Celtic to go full time

GordonS

Interesting to see if this could give Celtic a chance to knock Glasgow off the top, unless they may be in a position to do the same? Evidently, they don't have the same cash available as Celtic as a whole but there was word of them developing a stadium so they must be doing alright

Interesting how little interest there has been in Scottish female football from the big guns. Sure  i saw a Scottish International team play the B team before a League Cup Final in March 1978 at Hampden. Celtic to go full time, 41 years later!!!

Interesting how little interest there has been in Scottish female football from the big guns. Sure  i saw a Scottish International team play the B team before a League Cup Final in March 1978 at Hampden. Celtic to go full time, 41 years later!!!
These things were pretty much just gimmicks. The SWPL was formed about 15 years ago, that's been the platform for everything that followed, with Glasgow and Hibs pushing each other to higher standards, then the national team crept up and up the rankings, knocking on the door of qualification a few painful times before making the Euros last year and the World Cup next year.

That's grown interest in the game but tbh, societal changes have had at least as big an impact, if not more so. There's a huge gender imbalance in football fans, and it probably helps a club to appear progressive and attractive to female supporters (and PC feminazi libtards like me) to have a flourishing women's team. I'm sure that's what was behind Man City's investment and likely many others. And as more do it, more pressure falls on those who haven't.

Top post, GordonS.

History tells us in the aftermath of WW1, the Scottish and English FAs almost burned the successful female footballers of the time at the stake. And thus it dies on its arse for the next 50/60 years. I’m sure the two big guns in Glasgow didn’t actually start up the teams but linked up with existing teams. Wasn’t Celtic WFC was called something like Arsenal Ladies originally. And how many times have they played inside Celtic Park, once or twice? Even my own team, St Roch’s, had a female team for about a season a couple of years back. Problem was there wasn’t any money outside of maybe a set of strips and use of ground on a Sunday. Btw, it was hard to watch even coming from the standard of the Juniors. Scores like 15-2 weren’t unusually at the bottom level. I wish Women’s football every success, hopefully with some serious money it might get above the level of Rugby Union in the East End of Glasgow.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at 22:37, Glenconner said:

History tells us in the aftermath of WW1, the Scottish and English FAs almost burned the successful female footballers of the time at the steak.  

Well done cutty sark.

For what its worth, Full time is anything above 16 hours a week essentially. 

4 training sessions of 2 hours plus 3/4 hours on a match day with some community work to make up hours. 

None of the players will be earning enough to make football their sole living. 

• 1 month later...

Appreciate going 'full' time is a big step, albeit peanuts to overall Celtic FC budget... but given they've never won anything, and lost a cup final 9-0 last season, isn't it a big rich to be playing the "Scotland is getting too small for us" card?

Celtic may have to consider move to England

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/celtic-may-consider-move-to-england-says-eddie-wolecki-black-1-4870708

Celtic women’s manager Eddie Wolecki Black says his side may have to consider applying to join England’s FA Women’s Super League.

The Scottish season gets under way tomorrow with a full card of SWPL fixtures – and Wolecki Black is frustrated at having missed out on several high-profile signing targets over the winter. It is understood the Hibernian duo of Abi Harrison and Rachel McLauchlan opted to join FA WSL clubs Bristol City and Yeovil Town rather than Celtic, while at least two Scotland internationalists playing in England said they were not prepared to return home for the same reason.

“There seems to be a common thread that the best players in this country will not sign here because they don’t want to play in this league,” Wolecki Black said. “I’ve spoken to several top-level players and their agents, and that’s the reply I’ve been getting.”

All the clubs in the FA WSL are fully professional, while none in Scotland is even semi-pro. Glasgow City have individual players on professional contracts, but Celtic will become the first club to go full-time, possibly after the World Cup in June.

“If I’m losing players to down south purely because of our league, that’s something we have to address,” Wolecki Black pointed out. “We’re fighting a big battle here. If all the national team players played in this country, what a league we would have. “Celtic are moving towards a full-time model, but we need Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United and others to jump on board. The only way this is going to work is if other clubs take up the mantle as well. “Am I optimistic about that? No. I think one or two might, but I’m not optimistic that five or six will.”

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Appreciate going 'full' time is a big step, albeit peanuts to overall Celtic FC budget... but given they've never won anything, and lost a cup final 9-0 last season, isn't it a big rich to be playing the "Scotland is getting too small for us" card?

:lol: Well they're certainly doing it the Celtic way!

When they deserve to be on the same pitch as Glasgow City or Hibs, then they can think about the level of competition. Right now they'd get tossed around the WSL like a chew toy. It would be double figures every week.

Archived