Rangers V The Champions.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It probably does as a spectacle for the neutral, but I can understand rangers doing it.  They have been outplayed by their rivals in just about every game since they were resurrected up until yesterday,  and had to do something, anything, to change the balance.

Having a quarter of your own ground singing and bouncing and pushing on your opponent probably doesn't help, and when you're looking to find any advantage you can get, then maybe this was in some small way a contributory factor to rangers dominating Celtic.

They probably feel they're likely to get pumped at Celtic anyway, so doesn't matter about having few of their own fans there.

If rangers ever gained superiority over Celtic on a regular basis, I wouldn't be surprised to see them revert back to the original allocation for away fans. Really don't see this being down to increased demand from their own fans, as you can't imagine it's any greater now than in years before they went bust when the bigger away allocation wasn't an issue.

It does make you wonder for the rest of us, how many fewer points the OF would get on the road if all us diddies agreed to limit them to under 1000 tickets. We'd all go bust, but what a brilliant season it could be. I'm not saying the crowd is the main factor, but when just about every fixture is turned into a home match, there must be a major advantage.

Exactly. When rangers were going through 9IAR, I don't recall any talk of cutting allocation because of demand, despite Ibrox being smaller by about ten thousand seats in those days. 

2 hours ago, The OP said:

If you listen to my Dad (I rarely do) violence between Celtic and Rangers supporters was far worse in the 60s. 

Must be a da' thing. My own faither will often talk about that, with stories about where Aikenhead Road meets Cathcart Road after a game at Hampden being a favourite of his. 

8 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Why are you going on about derbies and then talking about Rangers vs St Mirren?

I'm puzzled by that myself. 

52 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Even thou Celtic still have the domestic dominance the rest of the clubs have improved,the duopoly died in 2012.

Very appropriate for a Sunday...

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You only need to see the clamour for what's euphemistically being called a 'title race' in media circles, to recognise that the cause of reasserting the comfortable duopoly, is not short of cheerleaders.

Are you surprised by that?
The Tom English headline BBC piece with video of players celebrating their win was classic,pushing the agenda doesn't make it reality. 

35 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Why are you going on about derbies and then talking about Rangers vs St Mirren?

sev co v St. Mirren is as much a derby as Manchester City v Manchester Utd (Salford). Speak to Saint Mitten fans. As much a derby as the OF (IL).

15 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You overestimate the perception  of the media, the influence it had has greatly diminished.

Perhaps.

However, I understand your club's fondness for the duopoly better than you do.  That fondness ensures the duopoly lives on.

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Did Andy Halliday actually start crying at the end and claim beating Celtic was the best day of his life?

It's going to be a long few weeks for Romeo, losing to Sevco hasn't been easy for him.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You will need to expand on this fondness and how this duopoly lives on when it's now a monopoly?

Celtic's gates suffered more than anyone's when Rangers weren't around.  Didn't Lawell bleat about it costing them £10m per year?

They both want the stitch up at the top.  The irony is that the fans of each think the clubs couldn't be more different.  Lots of us recognise however, that they're hard to tell apart.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Did Andy Halliday actually start crying at the end and claim beating Celtic was the best day of his life?

1 hour ago, bennett said:

It's going to be a long few weeks for Romeo, losing to Sevco hasn't been easy for him.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg.98504a5b5c0fca99deaa6e2c2aba9fdb.jpg

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Celtic's gates suffered more than anyone's when Rangers weren't around.  Didn't Lawell bleat about it costing them £10m?

They both want the stitch up at the top.  The irony is that the fans of each think the clubs couldn't be more different.  Lots of us recognise however, that they're hard to tell apart.

And yet from 2012 the group revenue has doubled from £51m to £101m

7 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

We received and accepted the punishment handed out at the time (and deemed appropriate by the ruling body) for the financial mismanagement of the club.

Did you, with any grace?

This is where complicity of the Authorities comes in. A 20 year ban on any football activity might have covered it. They contrived to accommodate Rangers. I dip my toe into this cesspit occasionally. 

They are cheats and liars, a tradition carried on by the criminals that took up the mantle. You and your pals condone it rather than face the truth.

Archived