Queens v Ayr

The noises are a very direct result of the topic receiving more attention from stupid pundits in the top flight. 
We've had a synthetic surface for a few years now.  There's always been a degree of grumbling, but the current crescendo reflects mindless parroting of received drivel, more than anything else.
My noise is as a result of not living in the country, going to Palmerston for the first time since grass and looking at a terrible pitch before the game had even started.
But you've perhaps highlighted a problem with teams having synthetic pitches; the cost of laying them and the subsequent upkeep maybe can't keep up with the degradation, and speed of improving models.
By the way I'm not saying synthetic pitches are inherently a bad thing - Palmerston just needs replaced.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

My noise is as a result of not living in the country, going to Palmerston for the first time since grass and looking at a terrible pitch before the game had even started.
But you've perhaps highlighted a problem with teams having synthetic pitches; the cost of laying them and the subsequent upkeep maybe can't keep up with the degradation, and speed of improving models.
By the way I'm not saying synthetic pitches are inherently a bad thing - Palmerston just needs replaced.

^^ pitch whisperer

On another note, how absolutely classless was it of, what I expect was a small minority of Ayr fans, singing “die in your sleep Stephen Dobbie”. Disgusting

As much as some Ayr fans can be morons never heard this.

As for yesterday, although we didn’t create a lot of clear cut chances it was an improvement on last week away to Dunfermline. Positives for me where Doc getting 90 and doing well and despite the refs best efforts thought the players kept their heads when dealing with some dodgy decisions. Negatives were aforementioned lack of clear cut chances, the pitch and the time wasting antics of the keeper and at QOTS throw ins. Anyway what a time to be an Ayr fan

I'm a bit surprised Marshall isn't getting some stick for the goal we conceded.  You put a man on the post to stop chances such as that.  The ball went in just over his head,  not high into the net,  he didn't even jump to try and stop it.* 

As for the praise Todd is getting,  he put in a good shift but doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders if/when he gets past them.  Several times he went past an opponent but had to turn and pass back because the defender got goal side if him again.**

Queens seem content to play in a plodding,  lethargic style,  depending on the defence to remain solid whilst feeding Dobbie and Dykes with scraps to try and score.*** 

* I'd say that's very harsh on Marshall. Moffat was about 3 yards out. I'm not sure Marshall could have reacted any quicker and he does actually jump but the ball is almost past him by that point. I don't blame Marshall, I have a bigger issue that an attacker has been allowed a free header 3 yards out when there are 3 QoS players doing nothing nearby.

** Todd turned back a couple of times because, similar to our throw-ins, absolutely no one was showing. He at least had the sense to turn back rather than boot the ball forward. In the second half Todd actually went apeshit at one point screaming for forward players to show.

*** I certainly don't disagree that our performances are how you describe but even so, both Dykes and Dobbs had a great chance each yesterday. Both should have at least made the 'keeper work but neither did. Dobbie has a bit of an excuse in that there were defenders nearby but Dykes really has to be scoring that given he even had the time to adjust his body.

Thankfully I missed the Dunfermline game which seems to have been awful but must say the last 2 Home games I have been to - Partick and Ayr - have been a very poor standard compared to previous years.

I mean this in general not just in terms of QOS.   The quality of player and standard of play is becoming more difficult to watch.

In terms of our performance yesterday, I would have taken a point before the game as Ayr are well capable of giving anyone ' a doing '  but so far haven't managed it against us.

I have liked Todd since he joined and he seems to be growing in confidence and was way above anyone else for us yesterday.

Martin still looks suspect fitness wise but made a couple of good saves.

I think Mercer is improving too. Felt a bit sorry for him as he kept getting ball played to him when an opposition player was closing him down, putting him under immediate pressure resulting in a hurried clearance and/or loss of possession which was not of his making.   We did this repeatedly yesterday with various players involved - we did not seem to cope well with Ayr's pressing.

Fordyce is not the solid player he was when he first arrived and gets caught out frequently, Semple solid as usual.

When we have enough mid-fielders available Doyle and Semple - if still here - should be our pairing in defence but I doubt Naysmith will do this as he couldn't wait to get Fordyce back in after he returned from injury.

I know he was out of position but I thought Doyle, uncharacteristically, was sluggish and way off the pace yesterday.  I know he took a knock in 2nd half but perhaps he was carrying a knock going into the game.

If some Club, any Club wants to pay money for Dykes let's take it right away.

I thought he was more lively against Partick but he was back  to normal yesterday,

For someone so tall and who thinks he is a bit of a tough guy he is far too easily bullied by defenders and knocked off the ball.    He hardly won anything in the air and did not hold the ball up well at all.

