Dunfermline v Alloa (the Athletic derby)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Newmember said:

Petrie lol hes managing a team in 3rd division 

Thats the last thing Dunfermline need

Getting Montrose out of League Two is a far better achievement than anything AJ has done in his managerial career.

Also, he's a Pars icon, which will get a lot of fans on board with him right away.

But, according to you, AJ was getting sacked months ago, which makes it really odd he's still in the dugout every week.

If Dunfermline could they would have binned him 8 weeks ago . 

Its simple they can't afford to bin them both and bring a new management team in . they can't even afford to bring players in unless they off load a few 

Straight from the horse's mouth Simple 

Don't want Petries legendary status jeopardized by a stint as manager.

See I'm 50/50 on that. Some days (today I'm in total agreement, I'd hate for his status as an absolute king to be in doubt when we go through a bad patch and some idiots start going off for whatever reason.

But yesterday I was l for it. Was ready to board a flight and drive him myself back down to EEP. Probably just as well I didn't, it's shut on Sundays.

Surely the only reason to take Petrie in instead of Darren Young would be because he would be cheaper? Young Was amazing at Albion Rovers and has his East Fife team breathing down the necks of Raith 

Re the PT v FT argument - I understand that both groups of players might be a similar level fitness wise - what should surely be better with a FT squad are set pieces etc. We are absolutely ABYSMAL at anything that involves a dead-ball. Our throw-ins will actually see me in an early grave. We always lose the ball. Every single fucking time. We don't have designated free-kick takers which reeks of a lack of leadership/organisation/pre-planning. We've had arguments on the pitch in the past about penalty takers. Corners and free kicks are floated in with what looks like no forethought. All these things should be practised over and over again.

Piss poor coaching. 

People always say that their team doesn't look fit when they're doing poorly. People said it under Jefferies and under Potter. In fact some even remarked that the current manager got the team much fitter. I've heard similar stuff about Calderwood, Hay, Kenny and McIntyre.

It's almost always utter bollocks. 98% of the time, at least, it's hysterical crap. It's a cliche and I'm sorry to say it's a moronic one.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

People always say that their team doesn't look fit when they're doing poorly. People said it under Jefferies and under Potter. In fact some even remarked that the current manager got the team much fitter. I've heard similar stuff about Calderwood, Hay, Kenny and McIntyre.

It's almost always utter bollocks. 98% of the time, at least, it's hysterical crap. It's a cliche and I'm sorry to say it's a moronic one.

Allot of it's mental. 

I've played in teams where you're getting thumped and you don't want to run the length of yourself, I've played in teams dishing out thumping and you don't want the game to end. 

On Saturday you had Alloa chasing a last minute goal, meanwhile our players were trying to hold one, very aware that the consequences that conceding would bring, it's absolutely no surprise that they "looked" fitter. 

AJ is big on his sport science, man for man I'd be shocked if we weren't one of the fittest in the league, however that can and will go out the window to an extent. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

Allot of it's mental. 

I've played in teams where you're getting thumped and you don't want to run the length of yourself, I've played in teams dishing out thumping and you don't want the game to end. 

On Saturday you had Alloa chasing a last minute goal, meanwhile our players were trying to hold one, very aware that the consequences that conceding would bring, it's absolutely no surprise that they "looked" fitter. 

AJ is big on his sport science, man for man I'd be shocked if we weren't one of the fittest in the league, however that can and will go out the window to an extent. 

Agreed. I'm amazed that folk still don't get just how big a part confidence and mentality plays in football. Often players are slagged for lack of effort and 'not caring' or 'not showing passion' (you hear all of these and the fitness garbage when teams are doing poorly; I've seen quite a lot of stuff about our players not caring or trying after Saturday) when in fact it's much like you say and all down to the mental side.

Actually incredible how folk can't tell the difference/

Allot of it's mental. 

It's things like that that really confuse me about Johnston. He was a winger but we've never really played with wingers. He also never seems to consider swapping the wingers to give the full back a different problem to face, or to switch when one of the full backs is on a yellow card and a direct winger with pace who can draw fouls (like Aird) could potentially get the player sent off. He's into his sports science but doesn't seem to know that players tire physically (with the muscles round and in the eye the first to tire - which partially explains why so many positional mistakes are made at the end of games and why rugby players fail to see players on their shoulders) and mentally (why so many poor decisions are made at the end of games) and we often see no players warming up in the second half and have even seen players come on after having no warm up at all. He also seems to think that making a change in the 85th minute is a good idea when most analysis would suggest it takes a good few minutes to get up to the speed of the game. Wing play and fitness should be his strengths but they are almost weaknesses if anything.

Tbf the last couple of games where we've played as a three, they've swapped around and it was something I complimented AJ about at the time to my mates. 

Didn't happen on Saturday though, no idea why. 

Archived