C***ts In Shops

Moonglum25

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Only c*nts shop on New Years Day. If no-one did it, shopworkers would have a holiday too.

As recently as the 1980's, everything (including pubs and clubs) shut at 10:30 pm on the 31st, and didn't reopen until the 2nd. Is it too much to ask to return to that?

Yes.

Its 2018, we now live in a 24/7 economy.

The Scottish New Year myth needs ending, I enjoyed shopping yesterday as I do every New Year - spent last NY in Sydney and if they can have everything open then I don't see why we have to fall into this drunken stupor myth.  If we need a public holiday then lets at least have it in the summer rather than in winter.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

If the shops were shut I bet most of the people who went to them today wouldn't have complained. Probably only went because they could, they were off work, and couldn't be bothered waiting till the weekend.

People are weird. There's no *need* for anything other than vital public services to be open on New Year's Day. Corporate greed is the real reason they open.

No offence but f**k off back to the 1920s with that attitude.

Its not greed, its wanting a service from corporations that suits my needs and my needs are that I want to shop on January 1st, scheme goblins may want to lie in their beds wallowing in their own alcoholic haze but the majority of the country wants a normal working day. For many 1/1 is just another day and all that false New Years Eve shite needs putting down.

Its not greed, its wanting a service from corporations that suits my needs and my needs are that I want to shop on January 1st, scheme goblins may want to lie in their beds wallowing in their own alcoholic haze but the majority of the country wants a normal working day. For many 1/1 is just another day and all that false New Years Eve shite needs putting down.

Are you confident that a majority of people want a normal working day on the 1st?

Brexit under the Tories has all but guaranteed an absolute hammering for workers rights.

Are you sure you want to go down the road of surrendering something that has been most if not all peoples right for decades?

Death by a thousand cuts until we become America is what you are talking about. f**k that.

43 minutes ago, drs said:

You sound like a right laugh. 

44 minutes ago, drs said:

What a selfish c**t. Sundays used to be the one day a week when friends and families could get together whatever shifts they were working, now that that's fucked you want to stop one or 2 days a year. I assume you have the same attitude to Christmas Day.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
I wouldn't have went in if it wasn't open. I was vainly hoping they'd have fresh lasagne sheets. They didn't. I had to soak the dry ones then cut them to fit.

I hope you can remember the secret to a good lasagne....

Yes. But I can't tell you

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Pineapple.

No

1 hour ago, drs said:

Pish. Horrible stereotyping pish as well. Plenty of folk from all walks of life get pished on Hogmanay. Plenty don't. Loads of folk go see family on the 1st though.

Why do you need to shop on the 1st of January? For what? 

The majority of the country do not want a normal working day. No idea where you've made that nonsense up from.  Or why.

2 hours ago, drs said:

I was working yesterday, but have to disagree with this nonsense.

I had to work 'just in case of emergencies'but got exactly 6 e-mails in 6 hours.  None of them were actually typed by a person, they were all auto-generated e-mails with generic performance reports.  And I got nothing extra for it.

I'd much rather have been off, not to lie in an alcoholic haze, nor to go shopping, but just to spend time with my family.

2 hours ago, drs said:

What do you want, I've got 3 dozen loaves and 15 gallons of milk? The secret is to get in early before Christmas and New Year and buy everything.

Retailers are going overboard to pander to our obsession with shopping, to the detriment of staff being able to take days off when would suit them and their families. Our thanks to them? Heading to Amazon.

Anyone who is in the queue at Next at 6am on Boxing Day or looking for stuff in supermarkets on Christmas Day or New Years Day needs to take a wee look at themselves. Other than essential services, we don't need shops open 365 days a year.

I’ve been away from the UK for a while, but I’m almost certain* that Public Holidays were preserved & you couldn’t be forced to work them? You could work them on your terms - enhanced pay & carry over of that holiday day? Or is it up to the employer?

* not certain at all, but that was always the way with my UK employers. Maybe a company to company decision?

Next is shut on new years day yet opens 6AM boxing day.
So Next reckon there staff are to have a shitey Xmas day staying sober and trying to figure out how to get to work on Boxing day but are allowed to have a blinding Hogmanay.
Anyone explain this shit to me?

IIRC they don’t just expect their usual staff to come in, they take on one day temps to deal with the Boxing Day rush.

For many 1/1 is just another day and all that false New Years Eve shite needs putting down.

Didn’t realise Peter Hitchens posted here.

39 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’ve been away from the UK for a while, but I’m almost certain* that Public Holidays were preserved & you couldn’t be forced to work them? You could work them on your terms - enhanced pay & carry over of that holiday day? Or is it up to the employer?

* not certain at all, but that was always the way with my UK employers. Maybe a company to company decision?

We used to get an extra payment for BH's until a few years ago, but then my employer made a 'minor' change to the contract to make them a normal working day, and bought the employees goodwill by adding the days to your Annual Leave entitlement instead.

Despite the advice of our union, that less than 10% of the employees have joined, the vast bulk (probably that 90%) votes it through as ok,

42 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

In the good old days of trade unions we used to get treble time or double plus a day off in lieu.

Archived