Newspapers.

ICTJohnboy

You used to be a decent poster Granny until you started to take things too seriously, and become the aggressive, closed, intolerant, mess that we've endured for the last few years.  

You only joined the forum last month, so who were you b4?
For the record, its the aggressive, closed intolerant mess which makes GD a decent poster [emoji23]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped buying a regular morning paper years ago, but will still buy a local evening paper depending upon where I’m working to sit with over a pint. Immediate online news has pretty much replaced a visit to the newsagents. Must admit though, the ritual of picking out football and racing selections at the table over breakfast on a Saturday morning seems hard to break, even if it then means placing the bet online. The Times Sports supplement is the usual choice. Usually get at least some sort of Boxing write up too.

Bless you got a bit upset because, as a supporter of Scottish Independence I said this about the National newspaper ?  
"The National needs to drop the -  "Newspaper that supports an Independent Scotland"  tagline and start filling the paper with stuff that folk actually buy a paper for and if that included a good looking girl on page 3 and lots of football coverage then so be it"  
You used to be a decent poster Granny until you started to take things too seriously, and become the aggressive, closed, intolerant, mess that we've endured for the last few years.  
Please, stop playing silly games and engage with the posts, not the poster.   
You are person who has went through various alias account over "the last few years ". You are a sadact.

I still buy daily newspapers . Important news. And then look at stuff like the Daily Record and Mail online and see reports about the Kardashians bums or how to cut an onion or how to dress a christmas tree. Internet stuff is, well, just stuff...

41 minutes ago, sfha said:

I still buy daily newspapers . Important news. And then look at stuff like the Daily Record and Mail online and see reports about the Kardashians bums or how to cut an onion or how to dress a christmas tree. Internet stuff is, well, just stuff...

:lol:

Like what?

The National largely comes across every bit as comic-y as the rest of the tabloids. Even as someone sympathetic to Indy I agree with a previous poster saying they’d be embarrassed walking up to the counter with one, it’s headlines are nearly every bit as sensationalist as the likes of The Mail - only with a massively pro-Indy stance.

Papers are mostly rags anyway and the only reason I’d ever get one on the very rare occasion is for coverage of Scottish football. Even then it’s hard to find one with decent lower-league coverage (absolutley no chance I’m buying The Sun and The Record is awful in just about every other aspect). Even The Herald and The Scotsman seem half-arsed about lower league football most of the time and dedicate too many sports pages to shite like rugby and cricket.

In terms of actual news then you’re obviously more likely to find the odd decent article in the typical broadsheets but they all still have plenty of faults (some more so than others).

In short: they’re all largely shite and it’s no surprise the industry is dying on its arse in the current age.

• 2 weeks later...

I occasionally get a notion to buy a newspaper on a Sunday but the last time I did (maybe 2 years ago) it went in the bin mainly unread.

Actual printed newspapers take time. So unless you have loads of that to spare then what’s the point?

I occasionally, maybe once a week, watch Channel 4 news. I occasionally, maybe once a month find myself clicking on a Competition link and end up reading an online newspaper article or two. Usually the Telegraph or Guardian. Sometimes catch the ITV or BBC local news in the evening. Again, maybe once or twice a week.

The early morning World News on the BBC on a Saturday morning sometimes gets a view too. It’s usually very good.

I think I will go back to Sunday newspapers at some point in the future when I have more time as they are better than daily’s for analysis of what’s went on that week. By that time printed copies will be done and it’ll be online only.

I'm Old Skool and whilst I totally agree that contemporary newspapers are a poor offering they are still very relevant, in that they can provide breadth, depth, opinion and analysis compared with the internet. It is primarily a repository of factoids and naked propaganda for those who need pictures with their words.

I can even enjoy the occasional piece in for example The Telegraph due to the quality of the writing, and I defy anyone to tell me that journos like Iain McWhirter, Kevin McKenna and David Pratt of The Herald don't hit the mark.

The political threads on here are way, way beyond the likes of the BBC website and that's why I'm here, but there is a mix to be enjoyed across books, papers, television and the internet.

Don't believe everything 25-year old geeks tell you - I've fried enough in oil online and in the boozer [emoji481]

• 1 month later...

I haven't bought our local paper The Inverness Courier for some years now ever since they ran a full back page of  a non story on the possibility of the County manager Jim McIntyre moving to another club, the saturday before we had just beaten Aberdeen but that big win was relegated to an inside page, I went to their office and spoke to their sports guy but his justification was that many County fans live in Inverness while my point was that a win against Aberdeen was surely bigger news for the INVERNESS Courier.

They have always run with articles on Caley and County on the Courier back page but never with Caley fitba news on the North Star or Ross Shire Journal, yet there are Caley Fans living on the Black Isle and beyond.

The owners Scottish Provincial Press own 15 weekly Highland rags and they made a huge loss last year of nearly £2 million pre tax which I suppose can be put down to people like me accessing the internet for news, within a few years they will be a thing of the past.

Regarding their politics I would think they are Tory like most rags and anti Scottish Independance, I remember that their long standing editor left to join a conservative media group a few years back, and also interestingly one of the SPP's Directors is the grandly titled the 3rd Baron Lliffe of Yattendon, Commodore of The Royal Yacht of Cowes worth £200 million, doubtful he voted Labour?

On 12/27/2018 at 23:03, DA Baracus said:

Absolutely not. 

They can all get so far to f**k. They're just hate manuals intercut with celebrity worship to distract you from the atrocities of the government of the day.

Horrible propaganda machines. I haven't bought one since about 2004 and haven't read one since probably just after. I don't read or watch the news at all. It's garbage nonsense. This seems to surprise many folk who ask where I get 'my news' from. Others say I'm ignorant of what's going on.

I reply that I don't care and anything important I'll hear about anyway, usually through social media or on here.

I agree with what you say here and I'm trying to break down barriers. Why did you call me "an utter c**t" when I pointed out that someone was being childish? It was hardly an extreme view and certainly didn't merit the schoolboy response from you, given you're clearly capable of better. 

Archived