I suspect this is more mental than physical as he is fit, but he doesn't seem to anticipate things or see things early as the likes of Dobbie and Lyle are capable of - he doesn't have a natural strikers instinct.  

Perhaps it's this that makes him appear lazy and second best.

A draw at home  to Ayr is not disastrous, nor will it be to Ross County but we have drawn far too many games, especially at home, which if it continues will prevent a top four finish.

I don't think we are good enough for that anyway although this Division is so tight and riddled with inconsistency this season that anyone putting a half decent run together could make it.

As usual  we will probably be in the mix  for 4th  along with  Inverness, Morton and Dunfermline.

Unless of course, Harkins inspires Partick to a 2nd half revival !

Then again, with Caldwell at the helm that is not going to happen.

I don't know what they were thinking about appointing him, I  feel really for sorry for the Thistle fans as they deserve better.

Cammy - reading your match synopsis and finding myself agreeing with every point leads me to only one conclusion ..........you have finally realised that GN’s negativity is not only seriously negating our potential but is also very tough viewing.

Yes and no. A lot of the criticism levelled at Naysmith was on show yesterday for sure. We settled for a point after about an hour. I still don’t agree in the main however that he is an overly negative manager, we’ve played some lovely stuff under him as well.

There were mitigating circumstances yesterday with an unfit Dobbie and a shortage of players in the squad. Not to mention the quality of our opponents.

Without wanting to state the obvious, but you clearly don't watch us every week. 
Why would any Ayr fan be seething after yesterday. Probably should have won the game, but we easily could have lost it. Indeed in seasons gone by we probably would have lost this game. Sitting second in the league, within striking distance of the leaders, on an unbeaten run that goes back to October and looking good for at least a play-off spot. All this in a season where we were expected to be struggling to stay up. 
Reasons to be seething right enough.

The reason to be seething is that you won’t be sitting second for very long if you don’t kill of teams playing as poorly as we did yesterday.

I understand you’re having a season beyond your wildest dreams, but that has raised expectations. I bet McCall was seething to have only taken a point yesterday.

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Unless of course, Harkins inspires Partick to a 2nd half revival !

Then again, with Caldwell at the helm that is not going to happen.

I don't know what they were thinking about appointing him, I  feel really for sorry for the Thistle fans as they deserve better.

Couldn't  really give a feck about Partick Thistle,  Falkirk or anybody else that's struggling except if it gives Queens a better chance of surviving I'm this division. 

52 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

* I'd say that's very harsh on Marshall. Moffat was about 3 yards out. I'm not sure Marshall could have reacted any quicker and he does actually jump but the ball is almost past him by that point. I don't blame Marshall, I have a bigger issue that an attacker has been allowed a free header 3 yards out when there are 3 QoS players doing nothing nearby.

** Todd turned back a couple of times because, similar to our throw-ins, absolutely no one was showing. He at least had the sense to turn back rather than boot the ball forward. In the second half Todd actually went apeshit at one point screaming for forward players to show.

*** I certainly don't disagree that our performances are how you describe but even so, both Dykes and Dobbs had a great chance each yesterday. Both should have at least made the 'keeper work but neither did. Dobbie has a bit of an excuse in that there were defenders nearby but Dykes really has to be scoring that given he even had the time to adjust his body.

I appreciate that Moffat' s header came from close in and Marshall maybe didn't have time to react but from my view behind the goals it looked like he could have made a bit if an effort to jump for it.  

If Todd gets past defenders and had the pace he should be making for the by-line or into the box,  not always looking for someone to pass to or turning back.  He doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm a bit surprised Marshall isn't getting some stick for the goal we conceded.  You put a man on the post to stop chances such as that.  The ball went in just over his head,  not high into the net,  he didn't even jump to try and stop it.  

As for the praise Todd is getting,  he put in a good shift but doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders if/when he gets past them.  Several times he went past an opponent but had to turn and pass back because the defender got goal side if him again.  A cracking goal he scored anyway after good work by Stirling.  

Agree that Doyle didn't have the best of games either in the middle or out wide,  I would much rather see him partnering Semple at the back with Fordyce or Mercer at RB. 

It must be frustrating for Dobbie and Dykes playing up front with the tactics that Naysmith employs,  several times yesterday I noticed them urging the midfield to push up and support a bit more. There are times when the opposition dictates you sit a bit deep but that shouldn't stop you pushing up a bit when you have the chance.  It's getting very hard to go and watch the Queens displays under Naysmith, I can understand why more aren't bothering.

