The Three Team Mini-League

Which club will finish 12th?  

335 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Kearney was hung out to dry with the mess he’s inherited.

From the outside, I would have gone along with that - but - the other night when he hooked a player after 20 mins because he'd got it wrong against a team that was playing an identical line-up for the 4th game in a row, it didn't look very professional. 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:13, accies1874 said:

There's been a clear improvement from us, and Dundee have seemingly improved too. The only issue is that our improvement could be down to a 'new manager bounce' and Dundee's due to solid recruitment, the latter of which is likely to be more sustainable.
Livi away and Hibs at home is easier than Hibs away (perhaps their manager's first game) and Rangers at home.
In fact, we have a really tricky spell until the two games before the split: Livi away and St Mirren at home. Just got to hope we aren't far off Dundee by then.

I know we've not been shit hot recently, but Spaghettihad counts as part of your tricky spell! 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

From the outside, I would have gone along with that - but - the other night when he hooked a player after 20 mins because he'd got it wrong against a team that was playing an identical line-up for the 4th game in a row, it didn't look very professional. 

I don’t think that there were any St Mirren fans who agreed with the formation he started with.

That was a real howler and I felt sorry for our new left back making his home debut, he was hung out in the first ten or fifteen minutes, due to that mistake.

He deserves a chance to see what he can do with his own players after the massive clearout in Jan.

To be fair to Kearney, he probably needs two windows to sort out the monumental mess left behind by Stubbs.

Dont know if he’ll get that opportunity if and when we go down, but we really need some stability after all the turmoil of this disastrous season.

I know we've not been shit hot recently, but Spaghettihad counts as part of your tricky spell! 
Our associates at Livingston Football Club MUST realise that they are required to lose to us in order for the Diddy Alliance to thrive next season.

I've said it from the start of the season when he was brought in but the biggest advantage that Dundee and Hamilton have in this fight is that St Mirren appointed a PE teacher as manager. Zero experience of Scottish football. I've never seen a manager get such an easy ride from a club's fanbase as they've painted Stubbs as some sort of demon. He only had 4 games in charge and has a better win rate.

Edited by Ludo*1

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've said it from the start of the season when he was brought in but the biggest advantage that Dundee and Hamilton have in this fight is that St Mirren appointed a PE teacher as manager. Zero experience of Scottish football. I've never seen a manager get such an easy ride from a club's fanbase as they've painted Stubbs as some sort of demon. He only had 4 games in charge and has a better win rate.

Aye. This is something I genuinely can't get my head round. OK, it's fair to say that Stubbs' recruitment was a shit show and quite possibly dodgy, equally it's fine to bin him early on if they don't think it's working that's entirely their prerogative but Kearney's been in the job 5 months and he's lost 16 from 21 league games. There has to be some sort of accountability there and there's only so far shifting the blame on to Stubbs washes IMO. It's just doubling down to avoid admitting that Kearney's actually been a worse appointment than Stubbs.

The least you're expecting is to try and get the best out of what he has, be difficult to beat and even if you're not winning at least pick up some draws. McIntyre's pretty much done that with your lot. He wrote off a handful of games to assess his squad then started grinding.

Edited by capt_oats

It looks like St Mirren are fucked but I’m taking nothing for granted. I remember the season we were 7th at the split, lost all 5 post split games including shipping 5 at Dunfermline. A long way to go and there’s still feck all in it that a couple of wins wouldn’t change.

35 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

It looks like St Mirren are fucked but I’m taking nothing for granted. I remember the season we were 7th at the split, lost all 5 post split games including shipping 5 at Dunfermline. A long way to go and there’s still feck all in it that a couple of wins wouldn’t change.

Absolutely - we could still easily finish 12th, but if St Mirren finish anywhere above bottom, I feel it'd be in spite of Kearney as opposed to because of him.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. This is something I genuinely can't get my head round. OK, it's fair to say that Stubbs' recruitment was a shit show and quite possibly dodgy, equally it's fine to bin him early on if they don't think it's working that's entirely their prerogative but Kearney's been in the job 5 months and he's lost 16 from 21 league games. There has to be some sort of accountability there and there's only so far shifting the blame on to Stubbs washes IMO. It's just doubling down to avoid admitting that Kearney's actually been a worse appointment than Stubbs.

The least you're expecting is to try and get the best out of what he has, be difficult to beat and even if you're not winning at least pick up some draws. McIntyre's pretty much done that with your lot. He wrote off a handful of games to assess his squad then started grinding.

I think things are turning on Kearney to be honest. Most people were willing to give him to the January window shut to start to change things, largely based on the face he inherited an awful unbalanced team and the signings of Jackson, Ferdinand and Hammill after the transfer window were better than anything Stubbs signed. Equally we remembered the time Jack Ross took when he inherited Rae's clusterfuck. 'Let him recruit and change squad and see how we are then' was the statement- however the early signs are less than positive. The fact we're not fighting and scrapping points is bad.

