C***s in restaurants

Romeo

Was on a stag do about half of the folk I knew. One of the ones I didn't at the end of the meal started asking all these questions about the coffee they were offerering - what kind of beans, how were they roasted, what pressure did their machine operate and all that, because he 'doesn't like bad coffee' before opting not to have one after all. Wanted to chuck him in the sea, waiter is just after a yes please/no thanks.

I hope someone teabagged the b*****d later on in the evening.

I’m voting for people who snap their fingers at waiters/waitresses, despicable behaviour.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, milton75 said:

Drivel. A searingly hot pan will caramalise more than enough fat in the short time a nice rib-eye will be in it for medium rare to get that flavour. Serving it like that will have the added benefit of not ruining the actual meat, which your well-done calamity brings to the table.

Sadly , ye dinna  ken fit ye ar spikin aboot, if you have had a caramelised steak , you would be aware that is really quite well done 

8 hours ago, milton75 said:

Drivel. A searingly hot pan will caramalise more than enough fat in the short time a nice rib-eye will be in it for medium rare to get that flavour. Serving it like that will have the added benefit of not ruining the actual meat, which your well-done calamity brings to the table.

Correct

4 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Sadly , ye dinna  ken fit ye ar spikin aboot, if you have had a caramelised steak , you would be aware that is really quite well done 

Pish

8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

At times, I'm not happy when I go out with the inlaws. Partner & myself normally tip 10% minimum, but my brother-in-law doesn't seem to feel it's appropriate to tip at all.

Wtf do you do in that situation? Family meal of approx £30 per head (they don't drink much) , so total bill of around £240 before tip. Normally, three of us are paying, so I would suggest £90 each. We end up leaving  around £250. I feel tht's unacceptable.

Thoughts?

Worked briefly in a hotel and was surprised to see how few people tipped. I'd have been delighted with a tenner.  

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Worked briefly in a hotel and was surprised to see how few people tipped. I'd have been delighted with a tenner.  

When though? Its far more common now. I would also check with the waiter if they get the tips and if they say they don't hand them the cash rather than lump it in with the whole bill.

1 minute ago, Adam101 said:

When though? Its far more common now. I would also check with the waiter if they get the tips and if they say they don't hand them the cash rather than lump it in with the whole bill.

Couple of years ago. Maybe I was too bolshie with the customers.  I always leave the tip in cash.

16 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Really so wrong.
If you do the following:
1) heat your pan correctly - full burn for at least a few mins
2) use a decent pan (my personal preference is a flat-bottomed cast iron one)
3) let the meat sit and come up to room temperature before cooking

then the meat will caramelise instantly on contact with the pan. As long as the pan is hot enough it doesn't matter if you use the "flip once" or "regular flips" methods. The steak will be seared on the outside yet lovely and rare in the middle.

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

Really so wrong.
If you do the following:

then the meat will caramelise instantly on contact with the pan. As long as the pan is hot enough it doesn't matter if you use the "flip once" or "regular flips" methods. The steak will be seared on the outside yet lovely and rare in the middle.

Correct.

3 hours ago, milton75 said:

Really so wrong.
If you do the following:

Spot on

Plus important to let the steaks rest after cooking . Even if cooked rare , they then shouldn’t bleed when cut 

4 hours ago, milton75 said:

Really so wrong.
If you do the following:

You see , that is the nub of the problem , you deciding what is best for me , now that is the sign of the Cnut on the loose , 

it it works this way , i’m Paying for it , so i’ll Request it done the way I prefer 

nae doot, you will also be the sort to tell me what to put in my dram , what is permissible and what isn’t , even in my own house once the dram is offered , it is up to the drinker to choose how he takes it , with ice , water , even coke , or just neat, that is the choice. , there is no right or wrong way in these sort of things.

a very valuable lesson taught me by my now departed old boy , “ Never water another man’s Whisky”, that pretty much applies across the board , it’s a good life lesson on tolerance. 

not tipping , or getting arsey about the coffee machine , Cnut , A1 , 

understanding how you own taste / preference works , and not imposing it on others , decent responsible member of society 

2 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

You see , that is the nub of the problem , you deciding what is best for me , now that is the sign of the Cnut on the loose , 

it it works this way , i’m Paying for it , so i’ll Request it done the way I prefer 

nae doot, you will also be the sort to tell me what to put in my dram , what is permissible and what isn’t , even in my own house once the dram is offered , it is up to the drinker to choose how he takes it , with ice , water , even coke , or just neat, that is the choice. , there is no right or wrong way in these sort of things.

a very valuable lesson taught me by my now departed old boy , “ Never water another man’s Whisky”

understanding how you own taste / preference works , and not imposing it on others , decent responsible member of society 

^^^ doot...dram...cùnt!

4 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

a very valuable lesson taught me by my now departed old boy , “ Never water another man’s Whisky”, that pretty much applies across the board , it’s a good life lesson on tolerance. 

Sit down you rambling tit.

Who is forcing you to do any of the things you mentioned? Who is imposing their preferences on anyone?

Don't tip via card. Especially in a hotel, the waiter or waitress will get f**k all of it, give them cash if they deserve it.

Also, I never tip for anything except great service, which in Germany never happens. The order is always fucking wrong, or late, or met with disdain. If you can't be polite taking an order, f**k off. I'm always polite to service staff having been one for a while, it should be excepted to receive it.

Archived