Queens v Ayr

3 hours ago, queenslad said:

When was the last time Dykes actually took a long throw in. I don't think he did yesterday and not against Dunfermline either. There was a case in dying mins yesterday down the Queens left almost in line with 18 yard line when it looked liked Dykes was going to take a long one as Semple and Fordyce were making their way forward. I don't what happened but Dykes didn't take it and neither centre half went forward. With came posed at 1-1 with less than 5mins to go what would have been harm in launching a long one to edge of  yard box (we didn't win header, Ayr broke, centre halves out of position and we lose a winner)

Dykes took at least 1 long throw up at Alloa last week I'm sure.  With their narrow pitch and longer run up it could be launched well into the penalty box.  Conditions at the Dunfermline game maybe didnt make it ideal with the wind and slippy ball.  The thing is why can't a midfielder take a quick throw rather than slowing things down waiting for Mercer or Marshall to get forward. I also noticed yesterday that the Referee allowed quick free kicks to be taken,  Ayr were switched on enough to try this a couple of times putting our defence under pressure but Queens were very slow in their approach to such things. On another note,  I see that the stats in today's papers show Ayr had 15 shots on target,  I know they outdone us by a fair bit but  can't remember that many. Also show we had 0 corners,  I don't think that's right either. 

Edit to add: I heard the official attendance given out over the PA system but what was the number of visiting  fans in attendance, this is usually given out. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dykes took at least 1 long throw up at Alloa last week I'm sure.  With their narrow pitch and longer run up it could be launched well into the penalty box.  Conditions at the Dunfermline game maybe didnt make it ideal with the wind and slippy ball.  The thing is why can't a midfielder take a quick throw rather than slowing things down waiting for Mercer or Marshall to get forward. I also noticed yesterday that the Referee allowed quick free kicks to be taken,  Ayr were switched on enough to try this a couple of times putting our defence under pressure but Queens were very slow in their approach to such things. On another note,  I see that the stats in today's papers show Ayr had 15 shots on target,  I know they outdone us by a fair bit but  can't remember that many. Also show we had 0 corners,  I don't think that's right either. 
Edit to add: I heard the official attendance given out over the PA system but what was the number of visiting  fans in attendance, this is usually given out. 

Queens didn’t have a corner and the stats were Ayr had 15 shots with 5 on target.

16 hours ago, SueSue said:

I think it was a case of keeping the point we had. At that point I have no problem with risking what you have .

The difference between 1 point and 3, is greater than that between 0 and 1.

Obviously, this is to state the bleedin' obvious, but it's something I'd like our side to show a greater awareness of.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The difference between 1 point and 3, is greater than that between 0 and 1.

Obviously, this is to state the bleedin' obvious, but it's something I'd like our side to show a greater awareness of.

The difference between 0 and 1 is losing.

IMO I would rather not lose given there was less than 5 minutes to go.

Just now, SueSue said:

The difference between 0 and 1 is losing.

IMO I would rather not lose given there was less than 5 minutes to go.

Fair enough.

Bloody weird to ignore the numbers in a league table though. 

Not losing has value if you're playing a team alongside you in the table.  Denying them three points is obviously significant.  That value is much diminished however, if your opponent is already miles ahead.

I'd much rather a rollercoaster 'win some; lose some' run, than an unbeaten one that contains loads of draws, because the first kind would net us more points.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.

Bloody weird to ignore the numbers in a league table though. 

Not losing has value if you're playing a team alongside you in the table.  Denying them three points is obviously significant.  That value is much diminished however, if your opponent is already miles ahead.

I'd much rather a rollercoaster 'win some; lose some' run, than an unbeaten one that contains loads of draws, because the first kind would net us more points.

I totally agree Monkey but in this instance, which we were discussing keeping the point was important.

I also agree that GN seems to have got in to the mode of not losing rather than risking a win.

There is no doubt we are now hard to beat but it’s now time to come up with a cunning plan to make us more dangerous going forward.

I still think consider we are skint we are doing better than many thought we would.

15 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I totally agree Monkey but in this instance, which we were discussing keeping the point was important.

I also agree that GN seems to have got in to the mode of not losing rather than risking a win.

There is no doubt we are now hard to beat but it’s now time to come up with a cunning plan to make us more dangerous going forward.

I still think consider we are skint we are doing better than many thought we would.

Ok, but I'd say that in this particular instance, the point didn't really do us much good and was worth risking.  An argument can be constructed to say a point at ICT would be decent because we'd be denying a direct rival for 4th spot, all three.

I think we're probably doing ok for our resources too, but our opponents last Saturday are proving that ok needn't be the height of our ambitions.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok, but I'd say that in this particular instance, the point didn't really do us much good and was worth risking.  An argument can be constructed to say a point at ICT would be decent because we'd be denying a direct rival for 4th spot, all three.

I think we're probably doing ok for our resources too, but our opponents last Saturday are proving that ok needn't be the height of our ambitions.

Again I agree.

we certainly lack a holding midfield player who actually gets on the ball. Takes it off the CBs and makes us play on the floor.

Jacobs is a grafter, breaking up play. I hope Low is a ball player. 

Todd is a ball player but we need a couple more.

I am actually looking forward to seeing who comes in over the next week or so.

Archived