Rovers v Stenhousemuir

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close/dodgy offside decisions denying us goals in the last 3 games it seems.

Thought Nisbet was on side at Arbroath and his goal against East Fife would have been ok with some linesmen, but 3 today? :lol:

Good to get the win and a few goals. Frustrating second half not helped by some of the decisions from the linesman. We need to score more from good attacking situations. That was a good opportunity to make a statement with a really high score, but we didn’t. Still, 5-1 and we got the 3 points. Job done. Just a shame Brechin couldn’t hold on against Arbroath.  

I suspect Airdrie away will be a bit harder than today. Hopefully we can grind out another win.

Feel a bit sorry for the 38 Stenhousemuir fans. It was all over by HT. I know following the Rovers isn’t easy, but you feel that following the likes of Stenhousemuir is another level. 

Stenny keeper looked very groggy as he was coming off. Must have been a dull one. 

Hopefully Nisbet is okay. Could do with him being fit for Airdrie and The Pars.

Stenny keeper looked very groggy as he was coming off. Must have been a dull one. 

He wasn’t for going off either, was just glad to see him back on his feet after it. Looked really serious at one point when their no.3 was signalling for the physios and getting quite annoyed that they weren’t coming on.

28 minutes ago, RR35 said:

Any injury update on Nisbett ? He really should have scored

I’m just finishing up John McGlynn’s interview the now and he speaks about Nisbet’s injury, should be on the website in the next 30mins. Highlights should hopefully be done by midnight, unfortunately the camera person missed Stenny’s goal (kind of) so having to do some jiggery pokery with other angles to make it look as ok as possible. 

Spoke with Kevin after he came off and its his hamstring soooo could be a few weeks depending on what the physio says. He was on crutches but that could just be a safeguard.  5 goals today by 5 different strikers, amazing.  Thought Gillespie well deserved his MOM, best game he's played in weeks, everything came through him and some of his passes were sublime.  Will be interesting to see the supposedly off side goals on the highlights, thought Duggan's last effort should have stood, maybe the railway stand linesman needs to brush up on the off side rules:blink: All in all a pleasing performance but we need to keep this standard up every week not just now and again.

1 hour ago, Roath Raver said:

I’m just finishing up John McGlynn’s interview the now and he speaks about Nisbet’s injury, should be on the website in the next 30mins. Highlights should hopefully be done by midnight, unfortunately the camera person missed Stenny’s goal (kind of) so having to do some jiggery pokery with other angles to make it look as ok as possible. 

Looking forward to the highlights as I missed three goals away down doing the 200 club teas and coffees! 

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

He wasn’t for going off either, was just glad to see him back on his feet after it. Looked really serious at one point when their no.3 was signalling for the physios and getting quite annoyed that they weren’t coming on.

Fair fucks to the boy. That was a sair yin. Can't imagine the physios would've let him continue. Suspect his memory of the events may be quite patchy.

Before I get into how I thought we did today, let's be clear here - that's as bad a performance from a League 1 side as we've seen against us. I had a bit look at the Stenny thread and I see that they're really struggling with numbers right now, but as a snapshot in time that's definitely the worst side I've seen this season. McGuigan is big and strong and awkward and it's easy to see how he's scored so many goals in the league below but there was absolutely nothing round about him. Paton caused us a lot of bother last time at Ochilview and without him they were bereft of any form of attacking potency. 

That all being said, we passed the ball well and really should've had more goals, 7 or 8 really wouldn't have been an injustice. Cannot emphasise enough the difference that having Gillespie in the middle of the park made - he was everywhere. He's got this sense of calm on the ball that no other of our midfielders have. Just a complete, "don't worry, everything  under control" nonchalance. Range of passing was fantastic, in particular the pass into Vaughan when he slashed it into the side netting towards the end. Quick to break up play and eye for a defence splitting pass plus a calm and composed finish made him, for me, the best player on the park by a distance. Armstrong was excellent too, coming in off the right in a sort of free role, popping up in a variety of attacking positions. He also played some brilliantly weighted through balls; not something I was aware he had in his locker. He's clearly far too good for League 1, and he totally knows it. Knew he had the beating of his man (and the one sent to double up on him) every time and was more than happy to knock it past the pair of them and have them in a foot race. Lost count of the amount of times he nutmegged the full back. A wee bit greedy towards the end in shooting instead of passing, specifically the one where he just had to lay it to Buchanan who was totally free, but understandable when he knows there'll be several clubs in the stand watching him. Not a chance we'll keep him on after the Dunfermline game.

Defence looked more solid, despite the goal, which was just Crane being far too soft. I did think that Crane brought with him a bit more balance to the back 4, despite being outmuscled by just about the smallest man on the park at the leveller. Murray on one side and Gillespie on the other just put us all at sea, neither being totally comfortable. Bene and Davo did well with McGuigan. He's a bit awkward unit but they marshalled him pretty well, don't think he had much of a sniff. Vaughan had a cracking game and probably should've had another goal at least. His free kick he landed on the top of the net inches from goal of the season. 

Duggan very impressive off the bench, easily his best performance in a Rovers shirt. Absolutely vital he stays fit and amongst the goals if Nisbet is going to be spending any time on the sidelines. Shouldn't really be much of a surprise any more that as soon as we start to look like we might be able to field a full team we lose our top goalscorer. If it's a hamstring pull and he's having to go for a scan, that could be a month - or more. 

Hope Smith the goalie is OK. He didn't look like he knew which day of the week it was as he was forcibly removed from the pitch. There was a brief horrible moment where I thought the physio was going to let him continue, so I was delighted when she reiterated the need for him to leave the park. Safe to say the laddie who came on is a man who did not expect to take to the field today. Looked like a young boy. Clean sheet for him, though! All the best to Stenny for the rest of the season, felt honestly a bit sorry for them in the second half. Fair play to each and every one of the 38 who made the trip, can't be easy.

Felt we slowed down a bit in the second half with our more attacking players going for little flicks and tricks, and while we still created chances we didn't have the ruthless streak from the first half.

Gillespie showed that he's an excellent asset in midfield, and along with Nat they both were happy to thread through passes as Vaughan and Armstrong created space. Duggan also put in an excellent shift and made a positive case for him getting a full 90 minutes next week.

At times, it looked like our players were queueing up to score, both down to our own play and the problems with the the Stenhousemuir defence. As mentioned, I'm glad Smith was up and on his feet, but it was the right call for the medical team to take him off.

42 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Felt we slowed down a bit in the second half with our more attacking players going for little flicks and tricks, and while we still created chances we didn't have the ruthless streak from the first half.

Gillespie showed that he's an excellent asset in midfield, and along with Nat they both were happy to thread through passes as Vaughan and Armstrong created space. Duggan also put in an excellent shift and made a positive case for him getting a full 90 minutes next week.

At times, it looked like our players were queueing up to score, both down to our own play and the problems with the the Stenhousemuir defence. As mentioned, I'm glad Smith was up and on his feet, but it was the right call for the medical team to take him off.

Dr Katy never had any option but to take him off, thankfully the days of 'Tell him he's Pele'* are gone.

*no reference to the website intended.

Archived