Airdrie V Stranraer

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

Stranraer were very poor. Airdrie didn’t have to work hard for their win. Hate how deep we sit. Could maybe have won by more if we attacked a bit more. And we still have 11 men in the box defending corners! Hate that.

Corners - I think the idea is to have a quick breakaway from the forward players that are defending - clever if you have players of the technical ability and nounce. In the defence of the manager - how many goals have we leaked in the past from corners - i.e. he has learned from the Dumbarton game.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Corners - I think the idea is to have a quick breakaway from the forward players that are defending - clever if you have players of the technical ability and nounce. In the defence of the manager - how many goals have we leaked in the past from corners - i.e. he has learned from the Dumbarton game.

Always remember Wolecki-Black taking a slaughtering for 11 men back. I don’t like it myself, but defensively I don’t think we looked in any trouble today. Kept a clean sheet and took the chances we made (which weren’t a huge amount).

I do think we need someone in the middle of the park to win some of those battles and we do need to shut things down a bit quicker. How many crosses get by us, how many players just run right through us.

BUT - it’s three great points and I’m speaking generally above. I think I need to adjust a bit to Murray’s style of play, however not sure we’d get away with today against a team with a strong front line.

If you struggled to find a positive from a 3-0 win Then you’re not looking very hard.
We won comfortably and kept a clean sheet. That not enough for you? 
As for the forward pass nonsense, Not every pass has to go forward. It’s called trying to keep possession. 
Even at 3 nil up there were stupid shouts aimed at players and even Murray. Crazy stuff. 
Thats Airdrie for you though. 

This. I find it astounding that airdrie fans were moaning today. A solid 3-0 victory and its all doom and gloom. Grant Gallagher strolls the game yet gets vilified for a few backward passes to keep possession. Its quite ridiculous but as stated above that's Airdrie fans for you. Utterly ridiculous.

We were poor tho. I’m struggling to find a positive out of a 3-0 win. Stranraer had 11 corners to our none. Our midfield were posted missing and hardly played a forward pass. If Stranraer has a forward worth his salt they would’ve won. But hey 2 wins on the trot I’ll take it.

You must be having a laugh. A comfortable 3-0 victory and your struggling to find a positive? How about the fact it wasn't 0-3? Or that we didn't concede a goal? Or that we won at home when our home record has been pretty patchy.

Airdrie fans are a special breed right enough.

Let's not forget Stranraer were the form team in the league with an unbeaten run of 5 games (including an away win at Arbroath, an away pont at East Fife and a vctory over Forfar).

Great result yesterday.

You must be having a laugh. A comfortable 3-0 victory and your struggling to find a positive? How about the fact it wasn't 0-3? Or that we didn't concede a goal? Or that we won at home when our home record has been pretty patchy. 
Airdrie fans are a special breed right enough.

It didn’t feel that comfortable until the 3rd goal went in though.

Defensively it was a good performance. Crighton appears to have regained some composure and O’Neill has cut out the rash challenges without watering down his commitment, and I can only think of one lapse of concentration throughout the game. Much better than when Murray joined.

At the other end McIntosh and Duffy made 3 of the 4 proper chances we had count. That’s a pretty good return and one we shouldn’t expect to see repeated particularly often.

But .... we seemed incapable of asserting any control in midfield and it felt like this was constantly putting the defence under pressure.

It wasn't vintage by any means but it was a fairly solid victory. I cant really remember our 'keeper having to do anything of note.

Yes, our midfield was posted missing but it was as comfortable as I've seen us.

Stranraer hit the post at 2-0 and we were lucky the rebound didn’t fall to one of their players or it would have been a simple tap in.

If they had gotten a goal at that point then I can imagine nerves would have started to come into play.

Don’t get me wrong. If we win 70% of the remaining games this season, I won’t care whether each performance is like yesterday’s. I’ll learn to live with it.

37 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Stranraer hit the post at 2-0 and we were lucky the rebound didn’t fall to one of their players or it would have been a simple tap in.

If they had gotten a goal at that point then I can imagine nerves would have started to come into play.

Don’t get me wrong. If we win 70% of the remaining games this season, I won’t care whether each performance is like yesterday’s. I’ll learn to live with it.

Nothing if not ambitious , going from 43% to 70% , that’s 12 wins out of 17 , with 8 from 19 so far , 

still if we go on like that , our recent form will be for nowt , 

Nothing if not ambitious , going from 43% to 70% , that’s 12 wins out of 17 , with 8 from 19 so far , 

That’s kinda the point I’m acknowledging. No-one (least of all me) will care about the style of winning if the results continue to improve.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

That’s kinda the point I’m acknowledging. No-one (least of all me) will care about the style of winning if the results continue to improve.

Aye but that’s Arbroath’s form , nobody else has looked like it , i’d Forecast if you can get above 50% with some draws chucked in you have a decent shout at the play offs , but in this league so do we all 

Fair enough in the cold light of day I agree the defence looks much more secure in recent weeks. I think mckenzie in goals helps. How that would pan out against some of the stronger teams will remain to be seen. I still think we have a front 2 in Carrick and Duffy who will bang in goals given the right service. The midfield is the issue and doesn’t create a lot. How many times were backwards passed made when Edwards had loads of room to receive a pass and take on Hamill who’s legs are gone. It was frustrating. For a 3-0 victory against one of the poorer teams on the league I spent a fair whack of yesterday looking at my watch which seemed to have stopped for a good while of the 2nd half.

I know we have beaten Stranraer three times but I don't agree that they are "one of the poorer teams" in this league-everyone from 2nd place down to 10th has had spells of poor play/results, including of course us under Findlay. I think having won  at Dumbarton last week they deserved some respect. Their cup win at Arbroath is also worth thinking about. I would love to see Dumbarton and Brechin to both get relegated this season if only to reduce the Angus League trips.

I know we have beaten Stranraer three times but I don't agree that they are "one of the poorer teams" in this league-everyone from 2nd place down to 10th has had spells of poor play/results, including of course us under Findlay. I think having won  at Dumbarton last week they deserved some respect. Their cup win at Arbroath is also worth thinking about. I would love to see Dumbarton and Brechin to both get relegated this season if only to reduce the Angus League trips.
Harsh on Dumbarton BUT....
I don't give a f*ck who goes down if we win the playoffs.
Well, one can hope.

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Harsh on Dumbarton BUT....
I don't give a f*ck who goes down if we win the playoffs.
Well, one can hope.

I just meant to see the  two relegated from last season keep sliding-I would prefer to see Dumbarton survive and another Angus team go ( to be replaced by Peterhead-FFS) I agree about finally winning a play off!

It was hardly a classic, but I'd take the the same every week if we could keep getting results like that.  I didn't think that any one of McIntosh, Stewart or Millar actually had an especially good game, but Stewart and Millar were able to create one chance each, and McIntosh was able to put them away.   Two wins and two clean sheets on the bounce isn't bad.

Stunk the place out with one of our worst performances of the season. Didnt like the line up before hand. Usual awful game at Airdrie. An easy win for them. Only turner played with the pace and ability needed. Hopefully see a better performance this saturday.

Archived