Queens v Ayr

Ayr had more possession but done nothing with it. While we were quieter, we missed 2 clear cut chances and went close with a free-kick.

Doyle offers no threat on the wing, however I see why he’s used there for defensive cover. IMO, should’ve been Mercer brought off for Frizzell, and Doyle RB with Frizzell RW.

On another note, how absolutely classless was it of, what I expect was a small minority of Ayr fans, singing “die in your sleep Stephen Dobbie”. Disgusting

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a point from today's game, Ayr played the better football, but Dobbie & Dykes missed the best opportunities to score and had Murrays free kick at the end been inside the post the goalie was beaten. Once again young Semple kept Shankland very quiet and he is yet to score in 3 games this season v Queens.

Hopefully Nicky Low can add quality to the Queens midfield and the manager gets to bring in at least another 2/3 players as well as keeping Semple till end of season.

Queens need to be competeing in the promotion play offs rather than the relegation play offs in the centenary year... 

A lack of quality in the wide areas is really hurting us, particularly with Kerr and Forrest missing.  That said, i don’t think we can be too hard on the team given that we are missing a few midfield options.  Add to that a a dreadful playing surface and a Queens team that, oddly, were happy to timewaste and park the bus and it was always likely to be a frustrating afternoon.  
Big bonus for me was Docherty.  Was beginning to think he might be finished given McCalls reluctance to play him,, but I thought he showed up well given it was his first 90 minutes for a year.

Doc was outstanding given it’s his first 90 minutes. If he keeps that up he’ll be well worth a new contract.

For me the priority is a wide player that can create chances. Whether that’s Armstrong or Cardle (both looking unlikely now) I’m not really bothered but Crawford really isn’t suited to playing wide and McDaid is poor on the right hand side.

I thought the linesman had awarded it, the ref went along with it then changed his mind. Absolutely hopeless when the ref and linesman can’t communicate properly.

His flag never went up certainly. Though a lot of the time now linesmen appear to communicate via the headset before raising a flag!

Ayr had more possession but done nothing with it. While we were quieter, we missed 2 clear cut chances and went close with a free-kick.

Doyle offers no threat on the wing, however I see why he’s used there for defensive cover. IMO, should’ve been Mercer brought off for Frizzell, and Doyle RB with Frizzell RW.

On another note, how absolutely classless was it of, what I expect was a small minority of Ayr fans, singing “die in your sleep Stephen Dobbie”. Disgusting

I thought Doyle was our worst player today and the only reason he stayed on was to cover Mercer. Thankfully he was moved from CM early in the second half when Murdoch was starting to take the midfield by the scruff of the neck. If he hadn't changed that I think Ayr would have eventually cut us open.

I never heard those chants. Plenty of other ones with Dobbie's name but nothing of that manner. Pretty shocking if they did indeed sing that.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doc was outstanding given it’s his first 90 minutes. If he keeps that up he’ll be well worth a new contract.

For me the priority is a wide player that can create chances. Whether that’s Armstrong or Cardle (both looking unlikely now) I’m not really bothered but Crawford really isn’t suited to playing wide and McDaid is poor on the right hand side.

McDaid flatters to deceive for me.  Can’t fault his work rate but I really can’t think of any end product today.  Crawford looks a different player played more centrally, but he just doesn’t cut it pushed wide.

I thought Doyle was our worst player today and the only reason he stayed on was to cover Mercer. Thankfully he was moved from CM early in the second half when Murdoch was starting to take the midfield by the scruff of the neck. If he hadn't changed that I think Ayr would have eventually cut us open.  
I never heard those chants. Plenty of other ones with Dobbie's name but nothing of that manner. Pretty shocking if they did indeed sing that.

I did hear it where I was sitting. There’s no need for that at all, call him a w****r all day long (it’s ultimately a back-handed compliment) but anything wishing that on someone is totally disgusting.

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

On another note I thought the ref made some questionable calls for both sides today. On more than one occasion he gave a free-kick when no one had even claimed for it. The best one of the game was in the first half when he awarded a throw-in that the linesman hadn't flagged for. It resulted in the drop ball as he well and truly ballsed it up. I looked at the linesman who was shaking his head angrily at the decision emoji38.png

My favourite was the screamingly obvious corner he didn't award Ayr in the first half.

Also, I think we definitely need a new centre half! I don't think this will be popular, but Bell cant cut it at this level, there were 3/4 times he got under the ball, slipped or fell allowing Queen of the South in. A more clinical team would have punished us. 

Mercer was awful. Doyle not much better, but Merce was barely a 4/10.

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm not sure how to feel about today. I guess its definitely 2 points dropped.

Why were Queen of the South timewasting at every goal kick or throw in? Especially when the game was in the balance at 1-1. :blink:

We weren't time wasting. It was just that none of our players wanted the ball all game.

Mercer was awful. Doyle not much better, but Merce was barely a 4/10.
I'd say it's harsh to mark him "awful". I don't think any defender put in an awful shift. The defence hardly gave a dangerous Ayr side a sniff today. And the only time they broke through was at Marshall's side. The defence/defending was the best thing about today's performance for us.

1 minute ago, QoS_1919 said:

We weren't time wasting. It was just that none of our players wanted the ball all game.

That maybe explains the throw ins.

However, that's not really an excuse for goal kicks is it? Martin was clearly timewasting which is strange when a game is poised. I could understand it if you were leading but tactically when the game can go either way it is just a bit odd.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can recall Moffat having a one on one but that aside.

My MOTM was Todd as he was the only player who looked interested in going forward.

From where I was it looked like Moffat was trying to play that across to Crawford rather than taking a shot, would certainly explain why he took so long over it. Did it look like a shot from your angle?

Completely agree about Todd, it was the same at Alloa last week. The only player with the desire and ability to create from midfield.

I was actually disappointed at the HT tactical change - Todd to the middle, Doyle to the right and Stirling to the left. It felt like a typically defensively minded change from Naysmith.

Aye possession wise Ayr should've won, but a sharp Stephen Dobbie would have finished that 1 on 1 and Connor Murray's freekick was awfy close. Ayr would have been devastated if either had gone in, Queens would have held their hands up if Ayr had won. 

I felt we were the better team today but QOS defended very well and kept Shanks very quiet in front of goal. On chances created I reluctantly have to admit a draw was fair.
As for the we should beat this team crap. Really? This league is so tight anyone can beat anyone, so a point away from home is not a disaster.

That maybe explains the throw ins.
However, that's not really an excuse for goal kicks is it? Martin was clearly timewasting which is strange when a game is poised. I could understand it if you were leading but tactically when the game can go either way it is just a bit odd.
That was my take on the throw-ins. No one made space. I commented about Martin's timewasting early on in the first half. I'm not sure if he's deciding to do it or if he's been instructed. Either way it's utterly embarrassing that we're taking our time at goal kicks at home when we're drawing.

43 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Hard to argue with that tbh. It was certainly a minority and a total embarrassment to our great support. 

I applauded Dobbie in the first game as it was a masterclass from a maestro. Just glad there wasn't a repeat of that performance today.

I'm loving the pseudo rage from QoS fans at our 'arrogance' for expecting to win! I wonder what they'd be saying if our league positions were reversed? 

Also, most of then were lamenting how bad they've been playing of late and down playing their teams chances. Is it not then a little hypocritical to get on your high horse with us for being dissapointed to draw?

Archived