2018 Report Card

.Stuart.

I remember someone starting a thread like this years ago so I thought it’d be an idea to start a new one to distract us from pyramid threads and Herta slagging off folks patter.

So how did your teams do with reality v. expectations?

1. League performance (marks out of 10)

2. Playing personnel (best performing player)

3. Opposing playing personnel (What one player would you take from another club)

4. Greatest result

5. Most disappointing result

6. Scottish cup performance 

7. Other cups

1. We had a good end to last season's league campaign and an excellent start to this one. Wheels have come off slightly in December, but we are still better placed than I had expected or even hoped (9 out of 10)

2. Liam Caddis has been fantastic.

3. I think Graham Wilson is the best striker in the league, but if I could have anyone it would be Peewee Hyslop.

4. Coming back from 3-0 down to beat the current league champions at Bellsdale in October.

5. The five goal capitulation to Talbot earlier this month.

6. Perfect with the exception of two minutes in June.

7. Winning the West for the first time in our history was fantastic, particularly having to beat the best two teams in the country in the semi-final and final within the space of fifty hours.

All in all 2018 was a very successful year, but our report card will always be slightly tarnished with a COULD HAVE DONE BETTER comment.

1. Mid table ( 7/10 )

Performing above our weight but still scope for improvement but club can be happy so far .

2. Eddie Ferns

For me as good as anyone in the junior game. Signing him was an absolute masterstroke and totally transformed our season

3. The big number 4 for Kilsyth Rangers we have been crying out for a big no nonsense right in about them centre half

4. Petershill 1 St Rochs 3 they don't like it when we beat them there years of ruling the roost is coming to an end ,the old order is dying.

5. Rossvale 3 St Rochs 1 nothing worse than losing to our noisy neighbours and even worse when we gifted them a result in a game we had for the taking .

6. Still in it and bus booked for Rugby Park we will take that big a support it will be an all ticket final 🤣

7. League cup disappointing beat peasy then draw against Ashfield which for me was a poor result before losing last game against a street wise but average Rob Roy .

Still in the West and I fancy our chances to progress against Shotts BA into the next round

1. League performance (marks out of 10) This season so far a 9. Losing to 10 man Glenafton and drawing with Troon blotted the copy book

2. Playing personnel (best performing player) Peewee has been outstanding in an outstanding team.

3. Opposing playing personnel (What one player would you take from another club) The boy McAughtrie at Glenafton.

4. Greatest result 2-1 win over Cove amazing atmosphere at Beechwood

5. Most disappointing result 2-1 loss to Darvel

6. Scottish cup performance Still in it to win it

7. Other cups Won the West Sectional, Disposed of the Buffs in the West and if we stay away from the Old Firm we should be at Hampden around May time.

According to DL, Darvel should have pumped every team they've played 7-0, all the other teams are shite, they were going to win the league, the west , the Scottish, the league cup, the Europa League and the champions League, didn't deserve any of their defeats and the league positions lie, so every other c**t is pish basically

0/10 rising to about a 4/10 now

Some of the young boys starting to perform now, Ben Fraser and Aiden McMurray for me

3. Opposing playing personnel (What one player would you take from another club)
Not too well versed in opposition players but the giant centre half at Rossvale impressed me

4. Greatest result
0-1 at Rossvale yesterday

9-2 at you know where

not really

7. Other cups
as answer 6.

5 out of 10 

Ricki hanvey 

we will take a few at end of the season so that will tell u who’s impressed us 

beating talbot 2-1 will live in the memory 

funny enough no a defeat just too many draws 

Scottish was fine beating 2 super league teams and disappointed to go out to Largs in a game that could have went any way 

west wasn’t very good but manager tried things that didn’t work so no big deal 

League - 6/10
Too many points dropped in first two months of season

Stuart McCann - never lets you down

Anderson of KL

Winning a penalty shoot out v Glenafton, no one expected us to score based on how bad we have been at penalties in normal play, so to get 3/3 along with Longmuir saving 3/3 was unbelievable

Hurlford at home - second half we were on top and lost to a mistake

Scottish cup - doing it the hard way, but still in it.

Other cups - embarrassing in the sectional, a slog in the West.