Ayr,  Alloa,  Morton are examples of teams who seem  to have players capable of playing at a high tempo and pressing opponents high up the park,  Queens seem content to play in a plodding,  lethargic style,  depending on the defence to remain solid whilst feeding Dobbie and Dykes with scraps to try and score. 

Really good post Fae.

looking at the goal conceded it was Doyle’s man who scored.

Doyle was marking him. He went to head the corner whilst his man stood still. When the ball came back Doyle was off his man and he had a free header. 

Not down to Marshall at all.

20 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Really good post Fae.

looking at the goal conceded it was Doyle’s man who scored.

Doyle was marking him. He went to head the corner whilst his man stood still. When the ball came back Doyle was off his man and he had a free header. 

Not down to Marshall at all.

No one comes out of that well.  Mercer gets caught under the ball and ends up in no mans land when it falls to Moffat. Doyle leaves Moffat then completely misses his header. Semple completely loses his man who gets the initial touch and Marshall doesnt make a great attempt to clear on the line

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No one comes out of that well.  Mercer gets caught under the ball and ends up in no mans land when it falls to Moffat. Doyle leaves Moffat then completely misses his header. Semple completely loses his man who gets the initial touch and Marshall doesnt make a great attempt to clear on the line

number 15 who gets the touch back across is Dykes man. Number 5 is Semple man who is no where near the action.

so, Mercer misses a header, Dykes loses his man, Doyle loses Moffat and Marshall can’t make himself 7ft tall at the near post.

Happy New Year Mr X, will catch up soon pal

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

number 15 who gets the touch back across is Dykes man. Number 5 is Semple man who is no where near the action.

so, Mercer misses a header, Dykes loses his man, Doyle loses Moffat and Marshall can’t make himself 7ft tall at the near post.

Happy New Year Mr X, will catch up soon pal

You're right, it is Dykes who loses his man. Semple gets taken under the ball by number 5.

Marshall doesnt need to be 7ft tall, he gets his head on the ball. He's probably the least culpable though

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You're right, it is Dykes who loses his man. Semple gets taken under the ball by number 5.

Marshall doesnt need to be 7ft tall, he gets his head on the ball. He's probably the least culpable though

If Marshall's  hair had been sticking up on end the ball would have flattened it, that to me looked how close to him it was. He  just needed to jump about 9 inches and it would have smacked him in the face. Anyway it appears to have been a string of missed headers in the lead up to Moffat getting his header in, I've not seen any replays yet. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If Marshall's  hair had been sticking up on end the ball would have flattened it, that to me looked how close to him it was. He  just needed to jump about 9 inches and it would have smacked him in the face. Anyway it appears to have been a string of missed headers in the lead up to Moffat getting his header in, I've not seen any replays yet. 

+

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

That actually makes it look closer to Marshall than I 1st thought,  the ball actually looks like it takes a slight upwards deflection off his head. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as it came from such a close distance and with pace.  

16 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Re throw-ins, it's not as if this game  was an exceptional one for the length of time we took at throw-ins, it's the same at every game we play.  We  very rarely take quick throw-ins, we wait for the fullbacks to jog up to take the throws, the opposition has time to get back and cover then no-one makes themselves available for the throw. Sometimes Dykes tries a long throw but it's mainly Mercer or Marshall trying to play it to someone about 2 yards away and we very often lose possession.   

When was the last time Dykes actually took a long throw in. I don't think he did yesterday and not against Dunfermline either. There was a case in dying mins yesterday down the Queens left almost in line with 18 yard line when it looked liked Dykes was going to take a long one as Semple and Fordyce were making their way forward. I don't what happened but Dykes didn't take it and neither centre half went forward. With came posed at 1-1 with less than 5mins to go what would have been harm in launching a long one to edge of  yard box (we didn't win header, Ayr broke, centre halves out of position and we lose a winner)

11 minutes ago, queenslad said:

When was the last time Dykes actually took a long throw in. I don't think he did yesterday and not against Dunfermline either. There was a case in dying mins yesterday down the Queens left almost in line with 18 yard line when it looked liked Dykes was going to take a long one as Semple and Fordyce were making their way forward. I don't what happened but Dykes didn't take it and neither centre half went forward. With came posed at 1-1 with less than 5mins to go what would have been harm in launching a long one to edge of  yard box (we didn't win header, Ayr broke, centre halves out of position and we lose a winner)

I think it was a case of keeping the point we had. At that point I have no problem with risking what you have .

Archived