The Three Team Mini-League

Which club will finish 12th?  

335 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That's not your normal balanced approach, has elvis kidnapped you and your suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

Yes, we'd like to have a striker in, but all the other problem positions have been taken care of (we easily have enough in central midfield, just need to deploy them so that one of them plays deeper and protects the back 4). And Hamilton Accies have just appointed a new management team who have never managed one game at senior level. I think they are the ones in deepest doo doo.

Agree Dundee have probably done the best business through a late flurry. Something iffy about that defeat to Queens, almost as if they were deliberately very bad to get more funds to strengthen.

I know it isn't. I just feel we have been run quite shoddily to be honest. I've privately had reservations about the ability of our recruitment team to actually close out signings for a while and hoped that would change with Gus about. 

My concerns started with the continual announcing that signings were 'nearly there'. I get that deals fall through Al lthe time and Dundee and Accies have probably had as much last minute disappointments as us but why we keep seemingly shooting ourselves in the foot by telling all and sundry that things are about to happen? This was also the case in the summer with Stubbs with the fabled 'marquee signings'... Why does it keep happening? We must have had about 8 or 9 signings that have either publicly fallen through or have been an open secret since the summer. 

Our recruitment team had a remit to get at least one centre forward in as a priority, have signed 8 players at time of writing, and none is a centre forward. That's pretty awful for my liking. 

The announcement of well that we are basically bottom feeding and need to just wait for our scraps also massively irritated me. Yes we know it happens. We're aware of the hierarchy but FFS, it made us sound as amateur as they come. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I know it isn't. I just feel we have been run quite shoddily to be honest. I've privately had reservations about the ability of our recruitment team to actually close out signings for a while and hoped that would change with Gus about. 

My concerns started with the continual announcing that signings were 'nearly there'. I get that deals fall through Al lthe time and Dundee and Accies have probably had as much last minute disappointments as us but why we keep seemingly shooting ourselves in the foot by telling all and sundry that things are about to happen? This was also the case in the summer with Stubbs with the fabled 'marquee signings'... Why does it keep happening? We must have had about 8 or 9 signings that have either publicly fallen through or have been an open secret since the summer. 

Our recruitment team had a remit to get at least one centre forward in as a priority, have signed 8 players at time of writing, and none is a centre forward. That's pretty awful for my liking. 

The announcement of well that we are basically bottom feeding and need to just wait for our scraps also massively irritated me. Yes we know it happens. We're aware of the hierarchy but FFS, it made us sound as amateur as they come. 

Don't disagree, but i think OK is perhaps at a disadvantage as an outsider to the Scottish football mafia. McIntyre gets players from Aberdeen and Sunderland because he's pals with McInnes and Ross. Possibly a bit simplistic but i think there's truth in it, hence why we have been exploring foreign markets more.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Don't disagree, but i think OK is perhaps at a disadvantage as an outsider to the Scottish football mafia. McIntyre gets players from Aberdeen and Sunderland because he's pals with McInnes and Ross. Possibly a bit simplistic but i think there's truth in it, hence why we have been exploring foreign markets more.

For what its worth, I'm not exclusively  blaming Kearney for this as I believe he and the recruitment team would have had drawn up a list of good, strong targets they wanted and went for it. 

It's the actually closing out of these deals and the selling of the club to these targets that is concerning me, I guess. 

Kearney with his 'food chain' speil though, didn't impress me. 

Based on signings, St Mirren look absolutely fucked.

Dundee have made the best signings, and have a manager who's vaguely competent.

Hamilton have added firepower in McMillan and Oakley, and just need set up in a way that isn't utterly moronic.

St Mirren look deed, hopeless manager out his depth, and no attack to speak of.

Our striking options might be better and Andreu is an upgrade on what we had. No departure will make the squad worse.
The defensive depth is still woefully thin though. While the back four that started against Aberdeen can be good, they've all had really poor games lately and the backups are questionable. Sowah's been OK recently, but Penny, Tshiembe and Want are scary.
Gogic, Imrie, MacKinnon, Martin and Taiwo as your holding midfielders won't do.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Based on signings, St Mirren look absolutely fucked.

