DUNDEE vs ST. JOHNSTONE

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm of that vintage too, knew Mark well back in the day. Where's he been playing?

He's done a few nights in the venue upstairs, not advertised, stumbled across the first one by accident :lol: he also did a set at my mates wedding, probably the best wedding I've been to.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We looked really low on energy against st Mirren after the efforts of the rangers game 3 days earlier, so wonder if there will be a few changes here?

Watt would probably have dropped out if he hadn't scored, though we have previous for dropping goalscorers on several occasions this season, so interesting to see what we do there.  Half expecting Chris Kane to start after his 2 goal display at Dens 8 months ago.

Always rated Kenny Miller as a player, puts everything into a game, and think his goals  will be what keep Dundee up above st Mirren. Kamara and McGowan usually dominate possession against our centre midfield, wouldn't be surprised to see that again here, just hope our attacking players can do more damage when we do get on the ball.

A win here would be a great way to end the year, to finish on a high and keep in touch with the top four, so just hope we can give it one last push.

Clark

Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser

Alston Callachan Craig Wotherspoon

Kennedy 

Watt

Seems after every away performance that I say we'll need to play better next time round but yet we keep grinding out the wins. I'm certain this time we'll need to play better than yesterday. Surely. 

It's been a funny run. We were poor at Motherwell for 70 mins before coming alive and the same was the case yesterday. I didn't think we were too hot at Pittodrie either and we never looked like getting a second after scoring early at Livingston. Easter Road was a good performance. Two constants though have been the positive impact of substitutes and a defence that has given absolutely nothing away. A new type of challenge in the wily Kenny Miller though. 

As pointed out by others, there looked a lethargy about the team yesterday that wasn't exposed by a fairly pedestrian St Mirren side. I'd expect Dundee to play with a lot more energy. Saints have gone to Dens Park on good runs more than once in recent seasons only to come unstuck. We have a habit of losing early goals there, we've been behind within 21 minutes in 5 of the last 6 meetings. In this league, that's always going to cause you a problem and it's not surprise that we've lost on all 5 occasions. 

Have a feeling that Kane might come in alongside Watt, with Kennedy back into midfield. The fresh legs of Wotherspoon for Alston and although you wouldn't feel confident in going overboard with your praise of him generally, Callachan has probably done well enough in the last two games to mean they won't risk Davidson if he isn't fully fit.

14 minutes ago, Radford said:

Seems after every away performance that I say we'll need to play better next time round but yet we keep grinding out the wins. I'm certain this time we'll need to play better than yesterday. Surely. 

It's been a funny run. We were poor at Motherwell for 70 mins before coming alive and the same was the case yesterday. I didn't think we were too hot at Pittodrie either and we never looked like getting a second after scoring early at Livingston. Easter Road was a good performance. Two constants though have been the positive impact of substitutes and a defence that has given absolutely nothing away. A new type of challenge in the wily Kenny Miller though. 

As pointed out by others, there looked a lethargy about the team yesterday that wasn't exposed by a fairly pedestrian St Mirren side. I'd expect Dundee to play with a lot more energy. Saints have gone to Dens Park on good runs more than once in recent seasons only to come unstuck. We have a habit of losing early goals there, we've been behind within 21 minutes in 5 of the last 6 meetings. In this league, that's always going to cause you a problem and it's not surprise that we've lost on all 5 occasions. 

Have a feeling that Kane might come in alongside Watt, with Kennedy back into midfield. The fresh legs of Wotherspoon for Alston and although you wouldn't feel confident in going overboard with your praise of him generally, Callachan has probably done well enough in the last two games to mean they won't risk Davidson if he isn't fully fit.

Was thinking about our run of 5 straight away wins as well, and, exactly as you say, our solid defending has kept us in matches, and then making positive subs with a view to winning the game has given us all three points.

Credit to the manager here, as after being second best for long spells in some of these games in terms of possession (Motherwell, Aberdeen, st Mirren), a lot of managers might have been happy to settle for a point. But introducing Kennedy at Well, Swanson at Hibs, Alston at Aberdeen and Spoony and Kane yesterday, have seen us finish the stronger side in each game. Three last minute winners isn't just down to luck.

In previous seasons we could do the defensive part, but possibly lacked the edge in attack to hurt teams.

I genuinely don't think Tommy is overly fussed about possession, it's all about stopping the opposition from creating chances and what we do with it when we do get on the ball.  I won't be surprised if Dundee dominate the possession stats on Saturday, but we end up having more chances, as was the case in the game at McDiarmid earlier in the season.  But agree, the big difference is Kenny Miller, who will bring a real attacking threat compared to the previous game.

The utility is second only to you ogling high school girls in your pie reviews in the minter stakes. 
It's lucky I introduced the phrase "minter" to this site. You and Tam seem to be wearing it out.

Raps in the pus at the Airlie Arms all round.

I miss those days, was reminiscing with Mark Burns about it not long ago. He still djs now and again. 

Was such a great time. Feel lucky to have been coming of age at that time. Friday nights ‘on it’, recover at the football/in the pub on a Saturday [emoji14][emoji1303]

Banjo Kallman asked if he wants to stay at Dundee and he says he'd love to.

Asked what's the difference between Scottish football and football abroad and he replied along the lines of, 'there seems to be an acceptance more of lack of ability as long as there isn't a lack of mentality which seems more unacceptable over here.' - which is something I found interesting.

Finally, he was asked if Dundee fans were highlighting the importance of this upcoming 'derby' and he said, 'Every game is important to win, but it's not as if they're Dundee United.'

Archived