C***s in restaurants

Romeo

23 minutes ago, nsr said:

Where had the mum gone exactly?

You should put on a Jimmy Saville mask. Then she'd have moved them on.

Back to her seat on the other side of the restaurant.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Ffs M9, I had completely assumed you were a virgin. Sorry bout that.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Ffs M9, I had completely assumed you were a virgin. Sorry bout that.

He is m8. He is.

I concur.

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

In my day, I was lucky if I ate in a restaurant two or three times a year. For my kids it was probably once a month, my grandson probably eats out once a week. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt?

I'm not very sure if we even ate out that often, but it was certainly a rare occurrence.

We were out a couple of times last year for family birthdays and the age range was 6 months to nearly 70. We took over a part of the restaurant where nobody had to go past us to get to their table, so we weren't in the way in that respect, and as I remember it the wee ones were fairly well behaved although the two year old tried to escape a couple of times. However, her parents dealt with that while the rest of us gave a running commentary on what she was up to.

2 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

The thing about kids in restaurants is where I imagine I will have big arguments with my girlfriend about with our daughter.  I am very much of the opinion that everyone should get peace to eat and your kids should sit and eat.  Ok they may not be quiet but don't have them running around annoying people at other tables, getting in the way of waiters etc.

I was out for lunch a few months ago and had to sit at the higher tables/bar area seats as the main restaurant was busy.  There was a tv on the wall for football etc.  This mum appeared with two wee brats, one boy and one girl, and asked the guy at the bar to put cartoons on.  She then fucked off.

The kids started arguing as they sat behind me and then started spitting on each other using their straws.  This escalated to properly spitting at each other to the point where flecks of saliva were landing on my table.  I asked the bar man to move them along, get the parents, turn the TV off etc.   He refused to get involved so I told the wee guy to go get his mum for me.  The wee idiot did so and when the mum appeared I showed her the spit on the table, explained what had happened and asked for it to stop.

The mum said there is no way they would be spitting at each other, told me I was lying and walked away leaving the kids next to me still in front of the TV.    I was absolutely raging but what can you do? (other than kick the mother/kids in the pie).

That's an extreme example and clearly very poor parenting. 

But as a more general point, very young kids (say under 3) simply cannot be fully controlled.  They will get up and run around if you spend a few seconds to cut up some food and put it in your mouth.  If that happens, the parents do need to get up and bring them back so they don't disrupt other diners (or at least minimise the disruption).  Parents should be able to stop older kids (say 5+) from running about in the first place, most of the time.

As a parent with 2 young kids, I'm not going to stop going to restaurants just because they might cause a brief, minor disruption for others in the restaurant.  I'll do my best to stop them but I can't guarantee they'll be perfectly behaved.  They're certainly a lot better behaved than large groups of young men / middle aged women usually are.

Slightly off topic from the tipping debacle, but the c***s in restaurants that annoy me are chefs that advertise steak pie on a menu, but when it arrives, it’s just stew with a perfectly square piece of puff pastry on top [emoji849]

Best part of a steak pie is the chewy bit between the steak and crusty pastry. [emoji39]

Slightly off topic from the tipping debacle, but the c***s in restaurants that annoy me are chefs that advertise steak pie on a menu, but when it arrives, it’s just stew with a perfectly square piece of puff pastry on top [emoji849]

Best part of a steak pie is the chewy bit between the steak and crusty pastry. [emoji39]
Damn right.

7 hours ago, #tedstriker said:

Slightly off topic from the tipping debacle, but the c***s in restaurants that annoy me are chefs that advertise steak pie on a menu, but when it arrives, it’s just stew with a perfectly square piece of puff pastry on top emoji849.png

Best part of a steak pie is the chewy bit between the steak and crusty pastry. emoji39.png

100% this.

I live in the NE of England and my local Tesco was selling proper Scottish steak pies for New Year.  Never seen them down here before.

Archived