What do we do though? We can't keep bagging managers, so we may as well let him go to the end of the season and see what happens, we're pretty much screwed either way. I thought Rice leaving to join Hamilton was strange and pretty telling.

12 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Shows everyone was correct in saying St Mirren wouldn’t have even gotten out of the championship without Morgan. Stubbs was right about that.

In the summer we lost Morgan, Gavin Reilly and Harry Davis. Morgan and Reilly scored 40 between them, and set up countless others. You're probably trying to replace anything from 50 to 60 goals.

Big Davis was one the best centre halves in the league last season and miles better than anyone we have now.

Yes, Morgan was a huge influence but Stubbs' comment was pure ignorance.

He also had 9 games in charge, not 4, where he failed to beat Spartans and Queens Park.

As for our current situation - there are many people to blame. The board in particular have got away with it. The jury is out on Kearney for sure though. 

Big weekend for the mini league.

Dundee will see Livingston as winnable, with Hamilton going to Easter Road it seems like a big chance for Dundee to catch us.  

Can't see past another St. Mirren loss away to Aberdeen. 

On 2/9/2019 at 18:59, capt_oats said:

To be fair to Kearney, I think he's had a big disadvantage over Rice and McIntyre.

When you look at McIntyre coming in, he was really inheriting one of the worst teams I can ever remember Dundee starting a top flight season with. Despite getting humped from lower league teams and looking miles away from anything, there are Dundee players in the squad who have some level of competency and have been there before.

O'Dea, Kusunga, Kerr, Kamara, McGowan and Kenny Miller have all got a bit of experience in this level and shown themselves to be OK players in the past for Dundee; Ralph too was one of McCann's only signings and did OK. Hamilton too had Woods, Gordon, Kilgallon, MacKinnon, Imrie, Gogic who I think have experience and don't seem out of place in this league.

At St Mirren, there's only really the McGinn brothers who you could point to as having some experience at this level and of the two of them, Paul had a poor season at Thistle last season and Stephen last played at this level a few years ago. There were a few players who continued from last season with some ability and promise but they are quite young and inexperienced, trying to perform in a weak side.

Like Dundee and Hamilton, St Mirren have added a lot of players and badly needed to but there was at least something there with demonstrated capability to be used in some way. I think that it is easily the toughest job out of the three for any manager to take on. They aren't out of it yet and if Dundee don't keep getting points on the board, they could still fight for a play off spot if they take a result or two somewhere. They have both Dundee and Hamilton to play twice.

That being said, I was a little bit surprised that Neilson and McIntyre were overlooked for the job. I know McIntyre had a bit of seethe at him for his last window at County but he knows the game here and has a fair amount of experience from relatively recently and a couple of success stories. He's also inherited a situation before when he had to throw together a team in January and shifest a season out. He was the logical appointment for anyone in that situation at the time IMO.

1 hour ago, Skondras said:

Dundee will see Livingston as winnable, with Hamilton going to Easter Road it seems like a big chance for Dundee to catch us.  

Idk, with their ridiculous head coach situation and Accies' recent improvement there's a good chance to get consecutive wins for the first time this season.

To be fair to Kearney, I think he's had a big disadvantage over Rice and McIntyre.
When you look at McIntyre coming in, he was really inheriting one of the worst teams I can ever remember Dundee starting a top flight season with. Despite getting humped from lower league teams and looking miles away from anything, there are Dundee players in the squad who have some level of competency and have been there before.
O'Dea, Kusunga, Kerr, Kamara, McGowan and Kenny Miller have all got a bit of experience in this level and shown themselves to be OK players in the past for Dundee; Ralph too was one of McCann's only signings and did OK. Hamilton too had Woods, Gordon, Kilgallon, MacKinnon, Imrie, Gogic who I think have experience and don't seem out of place in this league.
At St Mirren, there's only really the McGinn brothers who you could point to as having some experience at this level and of the two of them, Paul had a poor season at Thistle last season and Stephen last played at this level a few years ago. There were a few players who continued from last season with some ability and promise but they are quite young and inexperienced, trying to perform in a weak side.
Like Dundee and Hamilton, St Mirren have added a lot of players and badly needed to but there was at least something there with demonstrated capability to be used in some way. I think that it is easily the toughest job out of the three for any manager to take on. They aren't out of it yet and if Dundee don't keep getting points on the board, they could still fight for a play off spot if they take a result or two somewhere. They have both Dundee and Hamilton to play twice.
That being said, I was a little bit surprised that Neilson and McIntyre were overlooked for the job. I know McIntyre had a bit of seethe at him for his last window at County but he knows the game here and has a fair amount of experience from relatively recently and a couple of success stories. He's also inherited a situation before when he had to throw together a team in January and shifest a season out. He was the logical appointment for anyone in that situation at the time IMO.
Neilson was the front runner to replace Jack Ross in the summer but pulled out, think it was down to budget versus expectations.