Rangers V The Champions.

14 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I’m not saying it was ‘peachy’ Serge, there have been all too many altercations over the years on match days. Maybe it’s just me, but the spiteful, vindictiveness of the occasion has heightened since the days we were given the whole ‘end’ at Parkhead.

Hand your league registration to Cove or one of the other teams not given the opportunity to apply when Rangers were fast tracked in to the league. Well Ibrox and the training ground, pay of some debt and it will all go away.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is theres actually no / not much violence surrounding an old firm match. Its just the mutants that bring religion into it, both sides are as guilty as each other.

Would i personally boo a minutes silence? No. Would i would i fly a union Jack flag or a tri colour? No. Sadly you will never change some people but in terms of actual hatred that turns to fights etc its pretty tame.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes agree the loss of income would be a huge hit for most clubs.

Its a difficult one though, as in the early 90's Saints would get over 8000 home fans against the old firm, and the games had a totally different feel; it felt like it was the OF teams who were up against it a bit rather than us as it does these days in home matches against either side.  Nowadays, we get our worst home supports against your two teams, and are lucky if it's 2000 home fans. So we could sell 7500 tickets to visiting fans, filling the stadium and maximising income, but at what cost longer term?.. alienating home fans and encouraging more not to attend, and effectively helping boost OF support by making it easier to see them in person at more grounds.

If we restricted OF away tickets to 1000, would more home fans come along? And if  everyone did the same, would this help grow the supports of clubs in their own communities rather than local people all over Scotland growing up watching the OF because we all make it quite easy to see them home and away?

Anyway, bit of a tangent for a rangers/Celtic thread!

Surprised you wouldn't want any away support at all at OF matches, even away supports of a few hundred are good for a bit of crack with during a game compared to none at all.

I've said in the past that anything that can reduce the advantages they enjoy would only be good for Scottish football.  The very thought of ANY club outside of those two actually winning the top league in our country is amazing. 

not much chat about the actual game.

at least this thread isn't full of young celtic fans with huntitlement syndrome bending the rules (of?) to claim McGregor was onside, or even that Beaton is some Celtic hater just because he's a ref. 

Hand your league registration to Cove or one of the other teams not given the opportunity to apply when Rangers were fast tracked in to the league. Well Ibrox and the training ground, pay of some debt and it will all go away.

We received and accepted the punishment handed out at the time (and deemed appropriate by the ruling body) for the financial mismanagement of the club.

58 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

I always find it amusing when people say they hate the Old firm but spent their Saturday afternoon on an Internet forum about the Old Firm game.

Thank you.

Why?

Interest, fascination or even obsession are not the same things as fondness.

I'm very interested in plenty things I can't stand.

Just now, Snifter Pee Rot said:

King banning Celtic fans probably worked was my main takeaway. No coincidence they played their worst vs Sevco ever.

Celtic fans weren't banned tho, that's Romeo levels of daftness....

If you listen to my Dad (I rarely do) violence between Celtic and Rangers supporters was far worse in the 60s. 

I’m sure it was, the games in the late 70’s & early 80’s, my first years of attending OF games were certainly ‘eventful’ on and off the terraces too. Admittedly it didn’t seem to bother me so much then, as mentioned earlier, as you get older perhaps you become a little more circumspect.

If I may draw another comparison with the game down south. Football Hooliganism was rife in the 70’s & 80’s but by and large they seem to have sorted it out. Improved attendances and a completely different demographic following the game. Yes there’s still the odd incident but we still seem to have more problems with fan segregation and behaviour in our game. I’m really not sure what the answer is.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why?

Interest, fascination or even obsession are not the same things as fondness.

I'm very interested in plenty things I can't stand.

I suppose it's like I hate the tories, kanye west and ben shapiro but i'm interested in what shite they're coming up out with next.

24 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Even thou Celtic still have the domestic dominance the rest of the clubs have improved,the duopoly died in 2012.

You only need to see the clamour for what's euphemistically being called a 'title race' in media circles, to recognise that the cause of reasserting the comfortable duopoly, is not short of cheerleaders.

Archived