C***s in restaurants

Romeo

People saying they dont tip if its shite service they get in a restaurant, i honestly cannot remember ever having shite enough service not to leave a tip, sure if its busy the staff might not pay you full blown attention, but i honestly cant think of a time where the staff have been utter c***s etc 

I tend to find in indian restaurants the staff are fantastic, quite often ive had an extra few poppadoms or another bowl of spiced onions stuck down just because we had either spiced onions or poppadoms left over, yeah i know im paying a good price anyway for the grub but i already know that, so a freebie is always very appreciated and a generous tip is hardly gonna kill me

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People saying they dont tip if its shite service they get in a restaurant, i honestly cannot remember ever having shite enough service not to leave a tip, sure if its busy the staff might not pay you full blown attention, but i honestly cant think of a time where the staff have been utter c***s etc  I tend to find in indian restaurants the staff are fantastic, quite often ive had an extra few poppadoms or another bowl of spiced onions stuck down just because we had either spiced onions or poppadoms left over, yeah i know im paying a good price anyway for the grub but i already know that, so a freebie is always very appreciated and a generous tip is hardly gonna kill me

There was a time, admittedly this was in Italy and a tourist trap, we didn’t pay a tip.

We just had 2 beers and my wife had a Diet Coke then a white wine. When we ordered the wine, it came in a 175ml bottle and my wife did not get a new glass from her coke to drink it out of.

When we went to pay they brought us our bill it was just a sheet of paper that said 30euros on it. The menu we’d ordered off has prices on it so we knew this was high. We asked for an itemised bill, which was met with disgust.

The bill returned itemised now totalling 28 euros but that included a 25% service charge.

Safe to say they were absolutely at it and we did not pay the service charge.

I visited Rome with a group of friends years ago, one of whom was half Italian and spoke it fluently. The number of times he would send a bill back was incredible. Apparently many places have "local" prices and "tourist " prices; he would reject the latter and insist on the former. Once they realised he was part Italian there was never an issue.

The bigger issue was his refusal to leave a decent tip. He would throw a few Euros down and claimed the waiters would be insulted if we left more!

How complicated to people need to make having a meal out - strategising how to streamline the ordering process; stressing over wether 5/10 or 12.5% tip is acceptanle; deciding a formula for splitting the bill and so on.

FFS, enjoy the occasion and don't be a restaurant c*nt!

Was in  restaurant in Toronto a number of years ago and while it was fairly expensive the service was not the greatest and to be fair neither was the food.  When the bill came the waiter explained that it was customary to leave 20-25% as a tip.   At this point I noticed that there was already a 20% service charge added to the bill and asked him if he expected me to pay this as well as a tip.

Was in Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville in Grand Cayman recently, Menu stated that they accepted US dollars and mistakenly I thought the menu was priced in US dollars. 2 drinks and a starter later asked for the bill and it came to $27 Grand Cayman which should have equated to $32US but they had it marked at $44US. The also stated that they would take uk£ and that would cost £22. Given that the conversion rate was £1 - $1.25 this was obviousy the way to pay and I produced a credit card only to be told that credit cards were charged in US$ only.  A shower of rip off Barstewards but still left the waitress a tip as she was not the rip off merchant.

Just now, Moonglum25 said:

Was in  restaurant in Toronto a number of years ago and while it was fairly expensive the service was not the greatest and to be fair neither was the food.  When the bill came the waiter explained that it was customary to leave 20-25% as a tip.   At this point I noticed that there was already a 20% service charge added to the bill and asked him if he expected me to pay this as well as a tip.  Some people do he replied but was informed that there was no way on this planet was I leaving 45% in service charge and gratuities.

Was in Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville in Grand Cayman recently, Menu stated that they accepted US dollars and mistakenly I thought the menu was priced in US dollars. 2 drinks and a starter later asked for the bill and it came to $27 Grand Cayman which should have equated to $32US but they had it marked at $44US. The also stated that they would take uk£ and that would cost £22. Given that the conversion rate was £1 - $1.25 this was obviousy the way to pay and I produced a credit card only to be told that credit cards were charged in US$ only.  A shower of rip off Barstewards but still left the waitress a tip as she was not the rip off merchant.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

There was a time, admittedly this was in Italy and a tourist trap, we didn’t pay a tip.

We just had 2 beers and my wife had a Diet Coke then a white wine. When we ordered the wine, it came in a 175ml bottle and my wife did not get a new glass from her coke to drink it out of.

When we went to pay they brought us our bill it was just a sheet of paper that said 30euros on it. The menu we’d ordered off has prices on it so we knew this was high. We asked for an itemised bill, which was met with disgust.

The bill returned itemised now totalling 28 euros but that included a 25% service charge.

That sounds like an utter scam lol, im glad ive never been to a place like that yet, id say I've been lucky for as much as i can remember in that any foreign holidays ive been on the service focus on being nice to tourists as they want you back on the holiday, greece, before it went tits up financially, used to be fantastic for service i thought, restaurants would give you cracking prices if you went more than once on your holiday, they thrive on getting your business back

Mind you, they give you that raki stuff at the end of your meal, as if they try to kill you, so f**k knows lol

Being a paperboy at Xmas was great. I generally got £20-£30 quid in  tips which was a decent return in the early-80s. I trousered near enough £100 one year as I had to take over the round of a boy who had one of the better areas in town a week before Xmas. He was punted for nicking maras bars from the back shop when making up the bags. Cheers mate :lol: 

30 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Being a paperboy at Xmas was great. I generally got £20-£30 quid in  tips which was a decent return in the early-80s. I trousered near enough £100 one year as I had to take over the round of a boy who had one of the better areas in town a week before Xmas. He was punted for nicking maras bars from the back shop when making up the bags. Cheers mate :lol: 

I had a milk run when i was 13-18, fantastic money for the age group i was in, xmas was a gold mine

10 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

People saying they dont tip if its shite service they get in a restaurant, i honestly cannot remember ever having shite enough service not to leave a tip, sure if its busy the staff might not pay you full blown attention, but i honestly cant think of a time where the staff have been utter c***s etc 

You do get them though, whether they're having a bad day or not some folk are just not cut out for dealing with customers. I witnessed one in a very nice Edinburgh restaurant the other week, she got no tip from our table although our placid accounts assistant offered to punch her puss.

