West Region Games Off - Sat 29th December

Kennie

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I attended the Rutherglen Glencairn v Whitletts Victoria game. Estimated crowd around 70 and that included a few neutrals from Cambuslang and the Candy. Why the game wasn't played on Friday night, i'll never know. Obviously the paying public wanted to watch the live TV football. Why kid ourselves on?
We tried.

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:
2 hours ago, Glenconner said:
I attended the Rutherglen Glencairn v Whitletts Victoria game. Estimated crowd around 70 and that included a few neutrals from Cambuslang and the Candy. Why the game wasn't played on Friday night, i'll never know. Obviously the paying public wanted to watch the live TV football. Why kid ourselves on?

We tried.

Should everyone change when that mob play? They should move to Friday.

In Largs anyway so wandered down to the 'game' and a had a sense of deja vu after the Lok game 2 weeks ago biting the dust but also maybe something else too.. As a non-OF fan with a broken phone who'd been out of Scotland a week, it had completely bypassed me that they were playing today but it certainly makes the whole thing stink. I had a nice wee walk down the front instead and spent some cash on DVDs in a charity shop. Money Largs would have got otherwise. That's the impact this kind of incompetence has - lost revenue.

3 hours ago, FrankieBoy12 said:

100%, I'm pretty sure petershill would've known of the closure dates in plenty of time.  Would've been interesting to see if opposition offered use of a spare kit. 

The truth will come out. 

Any truth in the fact that one of the managers at Petershill runs the complex and has keys to open up the complex 

18 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

In Largs anyway so wandered down to the 'game' and a had a sense of deja vu after the Lok game 2 weeks ago biting the dust but also maybe something else too.. As a non-OF fan with a broken phone who'd been out of Scotland a week, it had completely bypassed me that they were playing today but it certainly makes the whole thing stink. I had a nice wee walk down the front instead and spent some cash on DVDs in a charity shop. Money Largs would have got otherwise. That's the impact this kind of incompetence has - lost revenue.

Was it this 3 DVD set bud? :huh:...

2 hours ago, drs said:

Will utter gangs like St Rochs, Petershill and Cambuslang change their tune when they are senior clubs in the pyramid next season? 

It does not really matter if we are playing in the Champions League next season.....if the referee does a pitch inspection and (rightly) calls the game off then our gang ain't playing.

PS- our gang are St Roch's- if you would like any further clarity on our gang and what we do just ask? 

Happy New year 

I get the whole thing about some junior fans who are 100% junior and genuinely not interested in senior football of any description. However I would say they are in the minority, especially among younger supporters and importantly, the players themselves. Most players in the west region will have an interest in either Rangers or Celtic and will want to see the game.

I don't understand why the SJFA or its representative on here Kennie can't schedule the fixtues to avoid the Rangers v Celtic fixtures. There are available weeks in the calendar to do it so why not just have a week off if the game lands on a Saturday, which incidentally is quite rare these days. A bit of give and take to keep eveybody happy and to avoid loss of revenue playing at the same time seems common sense to me.

26 minutes ago, The real Dembele said:

I get the whole thing about some junior fans who are 100% junior and genuinely not interested in senior football of any description. However I would say they are in the minority, especially among younger supporters and importantly, the players themselves. Most players in the west region will have an interest in either Rangers or Celtic and will want to see the game.

I don't understand why the SJFA or its representative on here Kennie can't schedule the fixtues to avoid the Rangers v Celtic fixtures. There are available weeks in the calendar to do it so why not just have a week off if the game lands on a Saturday, which incidentally is quite rare these days. A bit of give and take to keep eveybody happy and to avoid loss of revenue playing at the same time seems common sense to me.

The problem with that is where does it end?  Do it for league games only, or cup games too?

If league only, is it just Rangers v Celtic?  What about an end of the season clash between Rangers and Aberdeen or between Celtic and Killie ? 