1 .2/10 A lot lower than I thought we’d be. Defo a battle to avoid relegation

2. Davy Anderson ( missed a lot of the season which is partly responsible for the position we are in)

3 Taz at Hurlford

4 No disrespect but probably Budgie leaving

5 GartCairn even though I wasn’t there

6 Embarrassing

7 Still in the West

1.  9. We are top of the league, having played fewer games than most.

2.   Cammy Lawson - for consistency

3.  Big CB who played for Whitletts.

4.  Probably the away draw at Whitletts in Scottish which gave us the belief that we could compete against teams in higher leagues, which we have since proven

5.  Allowing Rossvale off the hook in the home game. We should have beaten them that day.

6. Scottish cup performance - As 4 above

7. Other cups - Beating Blantyre comfortably in WoS

4/10 due to position in league with a new squad.
Hamish McKinlay
Sal who plays up front for Kilsyth or Kyle (no 3) from Dalry
3-1 home win Vs Kilsyth
5-3 loss away to Neilston
Pish
More pish

On 23/12/2018 at 12:59, .Stuart. said:

I remember someone starting a thread like this years ago so I thought it’d be an idea to start a new one to distract us from pyramid threads and Herta slagging off folks patter.

4. Greatest result

7. Other cups

1. 10/10. Winning promotion with a playoff win against Arthurlie to take us back to the top flight after a 2 season absence.  Finishing 2018 in 7th place is fantastic considering how we started the season. After a fantastic promotion campaign, most thought the current team weren’t ready for the top flight especially with our  3 main strikers all out with long term injuries but with Connolly on his way back and Boyd nearly there, things are looking up. 

2. Jared Willet initially stood in at LB for cover towards be end of last season and took to it brilliantly. Now one of the first names the fans look for on the team sheet

3. I wouldn’t change much with out defence right now but have always admired Dean Keenan at Troon.

4. 2-0 win away to Arthurlie to take us back to the premiership. Excellent party held in the social club afterwards. This season, probably the 2-1 win against Hurlford considering they’re top of the league.

5. 7-0 away to Largs, 4-0 away to Cumnock, 5-1 away to Renfrew, these results hopefully won’t be repeated anytime soon.

6. Witnessed our first win away to St Ants in sept but lost to Kilsyth the following round in season 18/19. Did alright in season 17/18, knocked out 2-0 against Lochee Utd who went on the gub Beith in the next round.

7. Still in the West. Started the league cup well. 5-2 against Troon, 7-2 v Craigmark and 4-0 against Irvine Vics but embarrassingly we’re outclassed against Whitletts. Won the Marymass Trophy too.

8/10 loads of games in hand to everyone else will be good to see how Muirkirk end up when caught up with them. In 2018 won more games than the previous 4 years combined

Good squad these days boy Howie, keeper and lad Kenny McVey

Jon McStay at the Gow was good. Paul Burns  of Cumnock

4. Greatest result

beating Cumnock in penalties, I was the happiest man in Cumnock that night. Best performance was v St Anthony’s other week, think the only touches they got was from kick offs after all our goals. Supporters buses have been brilliant on way back from these games

losing on pens to Girvan in the Scottish disappointing as the team played very well 

excellent beat yoker over two games then lost to Girvan on pens, if luck was on our side could be still in if

7. Other cup

still in the West after beating Larkhall 

1. 10/10. Winning promotion with a playoff win against Arthurlie to take us back to the top flight after a 2 season absence.  Finishing 2018 in 7th place is fantastic considering how we started the season. After a fantastic promotion campaign, most thought the current team weren’t ready for the top flight especially with our  3 main strikers all out with long term injuries but with Connolly on his way back and Boyd nearly there, things are looking up.  2. Jared Willet initially stood in at LB for cover towards be end of last season and took to it brilliantly. Now one of the first names the fans look for on the team sheet

3. I wouldn’t change much with out defence right now but have always admired Dean Keenan at Troon.

4. 2-0 win away to Arthurlie to take us back to the premiership. Excellent party held in the social club afterwards. This season, probably the 2-1 win against Hurlford considering they’re top of the league.

5. 7-0 away to Largs, 4-0 away to Cumnock, 5-1 away to Renfrew, these results hopefully won’t be repeated anytime soon.

