Montrose vs Arbroath

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any part time club taking 600+ fans away is impressive. However I think the stats that really give an idea of each clubs connection with their towns would be the title winning games.
2010/2011 Arbroath 4 - 1 Montrose.
Att. 1243.
1st title win in 133 years existence and at home against local rivals.
2017/2018 Mo 1 - 1 Elgin
Att. 2380
A 2nd title after 30+ years of not a lot. About 1 away fan that I saw.

Actually having been at the 4-1 game I thought there was more there but that's what's in the books.

Crowd w**k over.

2 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

Any part time club taking 600+ fans away is impressive. However I think the stats that really give an idea of each clubs connection with their towns would be the title winning games.
2010/2011 Arbroath 4 - 1 Montrose.
Att. 1243.
1st title win in 133 years existence and at home against local rivals.
2017/2018 Mo 1 - 1 Elgin
Att. 2380
A 2nd title after 30+ years of not a lot. About 1 away fan that I saw.

Actually having been at the 4-1 game I thought there was more there but that's what's in the books.

Crowd w**k over.

OK, I'll bite

1) Simple transposition errors by Soccerbase don't give a true crowd figure. The actual recorded crowd (from thw AFC website) was 2143

2) On the last day of last season, the title was in Montrose's own hands. They only needed a draw. In 2010/11, Arbroath needed a result elsewhere to go their way (QP to beat Albion Rovers by a last minute goal) to win the Championship with 2 games to go. I had fully expected it to go to the wire and already had the hotel booked in Annan the next week

3) All you've really proved is that Montrose have a few more gloryhunters than Arbroath. Average crowds are a far better measure than one-off games.

3) All you've really proved is that Montrose have a few more gloryhunters than Arbroath. Average crowds are a far better measure than one-off games.

Ok I’ll bite.
Latest Census data -
Arbroath population - 23902
Montrose population - 11880
Granted the latest census data is from 2011, but the last accurate population data available.
If you consider that larger towns tend to get larger supports, then if the same percentage (discounting away fans as we’ve both played the same teams in the league), of the population attend games then it’s a fair shout that Arbroath should average nearly double the home support as Montrose?
IMG_5164.jpg
Crowd w**k over?

I wonder if Arbroath having taken in postwar Glasgow overspill has meant it has a higher percentage of supporters of the Ugly Sisters, than the other Angus towns? 

I'm not saying this to malign Arbroath. I just wondered if it is a factor from the town's history.

Archived