player in the league

Bobby Linn is having a tremendous season - I've always rated him but he's been on another level this term. Daniel Armstrong has come out of nowhere to be a big hitter for Raith Rovers and Dom Thomas is the kind of player who can create something out of nothing. Quite what he's doing at Dumbarton, I just don't know.

High point of the season

Bodying Falkirk 4-2 in the Scottish Cup isn't just the highlight of the season, it's been the zenith of my 15 years following Stenhousemuir. We were excellent that afternoon and played them off the park in the second half. They couldn't get near us! What a feeling.

Low point of the season

There have been a few but I reckon Ross Forbes' last-minute equaliser at the weekend might just be the worst. Stenny were doing okay, keeping Dumbarton at bay and looking as though they would finish the season away from the foot of the table, until Forbes stroked him a glorious free-kick. Instead of feeling relieved, the dark clouds keep on circling.

A newbie Montrose fan who goes to home games. Just my opinion. 

Best Player at the Club:

Not sure if the best but, the player who I love watching is Terry Masson.

Worst player at the club:

Not going there; anyone who pulls on the Royal Blue jersey gets my respect  

Best 2018 signing:

A few who are contributing to our fine run but, I’ll say Patrick Gregg. An experienced player who has benefitted from a sustained run.

Worst 2018 signing:

Not going there. 

Who’s going to win:

Arbroath. Been a brilliant season. They will drop points but, so will the chasers.

Play-offs:

Raith, East Fife and Montrose. Really any three from six but, the first two have points on the board and my team is amongst the six .

9th:

Dumbarton, not a bad side at all but, I think Brechin can’t continue to be so bad.

10th:

Stenhousemuir, nothing against them, quite plucky but, they are too young and physically lightweight for League One.

Highlight of the year: on the field - when the third goal went in to beat Raith 3-2. But Montrose’s highlight has to be how we have taken to Division One; baring a meltdown we are staying up. The community is embracing its club and the Board are doing a genuinely impressive job. 

Lowlight of the year: the home defeat, 3-0, by Airdrie. It was the only game we didn’t compete in and the only time I left the ground annoyed. Expect the team to make amends at the second home match. 

BEST PLAYER AT CLUB

Football is a team game. Any trophy worth a f**k at this sport has a team's name engraved on it. I will however give you one for the future. Kyle Bell.

BEST 2018 SIGNING

This is where DY has excelled. Dunlop, Dowds, Long, Meggatt, Davidson, Agnew . I could go on...

WHO'S GOING TO WIN

It would take something pretty outrageous on two fronts for Arbroath not to finish top. An improbable implosion and a ridiculous winning run from either Raith or ourselves

PLAY-OFFS

Perm 3 out of Raith, EF, Montrose or Forfar

NINTH

Some unfortunate side eight or nine points off 4th place. Dumbarton maybe? Who knows?

TENTH

Not Stenhousemuir

HIGHLIGHT OF THE YEAR

Saturday was enjoyable

LOWLIGHT

Brora in the Scottish

2 hours ago, Stewart Whyte said:

A newbie Montrose fan who goes to home games. Just my opinion. 

Lowlight of the year: the home defeat, 3-0, by Airdrie. It was the only game we didn’t compete in and the only time I left the ground annoyed. Expect the team to make amends at the second home match. 

I thought Montrose would do quite well this season but I was also surprised to see how it was such a comfortable win for Airdrieonians that day, and was then equally surprised to see how well you did in the next weeks, but that sums up this league. Please come to the away game at Broomfield on March 2nd  .  When we play again at Links Park  on 20th April., I will be hoping for  a place in  top four. 

Best Player at the Club:

Could be one of many I am a massive fan of Dowds, but Aaron Dunsmore has taken his football to another level after being pushed forward a bit!

Worst player at the club:

Nobody who plays for the fife this season can be put under that status.

Manager Rating:

Darren gets a 9/10 for me. Only thing not making it a 10/10 is we aren’t top [emoji23][emoji23] if the next part of the season is identical to this side then he gets a 10!

Best 2018 signing:

More than a few who are contributing to winning run but, I’ll say Brett Long. His saves and clean sheets contributing to some brilliant wins.

Worst 2018 signing:

Hasn’t been one.

Who’s going to win:

Arbroath should win it and the 14/1 for them at the start of the season was kind from the bookies. I can still see it being closer than it is currently.

Play-offs:

Raith, East Fife and Montrose.

Think unless raith strengthens then we will pop past them into second

9th:

Brechin, they are shit

10th:

Stenhousemuir, they can’t seem to buy a win?

Highlight of the year:

This is the chance... DUNSMOREEEEEEE!!!

Either of our wins against raith were nice

Lowlight of the year: either performance against Dumbarton.

East Fife-

Best Player at the club: 

imo between Aaron Dunsmore & Daryl Meggot. Dunsmore edges it for me young but cable defender turned winger. Loves a tackle and consistnat also popping up with very important goals ( loves a goal v the rovers).  And made the transition to wide midfield from full back easy. 

Worst player: 

At this moment I don’t think their is a worst player. Everyone has their role to play and if you play well the manger is willing to stick with you. Some fans saying Mcbride but imo he’s a good option to have always liked him didn’t want him to leave a few seasons back glad to have his higher back at set peices. 

Manger rating: 

Right now for me 8/10 for Darren Young. Big improvements from last year with him bringing in his own players. Some games needs to start quicker and keep trying 2 up front for as long as it works but overall would say one of the best managers iv seen tactility most of the time gets it right. 

Best signing: 

2 for me, Dowds and Bret long. From coming down the EOS league Dowds has fitted in like he’s been playing at this level for years big strong forward that can hold the ball up and create from nothing. 

Bret long got to be one of the best goalkeppers we have had in my lifetime calms everything down great shot stopper wins us games. 

Worst signing: 

none so far. 

Most Improved player: 

Never got to see much of last season but at the moment Kyle Bell from refereeing him at Raith U20’s thought it would be a gamble taking him for the first team at EF but like all the signings fitted in well with the team and when iv seen him play very good on the ball and big improvement from his development football. 

League winners: 

Said from the start Arbroath. More so now unless theres a big slip up . 

Playoffs: 

Ourselves, Raith and anyone from Forfar, Airdrie, Montrose and Stranrar. 

9th: 

Brechin their awful 

10th: 

Stenny too much of a  predictable “yo-yo” team. 

Highlight: 

Got to be Dunsmore’s 90th minute winner against Raith. Also Saturdays game outclassing Raith at their own ground. 

Lowlight: 

Any game against Dumbarton. 

Archived