Dundee have made the best signings, and have a manager who's vaguely competent.

Hamilton have added firepower in McMillan and Oakley, and just need set up in a way that isn't utterly moronic.

St Mirren look deed, hopeless manager out his depth, and no attack to speak of.

What exactly are you basing this on m8? 

You've spoken highly of Tansey before on here so I take it your not referring to him here. 

Of the rest of our signings  (8 I think) have you actually ever seen any of them play apart from maybe the game on Sunday there? 

Scott Wright seems like a great signing for Dundee but who else have they signed that makes you think they'll be clear of us by the split ( I'm sure you've said this on the Dundee thread)?

14 hours ago, Gbud84 said:

What exactly are you basing this on m8? 

You've spoken highly of Tansey before on here so I take it your not referring to him here. 

Of the rest of our signings  (8 I think) have you actually ever seen any of them play apart from maybe the game on Sunday there? 

Scott Wright seems like a great signing for Dundee but who else have they signed that makes you think they'll be clear of us by the split ( I'm sure you've said this on the Dundee thread)?

Ryan McGowan is also good signing IMHO (in my honest opinion) and Moussa out is probably the best move of the whole transfer window.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

15 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Ryan McGowan is a good signing IMHO (in my honest opinion) and Moussa out is probably the best move of the whole transfer window.

Yeah I  can see your point but at the same time since being relegated with United he's floated about China ( I think)  and lately played in a struggling Bradford side.  The majority of all St Mirren and Dundee signings are relatively unknown to everyone so I just found it strange that ours were written off so quickly.

Anyhow,  Windows shut and our squads are now sorted for the remainder of the season.  3 team shootout between Saints,  Dundee and Accies,  best of luck lads but I hope you's both go doon :thumsup2

33 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Don’t know why you’re on the defensive so much, your motley crew are an embarrassment to the Scottish Premiership, and the sooner you take Partick’s place as the token weegies in the Championship the better. 

It's a wee bit late for a school wean still to be up is it not? Away you go to bed now sweetheart, don't want you falling asleep in class tomorrow. Night night 

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Another in on the stroke of midnight - attacking midfielder John O'Sullivan from Blackpool.

Kamara has gone - fee undisclosed.

Mendy, Madianga and Ngwatala also gone.

That's 11 in and 16 out during this window

Interesting that we are 10 in and 13 out. We also lost 3 before the window, so each others dealings are very similar indeed. 

It will be interesting to say the least. 

Dundee and St. Mirren seem to have added in every area whereas Accies have went top heavy with their 4 signings. I really expected them to be bringing in players to stop the flood of goals at the back so it's really heartening to see that, even if Andreu and McMillan are both very good additions. 

There's been a clear improvement from us, and Dundee have seemingly improved too. The only issue is that our improvement could be down to a 'new manager bounce' and Dundee's due to solid recruitment, the latter of which is likely to be more sustainable.
Livi away and Hibs at home is easier than Hibs away (perhaps their manager's first game) and Rangers at home.
In fact, we have a really tricky spell until the two games before the split: Livi away and St Mirren at home. Just got to hope we aren't far off Dundee by then.

Here's the games to the split. 8 games to play.

Dundee
* Livi (A)
* Hibs (H)
* Rangers (A)
* Hearts (H)
* Celtic (H)
* St Mirren (A)
* St Johnstone (A)
* Aberdeen (H)

Accies
* Hibs (A)
* Rangers (H)
* Aberdeen (A)
* Motherwell (A)
* Hearts (H)
* Kilmarnock (A)
* Livi (A)
* St Mirren (H)

St Mirren
* Aberdeen (A)
* Hearts (A)
* Livi (H)
* Kilmarnock (H)
* St Johnstone ( A)
* Dundee (H)
* Celtic ( H)
* Hamilton (A)

16 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The fact that we have assembled a new team in January and they chucked it with 10 minutes to go last night makes me agree with that ST.

The fact that we were still in touch with the other two teams is a minor miracle, when you look back at the totaly shambolic appointment of Stubbs, and his shockingly bad recruitment then we never stood any chance. Kearney was hung out to dry with the mess he’s inherited.