Rovers v Stenhousemuir

Well, hopefully we can put yesterday’s disappointment behind us in this game against the team at the bottom of the league.

If Vaughan is fit then start him and play him up front. Bench Buchanan. If I have to see Buchanan getting outmuscled and falling over multiple times during another game this season i’ll fucking scream.

Also Duggan is not Tade. If he makes it off the bench, lets not get frustrated and lump long balls to him. 

Might be time to give another of the goalkeepers a shot.

As for the defence, it is what it is. Hopefully they can get through the game without too many individual errors.

We desperately need a couple of wins to get some confidence about the place before the  game with The Pars.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be good to see a few changes to freshen things up. Wright in for Thomson. Crane to left back, Gillespie into midfield and Murray to right back. Vaughan in for Buchanan or Flanagan. McKay for Davo or Bene although I think McKay has been made better every week he hasn’t played but the time is right for a change.

Having said that I don’t think you can only blame the back 4 for our defensive performances. We don’t defend well as a team. We don’t defend from the front ala Weir/Tade/Baird type upfront. We are  very slow in the middle of the park and we have 2 out and out wingers with little interest in defending. 

Makes us good going forward but will always lead to being more porous at the back. We have shown against Stranraer at home when we went down to 10 and adjusted our approach we can actually look solid when we are set up defensively. 

The way we set up to play now we need Arbroath work rate levels every week to be a complete team, unfortunately we don’t know week to week if the players can be bothered to show it.

The bar is set very, very low for Mckay to be honest. 
That said, for me the issues come from the keeper. The defence just don't trust him. 

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I feel a lot of the blame sits with Davidson, rather than Thomson. It's getting to the stage where he seems to be looking for an excuse to scream at him, or shoot him a dagger, rather than doing his own job.
There was a time at yesterday's game where Thomson had waved Davidson and Benedictus up the park and Davidson didn't move and then only did so when the crowd started to get heated. I can understand he maybe wants the short ball, but anytime he received it he was just hammering it up the park regardless.
I liked Wright when he was number 1, so would have no issue with him coming in but I think Thomson gets hung out to dry a little. I don't see the change of goalkeeper sorting our centre half issues at all. We need Crane back in, and then a right back ASAP. Between Murray, McKay, Bene and Dave we surely have one decent pairing.

Murray just looks out of place on the pitch of recent albeit he scored a vital goal against Dumbarton I would bench him.

Davo has an attitude problem and seems as if he’s out to belittle Thomson week In week out

Buchanan needs to be benched, it’s demoralising watching him play very little part in games and especially watching him outmuscled time and time
Again.

Wright I would bring back in along with Crane (voted best left back in league1 last season)!!!!!!!

We can all see Thomson has his short comings as a 'keeper but davo is just a tit. As has been said, constantly looking for an excuse to have a go which then impacts on his performance.

As a side note, Thomson actually seems a decent bloke. Took a couple of kids onto the pitch for part of his warm up to get the balls that went wide etc before the match on Saturday. Always interacting with the youngsters down the front as well.

Not sure why, given how this season is going, but i’m quite up for this game. I’ve bought a self help book about happiness called ‘Flow: the classic work on how to achieve happiness’ but it’s unlikely this is the cause, given I’m still on chapter 1.  

Looks like McGuigan is virtually the only guy who scores any goals for Stenhousemuir. 5 in 5 games in December. If our dodgy defence can keep him quiet we should be okay.

Not sure why, given how this season is going, but i’m quite up for this game. I’ve bought a self help book about happiness called ‘Flow: the classic work on how to achieve happiness’ but it’s unlikely this is the cause, given I’m still on chapter 1.  
Looks like McGuigan is virtually the only guy who scores any goals for Stenhousemuir. 5 in 5 games in December. If our dodgy defence can keep him quiet we should be okay.

I look forward to us signing McGuigan next season and turning him into a complete donkey.

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I look forward to us signing McGuigan next season and turning him into a complete donkey.

For added bonus points, make his weight balloon like we did to that guy Kenny McDonald who we signed from Airdrie for £80k back in 1989. Anyone got a photo of him? Poor man started comfort eating when he signed for us.

Need to change up the starting line up for this.  Have looked slow in midfield for a while and the defense is a bomb scare.

Thomson

Murray  Mckay  Bene  Crane

Gillespie  Matthews

Armstrong  Vaughan  Flanagan

Nisbet

Just now, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

You are a player short and nae Nisbet but I’m guessing play Vaughan as a 10 behind Nisbet?

Nah Nisbets in the line up lol Aye thought he did well in that role against Dumbarton both times.  Only player we really have who can pick ball and go through the middle and link up with Nisbet.  

Archived