C***s in restaurants

Romeo

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk that suggest splitting the bill equally despite clearly having had much more expensive food / drink than others in the group.

At my first work Christmas night out in my first job, I was the lowly (and lowly paid) accounts assistant sitting next to the finance director, he getting paid at least 10 times what I was.  Very conscious that I barely had two beans to rub together, and the company was not subsidising the meal, I ordered a cheap main course, one drink and nothing else.  The FD was getting the lobster, fillet steak, vintage wines etc. - the most expensive stuff on the menu. 

Then come bill time, he decided (didn't ask anyone else) we'd split the bill between all of us.  I was silently fuming, but didn't want to get the sack from my first job so didn't say anything.  I chucked in what my share was worth, plus a couple of quid tip, and kept my gub shut when total was a tenner short.

1 hour ago, bishopburn boy said:

You see , that is the nub of the problem , you deciding what is best for me , now that is the sign of the Cnut on the loose , 

it it works this way , i’m Paying for it , so i’ll Request it done the way I prefer 

nae doot, you will also be the sort to tell me what to put in my dram , what is permissible and what isn’t , even in my own house once the dram is offered , it is up to the drinker to choose how he takes it , with ice , water , even coke , or just neat, that is the choice. , there is no right or wrong way in these sort of things.

a very valuable lesson taught me by my now departed old boy , “ Never water another man’s Whisky”, that pretty much applies across the board , it’s a good life lesson on tolerance. 

not tipping , or getting arsey about the coffee machine , Cnut , A1 , 

understanding how you own taste / preference works , and not imposing it on others , decent responsible member of society 

You are more than entitled to have steak prepared however you wish.  You don't know how to cook steak.

15 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Folk that suggest splitting the bill equally despite clearly having had much more expensive food / drink than others in the group.

At my first work Christmas night out in my first job, I was the lowly (and lowly paid) accounts assistant sitting next to the finance director, he getting paid at least 10 times what I was.  Very conscious that I barely had two beans to rub together, and the company was not subsidising the meal, I ordered a cheap main course, one drink and nothing else.  The FD was getting the lobster, fillet steak, vintage wines etc. - the most expensive stuff on the menu. 

Then come bill time, he decided (didn't ask anyone else) we'd split the bill between all of us.  I was silently fuming, but didn't want to get the sack from my first job so didn't say anything.  I chucked in what my share was worth, plus a couple of quid tip, and kept my gub shut when total was a tenner short.

Supplements are the things that get me.

If I have something that has a supplement (usually a steak), I pay that into the kitty first before anything gets split. It annoys the f**k out of me when people assume that others should pay for any extras they had.

46 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You are more than entitled to have steak prepared however you wish.  You don't know how to cook steak. ( the way I like it ) 

With the unspoken thought added to you comment , as a FTFY ,

the original ( according to ba and sgt wilson ) rambling  pish stands.

or is holding a contrary opinion just not acceptable ? 

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Bitches who say they only want a light salad and then eat all your chips.

The topic of bill splitting is perhaps one for another thread but...here's a cautionary tale from your Uncle Shotgun.

A few years back, we were invited to the 21st of the daughter of some friends, at a local hotel. Mrs Shotgun wasn't feeling well so I just went solo and ended up sitting at a table with a group of other middle-aged folks...and one young couple, about as old the party girl. It seemed a bit odd that they would want to spend their evening with a bunch of ancient people they didn't know instead of others their own age but there's no accounting for taste. Additionally, as the evening wore on, I found myself idly speculating at how a pair of kids, barely old enough to drink, could afford to be packing it away like they were doing. They were ordering round after round of shots for themselves, often as fast as the waitress could bring them and were getting well hammered.

It took perhaps longer than it should but finally the penny dropped and the next time the waitress came by, I let her know I was ready to close out my tab. The other old folk took their cue and it was almost comical to watch the kids' eyes get really big.  "Oh, are we not just splitting the bill?" asked the girl in a plaintive voice.

I twisted the knife.

"Nah," I said. "We've only had 2 or 3 drinks each. Why would we split it?"

Sure enough, when the checks came, theirs was about 3 times that of the rest of the table put together. I kind of wish I'd stayed to see how it played out but as I was saying my goodbyes, the pair of them were going from table to table asking "Can someone lend us some money?"

And of course, by "lend", I'm sure they meant "give." Welcome to the grown up world kiddos.

3 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

You see , that is the nub of the problem , you deciding what is best for me , now that is the sign of the Cnut on the loose , 

it it works this way , i’m Paying for it , so i’ll Request it done the way I prefer 

nae doot, you will also be the sort to tell me what to put in my dram , what is permissible and what isn’t , even in my own house once the dram is offered , it is up to the drinker to choose how he takes it , with ice , water , even coke , or just neat, that is the choice. , there is no right or wrong way in these sort of things.

a very valuable lesson taught me by my now departed old boy , “ Never water another man’s Whisky”, that pretty much applies across the board , it’s a good life lesson on tolerance. 

not tipping , or getting arsey about the coffee machine , Cnut , A1 , 

understanding how you own taste / preference works , and not imposing it on others , decent responsible member of society 

If you want to have your steak tough as an old boot then crack on, but it was you that started trying to impose your (dreadful) opinion on others, not the other way around, when you stated that well done was the ‘correct’ way to cook a steak. 

For some reason about the only time I stutter is when asked how I want my steak, especially when I haven't eaten there before. Properly done I like it medium rare but sometimes I've been given it raw when I've asked for that, so sometimes I ask for medium and it arrives burnt. Last few years I think kitchens are getting more reliable though. A place in Wales that got it right I ended up asking the chef how he did it. Flash fry and in the oven for the right number of minutes according to the order. Back in the frying pan briefly with butter before resting and serving. Not traditional but it works.

20 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Do folk tip regularly? I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've left a tip in a restaurant in the last 10 years.

I tip every time I eat anywhere with table service, but I worked in hospitality (back of house) for 5 years so got used to it.

I don't think we have the culture like they do in North America where its expected to subsidise poverty wages but its getting like that in London especially.

22 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

A 10% tip isn't beyond anyone unless the food and service have been bad. Staff in restaurants are generally badly paid.

And the idea that it has to be 10% is rubbish. Anything you want to leave is welcome. We're not fucking America, and bare in mind that a lot of people don't tip at all.

Archived