Glencairn v Whitlets

The1andonly

It was to try and encourage a bigger crowd as there would only be one other game on in the Glasgow area on Friday night.
Just say yes,
we all know clubs have been looking to move fixtures to the Friday night if possible as too many folk are more interested in that game than actually following there Junior club

Speaking from the perspective of one of the sides who have switched their game. if it was played on Saturday it would probably attract 100-odd diehards but that figure could easily more than double on a Friday night, a figure that will include some neutrals and aye, probably some OF fans as well.

I know it seems to be received wisdom that every junior fan has a "big" team. Some do undoubtedly, but it's far from being the universal West of Scotland binary so many imagine it to be.

Come Saturday I'll more than likely stay local and go to Cambuslang v Talbot. That holds more interest to me than watching the OF swinging their handbags at each other across the city.

Speaking from the perspective of one of the sides who have switched their game. if it was played on Saturday it would probably attract 100-odd diehards but that figure could easily more than double on a Friday night, a figure that will include some neutrals and aye, probably some OF fans as well.
I know it seems to be received wisdom that every junior fan has a "big" team. Some do undoubtedly, but it's far from being the universal West of Scotland binary so many imagine it to be.
Come Saturday I'll more than likely stay local and go to Cambuslang v Talbot. That holds more interest to me than watching the OF swinging their handbags at each other across the city.
So where does it end ?
Do we switch games to a Friday night every time one of the Glasgow teams are at home or should we just stop playing on a Saturday altogether to accommodate a few naturals and part timers ?

6 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

So where does it end ?
Do we switch games to a Friday night every time one of the Glasgow teams are at home or should we just stop playing on a Saturday altogether to accommodate a few naturals and part timers ?

think most folk looking for a change would just prefer to avoid clashing with the old firm games and stuff like the Scottish Cup final.  

think most folk looking for a change would just prefer to avoid clashing with the old firm games and stuff like the Scottish Cup final.  
Thats clear but the question is do we devalue our own game to pandering to that game .
Like I have said I can understand it from a financial point of view but let's not make out it's done for other reasons than simply too many clubs have too many fans more interested in the success of a senior club rather than attend the junior club match of the team they claim to support

4 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Thats clear but the question is do we devalue our own game to pandering to that game .
Like I have said I can understand it from a financial point of view but let's not make out it's done for other reasons than simply too many clubs have too many fans more interested in the success of a senior club rather than attend the junior club match of the team they claim to support

Yeah, I agree that's exactly why it happens, although I've generally found people to be fairly open about having a "big team" and "wee team".  

I repeat, the game is being played on Saturday with a 1.45pm kick off, as originally scheduled. It is not being moved to accommodate Old Firm supporters, despite the comments above. Both teams are happy with this arrangement.

5 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

So where does it end ?

Were that to be the case we'd probably only be playing on Friday nights from now on! Nah, it's a once or twice a season at most novelty that'll get some more folk through the gate which can only be a good thing rather than just resorting to sniffy purism and preaching to the converted.

I don't think it's pandering; the neutrals and part timers are hopefully there to be won over and might end up in time being new regulars.  Chances are in this part of the world most folk have grown up favouring one half or other of the OF however slightly, so like it or not those are more than likely the quarters from where new fans will be made.

In an ideal world there'd be a featured floodlit junior league game scheduled every couple of weeks either midweek or on a Friday....lights are far from being a rarity these days after all.

I repeat, the game is being played on Saturday with a 1.45pm kick off, as originally scheduled. It is not being moved to accommodate Old Firm supporters, despite the comments above. Both teams are happy with this arrangement.

Give yourself a day off course you tried to move it due to that game since you have not tried to play on a Friday the rest of the season  

And clearly despite trying to convince yourself otherwise your not happy with the arrangement otherwise why ask for the game to moved in the first place

Give yourself a day off course you tried to move it due to that game since you have not tried to play on a Friday the rest of the season  And clearly despite trying to convince yourself otherwise your not happy with the arrangement otherwise why ask for the game to moved in the first place

You can believe me or not, it really isn't important. The game is tomorrow, we've known that since last week, and we get on with it. You are the only person who is trying to make an issue out of it.

Archived