Clyde v QP

an86

Highlights 

First goal is well onside 

You do understand it’s when the ball is passed, not when Goodwillie first got it? At least two feet off, both of them the scorer’s. Our defenders stepped forward beautifully. Too clever for the blindsman obviously. And that rascal of a ref.

The big clubs always get these tight decisions. I’m away for a cup of peppermint tea and two bon-bons to calm the BP.

All the best when it comes!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do understand it’s when the ball is passed, not when Goodwillie first got it? At least two feet off, both of them the scorer’s. Our defenders stepped forward beautifully.

IMG_1927.jpg

This is after the ball has been passed and he is still onside. Or you are at the windup...

43 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You do understand it’s when the ball is passed, not when Goodwillie first got it? At least two feet off, both of them the scorer’s. Our defenders stepped forward beautifully. Too clever for the blindsman obviously. And that rascal of a ref.

The big clubs always get these tight decisions. I’m away for a cup of peppermint tea and two bon-bons to calm the BP.

All the best when it comes!

There's 2 players between the goal and Boyle when goodie passed it which means Boyle is not in an offside position. 

Personally i found the goal an absolute affront on all sides. It sums up our half-season, with too much fannying around. It's going to cost us dearly. 

Even at the second goal, DG makes the wrong decision initially. 

Some fans can never be happy. I remember at both goals someone sat behind me slated Goodwillie for taking too many touches both times yet both ended with a goal. Can we not just learn to support the team when we’re in attacking positions and have some patience. We won 2-0 and Goodwillie played a big part in both goals.

agreed - I was directly in line with the scorer and couldn't see the QP player immediately behind him, and it doesn't even look as if he's behind Hart either. No-one's mentioned it yet, but I thought the initial ball to Goodwillie from Rankin was worthy of plaudits.

Rankin has played passes like that each week to set Goodwillie free on goal and his overall quality has shown. He’s turned into our best player recently after receiving quite a bit of criticism.

Rankin has played passes like that each week to set Goodwillie free on goal and his overall quality has shown. He’s turned into our best player recently after receiving quite a bit of criticism.
And he deserved it at the start of the season The last quarter he has been the John Rankin we thought we signed , he has been excellent and long may it continue

On 24/12/2018 at 19:26, Garrowhillclyde said:

For some reason I thought this game was on boxing day.  How come no boxing day fixtures any more? 

Means I'm stuck with the extended family 2 days in a row now.  

All part of the SEAs plan to punish us for saying no to old firm colts, but not completely heartless a chance to go to any sp l game of our choosing, plus a chance to see Scotland play instead of our diddy teams

3 hours ago, clyde_darren said:

Some fans can never be happy. I remember at both goals someone sat behind me slated Goodwillie for taking too many touches both times yet both ended with a goal. Can we not just learn to support the team when we’re in attacking positions and have some patience. We won 2-0 and Goodwillie played a big part in both goals.

Some of our fans never learn.

Being present IS supporting. Commenting objectively IS supporting. Discussing and showing concern for where the team are, with Peterhead coming up IS supporting. Ignoring these matters because a match was won, is NOT supporting anything other than one's own sense of importance. 

In my opinion.

10 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

In my opinion.

Talking of which Officer, I'm still waiting for you so share your opinion of the precise nature of Goodwillie's faux-pas in the build up to the second goal, so that I (and others?) might benefit from your obviously superior tactical nous and understanding of this beautiful game. Surely unlike you to postulate without providing further clarification?

Quite honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone criticised for how they scored a goal. 

Noticed one of the queen’s fans saying there were plenty defenders back which on seeing the highlights was right, Goodwillie holding the ball up allowed midfield and the right back to come forward. 

First goal miles offside as I thought. Big linesman a useless plank of wood as they all seem to be nowadays, afraid to make a decision. Second one is simply poorly defended. We couldn't complain at the half time score.

As with the Edin City game, we had enough decent chances to sneak a point in the second half.

Bold team selection; didn't quite work.

Pish poor refereeing for both sides. Some crackpot decisions.

Rankin's a wee ned shite who was lucky to stay on the park. Goodwillie captain...FFS. with Thomson donning the armband at Edin City, that's the end of civilisation as we know it.

Back to the studio for further analysis from those tossers Ian Wright and Martin Keown.

On 31/12/2018 at 10:03, The Spider said:

Talking of which Officer, I'm still waiting for you so share your opinion of the precise nature of Goodwillie's faux-pas in the build up to the second goal, so that I (and others?) might benefit from your obviously superior tactical nous and understanding of this beautiful game. Surely unlike you to postulate without providing further clarification?

I felt a quicker ball inside was a better option at the time, he still drew out the defender and Cuddihy supplied great width but i had feared we'd lost momentum. 

Far from criticising the fact we scored, i'm still convinced we need to be quicker from middle to front. This was an excellent example of why that is, certainly not every defender is going to cede the space like your man did on Saturday when Goodwillie, far from goal and with no rapid  emergence into the box from our players, was cunning as a fox. Although other than that move, we had actually sped up our movement the week before at Cliftonhill and continued in spells in Saturday, after we soon realised that it didn't hurt. It's not the type of goal we'll score at Peterhead, for example. 

Occifer (whoops! hic),

Looking at the big picture I can see where you are coming from, but how do you, I or anybody else for that matter know what Goodwillie would have done in that exact same situation against Peterhead or Edinburgh City? Sometimes you just have to play percentages, and had Goodwillie attempted the more difficult pass you were looking for and it had either gone astray or been intercepted, then I suspect you would have heard a lot more than the civilised tutting or rustling of sweetie papers that greet our players in such moments.

You need to walk before you can run, and Clyde are making great progess under Lennon compared to the hoofball proferred by his predecessors, so your seeming impatience for the current team to achieve the standards of the sides you watched as a boy amuses me. Have a good one.

24 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Occifer (whoops! hic),

Looking at the big picture I can see where you are coming from, but how do you, I or anybody else for that matter know what Goodwillie would have done in that exact same situation against Peterhead or Edinburgh City? Sometimes you just have to play percentages, and had Goodwillie attempted the more difficult pass you were looking for and it had either gone astray or been intercepted, then I suspect you would have heard a lot more than the civilised tutting or rustling of sweetie papers that greet our players in such moments.

You need to walk before you can run, and Clyde are making great progess under Lennon compared to the hoofball proferred by his predecessors, so your seeming impatience for the current team to achieve the standards of the sides you watched as a boy amuses me. Have a good one.

Goodwillie's choice was certainly vindicated by the goal, and ideally he'd have also smashed in the first after rounding the 'goalie',  but on the second and played back on the vid, it's far more obvious he was playing on using the overlap. Your centreback helped immensely, too. Even had he not moved though, that ball would likely have slowed down further. Which of course, suits inferior teams. 

Archived