6. Witnessed our first win away to St Ants in sept but lost to Kilsyth the following round in season 18/19. Did alright in season 17/18, knocked out 2-0 against Lochee Utd who went on the gub Beith in the next round.

7. Still in the West. Started the league cup well. 5-2 against Troon, 7-2 v Craigmark and 4-0 against Irvine Vics but embarrassingly we’re outclassed against Whitletts. Won the Marymass Trophy too.

Agree with most of this. 

I think Callum Gow has been excellent for Meadow in 2018 as well as Jared Willet. I think Shaun Newman one of best and a very under rated young keepers in the 'Juniors'.

Best players in opposition teams: Thomas Collins @ Beith is a stand out any time I have seen Beith always pacy, direct, can beat his man and scores goals. Exactly what you look for in an attacking player. Not played Talbot yet but Shankland is always a player who sticks out in the highlights.

4. Greatest result

7. Other cups

Seeing as it is now 2019 here's my thoughts on an "interesting" 2018 for Renfrew

1. If you're doing this on the whole year then 7 or 8 out of 10, we got promotion to the big league when few (if any) outside of NWP would have put any money on it.

If based on the 18/19 season to date obviously a lot lower, that said, like all 6 promoted clubs probably said too, we'll take 4th bottom come the end of the season and despite a pretty ropey first half of the campaign, yes we're bottom but only 1 point off that holy grail, So overall maybe 4 out of 10 for the season to date.

2. Ryan Borris is starting to come onto the game we'd hoped he'd bring to our midfield but I'd go for Rikki McIntosh, played a variety of roles middle to front, never let anyone down and chipped in with a few goals too.

3. Can't think of just one, too many players have had a field day against us so far!

4. Two spring to mind, both home against Irvine Meadow, first the 5-1 league win against them earlier this season but that gets shaded by the come back from the dead 4-2 win in May that sealed promotion.

5. Two alas spring to mind, the 4-0 loss to Johnstone in the Sectional Cup, no disrespect to Burgh they deserved the win but we simply didn't turn up!

The other was the nightmare in Kirkcaldy a few weeks ago when we lost 2-0 to Thornton and finished with 9 men!

6. Got to last 32 so not too shabby but see Thornton result above!

7. A shade unlucky to lose to Beith in the West but see Johnstone result above!

4. Greatest result

7. Other cups

1. 9/10  League win was outstanding. Few points dropped this season. Games in hand if won will take us close

2. I think we have a few players that are better than the league we are in in. But Jamie Donnelly (Keeper) is a sgood as there is. Lost 9 goals this season. Outstanding

3. Most Impressive this year has been Del Hepburn Clydebank. Played when he was at Pollok, and now at Clydebank. 

4. Beating Tayport away in the Scot Cup 5 - 1. Not very often we have been big odds against, but we were outstanding that day.

5. Only had 2 league defeats in 2018. Losing 2 - 1 to Clydebank away in the sections wqs a hard one as we battered them that night.

6. Last season was good, but lost expectedly to Pollok. This season, Hurlford next... See what happens

7. Unlucky to lose to Clydebank after putting out Pollok. Still in the other 2 main ones with tough ties to come. 

Overall as a 7 year old club. It's been a blast. 

4. Greatest result
7. Other cups

1. We have only lost 5 league matches out of 34 in 2018, winning 23 and drawing 6. So I reckon that's an 8 out of 10.

2. Rhys Donaldson rightly won our Player of the Year in the summer and is a contender again this season along with Del Esplin and Dale Simeon.

3. David Galt at Cambuslang would be a good addition to any squad. But he wouldn't come cheap to any team.

4. Probably the 6-0 away to Benburb a few weeks ago, as they were league leaders at the time. Or the 3-1 away to previously unbeaten Petershill at the start of January.

5. Losing 1-0 to Irvine Meadow at home in May when a win would have guaranteed us a play-off for promotion.

6. Knocked out by Bo'ness at the start of the year, but still in it at the start of this year, so no complaints.

7. Still in the West of Scotland Cup as well, although we kinda shot ourselves in the foot in the Sectional, but we'll forgive them for that blip.

Archived