Rovers v East Fife - Christmas spectacular

Having seen the highlights, I'd be livid if that handball wasn't given for us. But in a way it's based on a clear misunderstanding of what "intentional" handball is.

Agreed. There’s no way that your defender intended to handle the ball, but at the same time, the ball hitting his hand stopped it from going across the face of goal to Nisbet or Buchanan.

Personally I think that should be a penalty but with no booking for the defender.
That’s not what the (ambiguous) rules state though.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Agreed. There’s no way that your defender intended to handle the ball, but at the same time, the ball hitting his hand stopped it from going across the face of goal to Nisbet or Buchanan.

Personally I think that should be a penalty but with no booking for the defender.
That’s not what the (ambiguous) rules state though.

"stopped it from going across the face of the goal to Nisbet or Buchanan"  or into the arms of the goalkeeper? Don't think a player should be penalised for the ball being hammered against him from close range and his arm being by his side but then we all want them given for our teams.

It would have been ironic if a penalty had been given giving you guys a draw which was exactly the same scenario earlier at Starks when you equalised with a penalty hitting Dunlops arm and interpreted differently from the referee on that day. Swings and roundabouts maybe.

Think we would have been hard done by if a penalty had been given there, it was fired at him and his arms were down by his side and not in an "unnatural position", actually as hard done by as we felt after the first game at Starks!!!

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

Didn't see anything special about Armstrong at all, although  that might have been down to us keeping him quiet. I thought Raith's only threat came through Vaughan...

You wouldn’t as that was one of his poorest performances in a Rovers jersey and East Fife can’t take credit for that due to the amount of times he got pass the full back only for him to be greedy and fail to pass the ball to a team mate I could easily have counted 6 times easy. Didn’t think Vaughan did really much either to be honest but it’s always a matter of opinion.

A few East Fife players I have been impressed with is Agnew, Currie and the pick of the bunch Dunsmore

A few East Fife players I have been impressed with is Agnew, Currie, the only King Kev that is Smith and the pick of the bunch Dunsmore

Well he did set up your goal at Bayview as well to be fair!!!

Archived