Our priority HAS to be the Junior game and anyone involved in it MUST put its advancement and betterment as their main (and only) priority or they should let others move in who will, a cold snap and those "free" weekend will quickly be taken up, other than the rain last night, there wasn't a thing wrong with the weather today to play a game in, and its a shame that weekends like this are wasted, especially after the forward thinking move of having games played under lights last night, it feels like one step forward and two steps back

Like a lot of fans of the juniors and its history, I have a soft spot for Peasy, but im embarrassed by that today, and try as i might, I cant justify it,  Cambuslang likewise, they have brought negative publicity to the game just last week, and then we get this the very next, its not on, and i hope both are rebuked appropriately

11 hours ago, Peasyman said:
14 hours ago, catakoom said:
What a pathetic excuse

Let's break into the club and get the kit. Great idea. Glasgow Life have been closed since the 23rd Dec

That's the most embarrassing comment I've ever read on pie and bovril

11 hours ago, The real Dembele said:

I think he's got a hard enough job without trying to second guess the movements of other teams and tv companies. Why not make all Rangers or Celtic games on a Monday night, that will avoid any clashes.

9 hours ago, The real Dembele said:

Just to give a perspective from my viewpoint about fixtures over the ‘Xmas/Neerday Holidays’.

We now have a league structure that requires 1860 games against last seasons 1532, a difference of 328.

Over the last fortnight 61 games were originally scheduled. On 22nd December,1 game was abandoned. 5 games were postponed for weather related reasons. On 29th December, 8 games were lost due to the weather and 3 for other reasons, a total of 17 games over the two weeks. Therefore 44 games took place. That’s 44 games that do not need re-scheduled. 44 games that won’t be played on a Monday or Wednesday. So from my viewpoint, it was justified to have these fixtures. 

As for the 'Old firm game' clashing with all our games. It's unfortunate timing, sure, but I did not and will not look at any fixtures from other levels of the game. Where would it end? No games in Ayrshire if Ayr met Killie in a cup? South and North Lanarkshire teams given a day off for a Hamilton v Motherwell game? 

Now, before you have a go at me, I appreciate that the examples are not quite on a par with Rangers v Celtic, but my main concern is with the 63 West Region teams and I have enough things to work around without outside influences affecting our fixtures.

I'm quite happy to accommodate any teams that want to play their fixture at a different time or a different day and as long as it is feasible, I would encourage it.

9 minutes ago, Kennie said:

Just to give a perspective from my viewpoint about fixtures over the ‘Xmas/Neerday Holidays’.

We now have a league structure that requires 1860 games against last seasons 1532, a difference of 328.

Over the last fortnight 61 games were originally scheduled. On 22nd December,1 game was abandoned. 5 games were postponed for weather related reasons. On 29th December, 8 games were lost due to the weather and 3 for other reasons, a total of 17 games over the two weeks. Therefore 44 games took place. That’s 44 games that do not need re-scheduled. 44 games that won’t be played on a Monday or Wednesday. So from my viewpoint, it was justified to have these fixtures. 

As for the 'Old firm game' clashing with all our games. It's unfortunate timing, sure, but I did not and will not look at any fixtures from other levels of the game. Where would it end? No games in Ayrshire if Ayr met Killie in a cup? South and North Lanarkshire teams given a day off for a Hamilton v Motherwell game? 

Now, before you have a go at me, I appreciate that the examples are not quite on a par with Rangers v Celtic, but my main concern is with the 63 West Region teams and I have enough things to work around without outside influences affecting our fixtures.

I'm quite happy to accommodate any teams that want to play their fixture at a different time or a different day and as long as it is feasible, I would encourage it.

Good Post and I don't think it's just in the west juniors and the old firm attraction. I'm sure for a  hibs v hearts scottish Cup final a team in the east couldn't fulfil a fixture and lots of players called off to attend the hearts v hibs game, I might be wrong but I think it was Musselburgh, one of there players was a guy called Tansley I think - the half brother of leigh Griffiths - and I'm sure there was a real attraction through the east to attend hampden rather than play junior that day. 

Guest Moomintroll

Kennie, the vast majority of club officials, players and supporters will appreciate the difference you have made this year in terms of scheduling. Unfortunately there are still teams out there who take it for granted and pull the various ploys we witnessed yesterday that can have a serious knock on effect towards the end of the season. It is a forlorn hope but would hope the West Management Committee put measures in place to stop this farce as some of the excuses are pitiful. I have to hold my hands up and admit I once forgot it was my job to pick up the kit for a game, cant remember where it was, we played in that teams away kit and I got peltered for it for months afterwards.

Archived