That sounds like an utter scam lol, im glad ive never been to a place like that yet, id say I've been lucky for as much as i can remember in that any foreign holidays ive been on the service focus on being nice to tourists as they want you back on the holiday, greece, before it went tits up financially, used to be fantastic for service i thought, restaurants would give you cracking prices if you went more than once on your holiday, they thrive on getting your business back
Mind you, they give you that raki stuff at the end of your meal, as if they try to kill you, so f**k knows lol

I agree.

Vast majority of foreign countries I’ve been to, especially the very touristy ones, understand that a lot of your restaurants/cafes are ten a penny and that service will set you apart from the others and make you come back.

Personally I’m always of the mind that you tip unless they give you a reason not to. I was a waiter once myself and I never felt I had a right to a tip for nothing, good manners and doing what you can to make it a good experience for the customers was part of the job so if I hadn’t done it I’d not expect it.

It did irk me when I lost tips due to the kitchen fucking about and making them wait an hour for their meal. In that situation I’d always apologise, acknowledge it and try and get them a free drink etc if it warranted it but they wouldn’t tip on the basis of having to wait so long.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:58, Deontay WildPar said:

There's a nice wee restaurant in Fife (there is, honestly) and every time I go in the owner still moans at me for burning one of his table cloths when you could still smoke in there. Also, there used to be a restaurant in St Andrews that had a toy train that went around the place high up. It could be derailed with a well-aimed baked potato. On a works night out a couple of staff got felled by some space cakes a Dutch colleague had made us all. This big girl passed out on the floor near the kitchen and the waiting staff had to step over her with all their plates, trays etc. I've been a terrible c**t in restaurants. 

The Crown & Anchor in Findhorn had one of those, it was used to ferry the bar meal orders to the kitchen.

I visited Rome with a group of friends years ago, one of whom was half Italian and spoke it fluently. The number of times he would send a bill back was incredible. Apparently many places have "local" prices and "tourist " prices; he would reject the latter and insist on the former. Once they realised he was part Italian there was never an issue.

The bigger issue was his refusal to leave a decent tip. He would throw a few Euros down and claimed the waiters would be insulted if we left more!
That shouldn't happen these days in Italy - the Finance Police are a lot better at making sure taxes are being paid and they can stop customers leaving any restaurant or shop and ask for a receipt and itemized bill to make sure they've declared the right amount of tax. I'm sure it still happens but the fines for the establishment are quite steep. Of course there are a few places in Italy (usually called a buffet, although they aren't what we would recognise as a buffet) where there is no menu and the waiter will just tell you what is fresh that day. Since these places tend to be a bit off the beaten track, you don't get an itemised bill but you don't get ripped off either. I had a superb 2 course meal with drinks and a limoncello for about 15 euros a head in Trieste a couple of years back. Generally though, since Italy isn't a county that tips often then a few euros (or rounding up the bill to the nearest ten or five - but only in cash, they can't do it with cards for the reasons above - by saying "make it 20" ("facciamo Venti") or whatever) is usually appreciated.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree.

Vast majority of foreign countries I’ve been to, especially the very touristy ones, understand that a lot of your restaurants/cafes are ten a penny and that service will set you apart from the others and make you come back.

Personally I’m always of the mind that you tip unless they give you a reason not to. I was a waiter once myself and I never felt I had a right to a tip for nothing, good manners and doing what you can to make it a good experience for the customers was part of the job so if I hadn’t done it I’d not expect it.

It did irk me when I lost tips due to the kitchen fucking about and making them wait an hour for their meal. In that situation I’d always apologise, acknowledge it and try and get them a free drink etc if it warranted it but they wouldn’t tip on the basis of having to wait so long.

The odd time when i feel i have waited overly long for my food i usually feel bad as the waiter/waitress is almost embarrassed when telling us, one time the poor lassie was crimson red explaining that the kitchen got our order wrong and insisted on preparing all 3 dishes from scratch instead of leaving the 2 correct ones under a hotplate or something, it could have been one pile of pish but she knocked 10% off the bill, the food was actually that good we gave the 10% back anyway as tip plus normal tip, 

It wasn't an expensive bill and the fact they admitted their error made me do it, if they didn't bother i probably wouldnt have waited for the food lol

A restaurant job to me looks hard as f**k to do consistently well, anyone who goes to a restaurant and doesnt understand that from time to time their will be mistakes is an arsehole, especially when the workers do their best to fix it and compensate you

Generally though, since Italy isn't a county that tips often then a few euros (or rounding up the bill to the nearest ten or five - but only in cash, they can't do it with cards for the reasons above - by saying "make it 20" ("facciamo Venti") or whatever) is usually appreciated.

So are you saying my friend was right, that Italian waiters don't expect a large tip, even from foreign tourists?[emoji848]

Would have to agree about the Greeks. Been to Kalamaki a few times in the last decade and if you go back to the same place a few times then they usually give you some free wine, a round of drinks or desserts. One time we were there with the in laws and their friends, one restaurant sent cars to pick us up from the hotel, gave us wine, tried to give us most of the tip back as they felt it was too much, then ran us back to the hotel again.

Archived