Newspapers.

ICTJohnboy

Looking at the comments on the Brexit and other threads on newspapers, I'm wondering how many out there in P&B land pick up a daily rag every morning and are influenced by it?

Personally I gave up buying a paper on a daily basis ever since Andrew Neil and Fraser Nelson turned the Scotsman into a far right, Blair/Bush/war in Iraq  supporting pile of shit.

Occasionally, if embarking on a train, or plane journey I'll pick up a Guardian or an Independent to help while away the hours, although to catch up on the latest news I'm quite happy to click on to Sky News on my phone.

So..... What's the newspaper of your choice and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've long, 20 ,25 years,  done without a daily newspaper.

I do buy the print edition of the Observer on a Sunday.

The Guardian / Observer professes to be for liberal minded people. 

It is though a little too right wing for me, in particular it's readiness to criticise Corbyn.

In general, like much of politics in the UK over the last 30 years that have shifted rightwards, the paper has acquiesced to that.

Away from opinion pieces, I do like the way it works cooperatively with, for example, Channel 4 and CNN to do good proper investigative journalism.

Absolutely not. 

They can all get so far to f**k. They're just hate manuals intercut with celebrity worship to distract you from the atrocities of the government of the day.

Horrible propaganda machines. I haven't bought one since about 2004 and haven't read one since probably just after. I don't read or watch the news at all. It's garbage nonsense. This seems to surprise many folk who ask where I get 'my news' from. Others say I'm ignorant of what's going on.

I reply that I don't care and anything important I'll hear about anyway, usually through social media or on here.

I avoid all the branch " Scottish" ones although I rarely read them anyway before 2014. Tended to read the Glasgow herald before I retired and liked the football Monday of the Daily record/Sunday Mail but that stopped after the "Vow". My Sunday paper used to move between the Sunday Times/Observer/Sunday Herald for a bit of balance. I now read the National most days (buy) and while I have gone with it on Sunday I don't like the broadsheet lay out.  My views are not created by the paper but I suppose it does tend to reinforce much of what I think. The influence of the MSM on elections is clearly important in framing the "debates" but there are many other sources now compared to my early days in politics of the 70s/80s.

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't read or watch the news at all. It's garbage nonsense. This seems to surprise many folk who ask where I get 'my news' from. Others say I'm ignorant of what's going on.

I reply that I don't care and anything important I'll hear about anyway, usually through social media or on here.

Good answer, although I'm not quite sure if you'll be receiving well balanced, fair minded news reporting and coverage  on here!

25 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I avoid all the branch " Scottish" ones although I rarely read them anyway before 2014. Tended to read the Glasgow herald before I retired and liked the football Monday of the Daily record/Sunday Mail but that stopped after the "Vow". My Sunday paper used to move between the Sunday Times/Observer/Sunday Herald for a bit of balance. I now read the National most days (buy) and while I have gone with it on Sunday I don't like the broadsheet lay out.  My views are not created by the paper but I suppose it does tend to reinforce much of what I think. The influence of the MSM on elections is clearly important in framing the "debates" but there are many other sources now compared to my early days in politics of the 70s/80s.

The National and balance in the same paragraph :lol:

10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Looking at the comments on the Brexit and other threads on newspapers, I'm wondering how many out there in P&B land pick up a daily rag every morning and are influenced by it?

Personally I gave up buying a paper on a daily basis ever since Andrew Neil and Fraser Nelson turned the Scotsman into a far right, Blair/Bush/war in Iraq  supporting pile of shit.

Occasionally, if embarking on a train, or plane journey I'll pick up a Guardian or an Independent to help while away the hours, although to catch up on the latest news I'm quite happy to click on to Sky News on my phone.

So..... What's the newspaper of your choice and why?

You don't buy The Scostman because it went right wing but you happily use the Sky News app? 

Stopped buying national daily papers in the early 90s.  Continued to buy the Sunday Mail and Sunday Post for the football until the internet became a bigger thing.  Depending on where I lived, I would occasionally buy the local papers which may have come out once or twice a week but that was more for local info than any national or international news but have even stopped that now.

Now get most of my news off various internet sites (including P&B) :)  Still despair seeing my parents and in-laws buying the Mail every day though and given my mother's more vocal stance (lecturing us) on politics since 2014, she can no longer kid on that she only buys it for the sudoku and crossword puzzles.

Usually just tune into Sky News on the daily. Newspapers aren’t about making money though, they’re there to set the terms of debate on public issues. Nick Robinson referring to the Sunday Times’s coverage of trans issues in his interview, I think, with Paris Lees is a good example.

Free guardian app on my phone, and for more left wing stuff I get the odd second hand morning star from my dad.

I flick through all the news channels on a daily basis (with no great allegiance to any of them), and use the BBC news website even though I hate myself for doing so. It's coverage has went downhill ridiculously in the last ten years.

No social media, other than links from here.

All in all, quite happy with my balance of news and information - but I'll have to replace the left wing stuff when my old man goes (he's 80 next year so it's something to think about).

Free guardian app on my phone, and for more left wing stuff I get the odd second hand morning star from my dad.

I flick through all the news channels on a daily basis (with no great allegiance to any of them), and use the BBC news website even though I hate myself for doing so. It's coverage has went downhill ridiculously in the last ten years.

No social media, other than links from here.

All in all, quite happy with my balance of news and information - but I'll have to replace the left wing stuff when my old man goes (he's 80 next year so it's something to think about).

The best left wing analysis you can get these days is from people on Twitter with names like icum4mao and daddylenin.

Archived