shite christmas presents

Also...there's a special place in hell for people who buy children school supplies, or clothes they needed anyway, for Christmas.

To quote the greatest philosopher of our age, Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes "Christmas is for wants, not needs."

Also...there's a special place in hell for people who buy children school supplies, or clothes they needed anyway, for Christmas.
To quote the greatest philosopher of our age, Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes "Christmas is for wants, not needs."
Weird, I bought my daughter clothes, stationary and Calvin and Hobbes album (among other things)

52 minutes ago, ayrshire_nomad said:
1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Weird, I bought my daughter clothes, stationary and Calvin and Hobbes album (among other things)

Clothes aren't in and of themselves a problem. I'm talking about when it's stuff they need, such as when I was given trousers for school to replace the ones I'd grown out of. That's not a Christmas present. Or a protractor and ruler set which the school required us to have.

And I have almost but not quite, all the Calvin and Hobbes albums so get in touch first, if you were planning on getting me one next year. Thanks.

Birthday but in the theme, when I was 12 my parents (f**k knows why my dad agreed) got me tickets to a musical at (I think) the Kings Theatre. A shite present for a 12 year old who showed absolutely zero interest in musicals or the theatre, it was made worse by the fact the whole family went, meaning my brother and sister also both got tickets. So not only was it a shite present, it was a shite present my brother and sister got aswell despite it not being their birthday. I still bring it up regularly, if I got what was essentially no present one year, then the same should happen to the both of them at some point too.

Darned socks , used to have a mad aul Auntie who kept darning my uncles socks , when he refused to wear them l got the fkn things every Christmas was even made to write a thank you letter as well

On 04/01/2019 at 03:56, Shotgun said:

This reminded me of a guy I used to work with who used his two daughter's Christmas money that they had got from relatives to buy their passports for their following year's family holiday. I can remember being seething about it at the time and wondering how many of the relatives who gave money would have been happy to have known that's how their gifts were used. 

I always buy vouchers or actual presents now just to be on the safe side. 

Darned socks , used to have a mad aul Auntie who kept darning my uncles socks , when he refused to wear them l got the fkn things every Christmas was even made to write a thank you letter as well

Sock darning is a bit of a lost art,and done right is unnoticeable I go through the big toes of socks, and throwing out socks that could be repaired does not sit well with me

15 hours ago, Dee Man said:

This reminded me of a guy I used to work with who used his two daughter's Christmas money that they had got from relatives to buy their passports for their following year's family holiday. I can remember being seething about it at the time and wondering how many of the relatives who gave money would have been happy to have known that's how their gifts were used. 

I always buy vouchers or actual presents now just to be on the safe side. 

I’m taking my three kids abroad for the first time in the summer. My mum offered to pay for their passports as their Xmas present. Im going to get her to do it as the birthdays instead. Sometimes more practical things are useful if they’ve got everything they need or want. 

They also got small amount money for xmas and I’m exchanging it to euros for said holiday. 

21 hours ago, dagane said:

:lol: Hope she washed them.

21 hours ago, dagane said:

I hope your uncle wasn't called @throbber

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I had no idea what darning was when I read that first post. It seems like it’s salvaging manky old socks which, if it is that, is an utterly mind-boggling activity that nobody in their right mind would do. 

Was a massively normal thing to do over 40 years ago. It was not a throwaway society back then.