Arbroath vs Brechin

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We made hard work of that today and I thought Brechin played pretty well for a side struggling at the wrong end of the league. In fact at times I thought they were going to take something from the game as  we hardly had a scoring chance. Then up stepped McCord, saint and sinner, on as a sub to head in a cross from Bobby Linn. And with the chance to make it two nil he puts the ball high and wide from the penalty spot. McCord scoring with a header? Hard to believe but it secured the three points to keep the gap at the top.

Thought Swankie played well in the first half but faded a bit in the second. Maybe should have started with Wallace and brought Doris on for the last half hour or so. Brechin got plenty players back for corners and made it difficult for us to win many high balls into the box. The main thing is that without playing that well we took the three points. 

4 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

A home defeat, draw against a 10 man team and a narrow home win against a struggling side in its last three games doesnt look like a championship wining side to me.

You’re forgetting we are a side 11 points clear of you lot. 

2 hours ago, Big lichtie said:

your having a fucking laugh mate yes pongo swankies days up front have gone wallace was shit when he came on unless you were at differenrt game from me and my mates

Wallace made a difference and we were maybe remembering that Swankie has 10+ years experience as a striker. 

Dont even kid on you have mates. :lol:

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

That there is the sign of champions. Play utterly horseshite and grind out a win.

You lot weren't allowed to play. Pabs had Linn in his pocket and forced him to switch wings. 

If we had a striker up with Andy Jackson then I think we might have snatched a result. 

Looked like a clean tackle for the penalty . You lot swayed the ref with your desperate shouts. Justice done though. 

You lot weren't allowed to play. Pabs had Linn in his pocket and forced him to switch wings. 
If we had a striker up with Andy Jackson then I think we might have snatched a result. 
Looked like a clean tackle for the penalty . You lot swayed the ref with your desperate shouts. Justice done though. 

He came right through the back of bobby. Stone wall penalty. Doesn’t matter he got the ball he came through the back of him to get it.

Considering our recent performances today felt quite solid the back 5 played well throughout.

We created more than we have done in recent weeks with midfielders driving forward, particularly in the first half.

Second have Arbroath changed it and we became a little more defensive but still created a couple of decent chances. However we were wasteful with final balls  Orsi being particularly culpable.

With about 20 to go, before the goal I would like to have seen us go with an extra man up top as we did seem to get on behind their defence. Hey oh, hindsight etc.

New shape with Pabs back and Robertson in midfield things look promising. However needs to b followed up next week.

7 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I thought our fans were miserable! Miles clear, going to win the league and you're not happy.

Could be worse, you could have Todd Lumsden in charge and be facing the League 2 playoffs

Some of our supporters are completely brain dead, it ain't gonna get much better than this as an Arbroath supporter. 

Omar Kader was our fall man yesterday seeing as Wallace wasn't starting, he wasn't great but he wasn't nearly as bad as some of the stick he was receiving suggested, some passes that were directed at him that he hadn't a hope in hell of getting and they were howling at him...unreal.

59 minutes ago, keptie said:

Omar Kader was our fall man yesterday seeing as Wallace wasn't starting, he wasn't great but he wasn't nearly as bad as some of the stick he was receiving suggested, some passes that were directed at him that he hadn't a hope in hell of getting and they were howling at him...unreal.

55 minutes into the game, 11 points clear at the top, Omar having had a good run in his past 4/5 games, some idiot screams 'you're fucking shite' at him.

60 minutes into the game, 11 points clear at the top, idiot screams 'get this fucking sorted Campbell'.

72 minutes into the game, 11 points clear at the top, McKenna is subbed off, incredibly some moron  shouts 'what the f**k are you watching Campbell?'. The substitutions go on to change the game and combine to see us score a winner near the end..... I'm willing to bet the idiot who was shouting this abuse won't feel silly at all, and will probably behave in the same way at future matches. Embarrassing stuff.

In terms of the game, I felt we got our subs wrong at Montrose, but I thought we got them bang on yesterday. Pongo and Wallace made a big difference when they came on; we never looked like scoring a goal with McKenna and Doris up top and if we'd kept them up top for the 90 minutes I'm fairly sure we'd have ended that game at 0-0. The subs were bang on for me - and the proof is in the fact they worked and we won the game. Wallace had the best impact he's had off the bench which was positive to see ,and good to know going forward that he can make a difference/ change the game coming on when in his 2/3 previous sub appearances he did very little. Him and Doris both really, really need a goal though to end their dry spells.

Can everyone imagine the absolute state biglichtie would have got himself into if Ryan Wallace had missed the absolute sitter Stevie Doris did in the first half? :lol: It's superb reading; Stevie plays and it's the midfield's shit service to him that makes him have a poor game (which I actually agree with to an extent) but then if Ryan Wallace plays it's nothing to do with the service at all, it's Wallace who is utter shite :D Personally I prefer to judge player performances based on what they do on the park during that game, not based on how much I like/ dislike them.

Steven Doris is in my top 5 Arbroath players of all time, but that doesn't mean I'll constantly say he should be starting every week even when off form/ struggling for fitness and berate anyone who dare play in his position and potentially get the nod ahead of him. Personally I think based on last week at Montrose and yesterdays game v Brechin that Ryan Wallace deserves a couple of starts ahead of Doris in the next few games.

simon i said after the montrose game that the service to our strikers was terrible wallace and mckenna were starting upfront: swanks has had a great season but to me has looked jaded the last couple of games . maybe should give pongo a start to be a bit more creative

When Wallace came on, he was constantly on the move, making runs into space, holding the ball up, trying to link play.

The substitutions, however, did change the way we played. More pass and move, rather than lump it looking for flick ons.

My biggest fear would be if Bobby got injured, a lot of play goes through him down the wing and he causes problems for defenders.

Kader looked off the pace yesterday and never got many opportunities to get involved in the match in a positive way. Seems to me lacking a bit of speed.

20 minutes ago, Big lichtie said:

simon i said after the montrose game that the service to our strikers was terrible wallace and mckenna were starting upfront: swanks has had a great season but to me has looked jaded the last couple of games . maybe should give pongo a start to be a bit more creative

You did that actually, fair comment. I also agree regarding Gav, he has been very in and out the game both yesterday and against Montrose, although I thought he was excellent when he moved upfront in the last 15 minutes.

While I've got you - a couple of questions. If Wallace was 'shit' yesterday, can you give me your opinion on Doris performance? If you think Wallace was 'shit' I can only assume you think Doris had an absolute fucking mare, by comparison? What did you think of the absolute sitter missed in the first half; I'm very surprised you've not mentioned it..... do you think it's fair of me to say that if Wallace had missed that sitter you'd have been on here immediately after the game calling him shite, useless etc, where as because it was Doris who missed it you deem it not worth mentioning?

Just to clarify here - I'm not having a go at Stevie D whatsoever, I'm trying to point out that it's somewhat absurd how differently you react to things depending on if it's Ryan Wallace or Steven Doris who are involved.

The big difference with Wallace yesterday against the Montrose game is that he stayed on his feet instead on being on his backside half the time. I think both Wallace and Doris are good players but there game is totally different. McKenna, Doris partnership doesn't seem to be the answer. I expect that is why Campbell is looking for a new striker. Big positives from yesterday was the attitude of the whole team which was excellent and the quality of our defence allowed us the only need 1 goal to win the game. If we can keep the back four fit we will gain a lot of points.

Archived