C***ts In Shops

Moonglum25

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

You are right, of course.  That, Education for Education's Sake is a good thing is beyond debate.  Something that you missed out is that an undergraduate degree is now little more than a box-ticking exercise.  This is different to when I graduated, when a degree actually meant something, 

What I've told my kids is that, unless they have a particular vocation in mind, they should regard their first degree as a 'fun degree' so do something enjoyable that they'll do well in.  Their real focus has got to be what they do post grad - either further studies or a structured profession.

My daughter opted to do psychology at Strling Uni reasoning that it might help her understand my temper tantrums.  

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

My daughter opted to do psychology at Strling Uni reasoning that it might help her understand my temper tantrums.  

Pfft:  You resent where you live; you feel like a fish out of water;  you have no/a small number of pals; you've not had a visit from Nat King for years and you get triggered by the use of the word 'Scotch'.

Save the Uni fees and just give her a logon to P&B.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Dublin with the Mrs.  It's a delightful city with some terrific bars and restaurants.  Please don't argue.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You are right, of course.  That, Education for Education's Sake is a good thing is beyond debate.  Something that you missed out is that an undergraduate degree is now little more than a box-ticking exercise.  This is different to when I graduated, when a degree actually meant something, 

What I've told my kids is that, unless they have a particular vocation in mind, they should regard their first degree as a 'fun degree' so do something enjoyable that they'll do well in.  Their real focus has got to be what they do post grad - either further studies or a structured profession.

Bollocks. You don’t have to do any form of post-grad to get into a good career, there’s plenty of people that have done it. If you’ve done a subject with little value, or gone to a poor University, then I’d agree you’d probably need to do something else to compete with those who’ve done proper degrees at a decent University.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Bollocks. You don’t have to do any form of post-grad to get into a good career, there’s plenty of people that have done it. If you’ve done a subject with little value, or gone to a poor University, then I’d agree you’d probably need to do something else to compete with those who’ve done proper degrees at a decent University.

This post of dross in incomplete.  Provide the following:

List 1:  Proper degrees.
List 2: Decent universities.

I know you'll fail to produce either - but at least you'll have the satisfaction of talking shite in a bold way.

Was in a jewellers in Falkirk yesterday and this guy came in compaining  that his watch battery that he allegedly bought off them one month ago, was now flat .

He had no proof of purchase and said he’d paid cash for it .

The young assistant told him without a receipt  or a traceable credit card payment , there was nothing they could do about it .

At this the guy started to accuse the assistant of alleging he was a liar and started demanding to see “ someone in a more senior position “ and was duly told that he was actually talking to the shop manager .

Despite his continued protests which were now bordering on personal insults , the girl rightly refused to back down and sent the cantankerous old c**t on his way .

I was slightly disappointed that she never gave him a good hard kick in the bawz as well 

3 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Was in a jewellers in Falkirk yesterday and this guy came in compaining  that his watch battery that he allegedly bought off them one month ago, was now flat .

The young assistant told him without a receipt  or a traceable credit card payment , there was nothing they could do about it .

At this the guy started to accuse the assistant of alleging he was a liar and started demanding to see “ someone in a more senior position “ and was duly told that he was actually talking to the shop manager .

Despite his continued protests which were now bordering on personal insults , the girl rightly refused to back down and sent the cantankerous old c**t on his way .

I was slightly disappointed that she never gave him a good hard kick in the bawz as well 

I bet the chancing old coffin dodger had a wind up watch and was trying to get a freebie for his hearing aid. 

7 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I recall some talk show where Alice Cooper told an anecdote about Ozzie Osbourne taking his new self winding Rolex back to the jewellers.

Ozzie berated the staff saying 'that the fucking thing had stopped'

After a while to inspect the watch the jeweller declared, 'Mr Osbourne, your timepiece is in perfect order, it is simply overwound'

40 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I know you'll fail to produce either - but at least you'll have the satisfaction of talking shite in a bold way.

List 2: any university in Scotland that isn’t called ‘University of *insert name of city*’ is a fake uni IMO.

On 12/01/2019 at 07:49, Cerberus said:

They’ll probably get fed up not finding a job and retrain as a school teacher.
That’s what usually happens to people with weird degrees like philosophy or sociology or marketing.

All too common - an ex of mine became an English  teacher because (in her words) her MA Honours in Politics was “fucking useless “.

Once had a student retraining as a Maths teacher because he didn’t know what to do after being made redundant by the industrial sector. Clearly knew next to nothing about maths but wasn’t letting it stop him.

List 1 : a proper degree includes :
- a study of a branch of philosophy ( Moral/Social)Political/Science / Religious )
- both lectures & tutorials
- extensive use of a library
- writing at length
- teaching by staff who have been (and continue to be ) published in that discipline
- oh, and of course....... the opportunity to mock those with a couple of Cs at higher and the former tech colleges/dough schools they attend which are now styled "unis"
Will this do?

I have no evidence to base this on (and as the recipient of two degrees I am capable of admitting this) but I get the feeling that the most vocal of the Get A Real Degree (maths, science, computers or economics)  have no experience of higher education themselves. 

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I have no evidence to base this on (and as the recipient of two degrees I am capable of admitting this) but I get the feeling that the most vocal of the Get A Real Degree (maths, science, computers or economics)  have no experience of higher education themselves. 

I promise this isn’t a dig at what you do, just because of the previous posts about certain degrees not having great career prospects but do you not work in retail/hospitality? (I may have assumed this solely on the fact you said you wear black Slazengers to work). 

If so, then it does give further evidence to the idea that getting a degree in something interesting (which can still give you valuable skills in critical thinking amongst other things) but not at all practical/relatable to many jobs isn’t a great career move. I wouldn’t discourage people from doing these types of degrees as they can still learn a lot, but you can’t really complain about not finding a solid career path upon leaving Uni if you’ve studied Classics IMO (just an example of someone I know).

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I promise this isn’t a dig at what you do, just because of the previous posts about certain degrees not having great career prospects but do you not work in retail/hospitality? (I may have assumed this solely on the fact you said you wear black Slazengers to work). 

If so, then it does give further evidence to the idea that getting a degree in something interesting (which can still give you valuable skills in critical thinking amongst other things) but not at all practical/relatable to many jobs isn’t a great career move. I wouldn’t discourage people from doing these types of degrees as they can still learn a lot, but you can’t really complain about not finding a solid career path upon leaving Uni if you’ve studied Classics IMO (just an example of someone I know).

I got rid of the Slazengers ages ago and the reputation of my employment is not directly related to the field of my degrees.

Also I'm pretty sure that Slazengers post was from 2016

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I got rid of the Slazengers ages ago and the reputation of my employment is not directly related to the field of my degrees.

Also I'm pretty sure that Slazengers post was from 2016

I knew the Slazengers post was a fair while ago. Assume it was a part-time job when at Uni based on the above then. 

Archived