Lanarkshire Derby: Accies v ‘Well

I think we've seen the last of Canning. That looked like half a team who don't care and half a team who are just dreadful.
We completely fell apart as soon as Aldred scored his first and never looked like adding a second.
There was absolutely no width which made life easy for Motherwell (a punt in behind was all we had) but McMann going off completely killed it. Should've gone to a back four when that happened as we were reliant on the hopeless Sowah to provide an attacking threat.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For anyone in any doubt about how good a manager Canning is, here is his record for 2018

Season 17/18 Played 17 Won 3 Goals for 17 Against 34

Season 18/19 Played 21 Won 4 Goals for 14 Against 43

TOTALS Played 38 Won 7 Goals for 31 Against 77

Win percentage of 18%

Crowds are down considerably and will continue to slide, less than a goal a game, a defence with more holes than Rab C Nesbitts vest and atrocious football

Someone please explain why this guy is still in charge, its beyond me

Another team on a bad run turns it round against Accies some cliche eh?

Well done on staying up Motherwell. That’s the relegation/play off fight now rightly between the 3 worst teams in league.

Yet again we could still be playing just now and not have equalised. First time in a long long time I’ve seen the fans turn against the Manager like that though.

If Canning is still in charge against St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup game in 2 weeks I reckon that will be my last away game until he goes - only going as of now cos it's the cup.

It's really difficult to justify spending any more of my money on travelling to watch this Canning side.

Well that went better than I expected. That ramshackle 11 actually functioned quite well. A few observations:

1. ATS is absolutely stealing a wage. Completely and utterly hopeless. Like Straker without the patter.
  2. Frear was very good. I'm super critical of him because I think he's quite often a total shitebag but today he was absolutely class. That full back was chasing shadows all game. 
  3. Sammon was...ok? It's damning with faint praise to say it but he's an improvement on Bowman. He wasn't great but he put himself about well. 
  4. Johnson is an impostor. Absolutely not having any of this chat that he's potentially a new Moult. He's weak to hold the ball up, always seems to want the ball over his head and doesn't contribute enough. 

Someone said it on the Killie thread but we're probably a centre mid and a striker away from being absolutely fine. 

See as pish as we've been, the players are clearly fine with the management team. The number of times over the past decade that we've seen the team down tools, this one isn't, certainly.

Frear with his best performance in about 18 months was nice. 

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

See as pish as we've been, the players are clearly fine with the management team. The number of times over the past decade that we've seen the team down tools, this one isn't, certainly.

Frear with his best performance in about 18 months was nice. 

Aye that's kind of why I've not jumped on the Robinson out bus. At the end of McGhee, McCall and Baraclough's stints you could plainly see that they had completely gave up. Today kind of showed that we are still willing to fight despite having an injury list as long as your arm. 

Delighted to see Lenny Sowah is still absolutely hopeless too.

What makes you say that? From the board's point of view they will probably be happy going in to 2019 outside the bottom 2
Just a feeling.
I think there was a turn today. I've not seen a reaction like what we saw at the end of the game to an Accies manager. Out of the squad, the only players who look like they're playing for the manager are the ones who'd play for anyone.
The board gave him his own squad in the summer which he has completely fucked up, so they won't trust him to get the best out of January signings.
I could be misreading the situation and would usually agree with you that he's safe, but I just think today was the end.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:
  1. ATS is absolutely stealing a wage. Completely and utterly hopeless. Like Straker without the patter.
  2. Frear was very good. I'm super critical of him because I think he's quite often a total shitebag but today he was absolutely class. That full back was chasing shadows all game. 
  3. Sammon was...ok? It's damning with faint praise to say it but he's an improvement on Bowman. He wasn't great but he put himself about well. 
  4. Johnson is an impostor. Absolutely not having any of this chat that he's potentially a new Moult. He's weak to hold the ball up, always seems to want the ball over his head and doesn't contribute enough. 

Agree with all of this except 3 - He worked right hard and fair play to him for that, but he contributed almost f**k all. From the outset, I wasn't sure he offered any more than James Scott, and I'm yet to be convinced he can. 

On 4, he's half a yard of pace short of what is required. He isn't going to get that half-yard either. 

f**k me - I walked out of NDP happy.

The key to the whole thing was that we equalised very quickly before the usual horror story that was unfolding got a chance to settle in - but today, I felt that we were actually much calmer than usual away at Accies and we played our own game and were able - albeit to a limited extent - to impose ourselves on the game, which is something that a whole succession of 'Well teams haven't done there.

I thought Accies were poor and they seem to have less about them this season than before - interesting to see if they trust Canning with the upcoming transfer window....

4-4-2 used to be the defacto formation in our league and it was almost weird to see us play a version of that today given what we've seen recently. The good stuff was there - eg - being able to use a winger! Frear had his best game in ages today as he wasn't expected to do any wing-back pish. Cadden was sitting near me today and he would have loved to be in that line-up and not have to carry the ball from our own 18 yard line.  The bad stuff was also there - getting caught square a few times in the early part of the game that led to Imrie's goal - and when you have no pace at the back, it's likely to happen. I get that it is more difficult to play 4-4-2 against a decent midfield 3 - but I thought it was quite refreshing to see and would like to see it again.

Our main problem, which hopefully will be rectified soon - is obviously that there is no combination of our forward players that works. Regardless of the individual merits of the players, it is not working and the fact that we had to rely on the (generally excellent) Aldred to score for us, tells us everything we need to know.

Anyway - as positive a way to finish a shite first half of the season as we could hope for - hope a bit of Tenerife and some new signings has us re-energised and ready to go for the County game....

Think Andy Rose is due a lot of credit for today tbh. Would have been fairly easy for him to half-arse the game or just patch it altogether , but I thought it was a pretty admirably commited performance from someone who had every right not to give a f**k.

Edit- on Rose, you can definitely spot the American media training in that post match interview, can't you? 

Archived