Asian Cup 2019

HibeeJibee

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Their coach Ayman Hakeem left after they lost the WC playoff to Australia. Bernd Stange took over, and has just been sacked after their abysmal 2018 and poor start to the tournament. Hakeem was reported to have taken the job again but it appears it is somebody else now.

That's a shame.  Wasn't Hakeem the one with the tremendous elbow patches in the WC Playoff?

I shall cheer on India instead.

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

The whole 3 teams qualifying from some groups really puzzles me. I just assume that if you win 2 games you’re definitely through. Saudi Arabia beating Lebanon to join Jordan, China, South Korea, Iran and Iraq in the next round....

Almost certainly.

You'd need 3 teams to all have 6pts (i.e. 6/6/6/0) and that to happen in 5/6 of 6 groups.

17 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

The whole 3 teams qualifying from some groups really puzzles me. I just assume that if you win 2 games you’re definitely through. Saudi Arabia beating Lebanon to join Jordan, China, South Korea, Iran and Iraq in the next round....

Technically, no. Because it could theoretically be the case that in five groups three teams could finish with six points. In that case, one team would go home having won two games from three.

But, yes, very unlikely.

I just hope South Korea don't win it. Koreans are unbearable with even the slightest slither of success. To the locals it will just be one more example of their unquestionable racial and cultural superiority. I hope they get pumped by either Japan or Iran, as that would upset the locals most.

Another win for Japan, but just like South Korea, another fairly unimpressive performance.

Edit - Uzbekistan join them in the round of 16 with a 4-0 tanking of Turkmenistan. The Uzbeks look better than Japan atm.

Runners-up Group B face runners-up Group F in the Round of 16 so it will most likely be Australia v Japan or Uzbekistan. Although Japan should beat Australia they’d probably want to avoid them this early. They might turn it up a bit when they play the Uzbeks in their last group game.

3 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Heartbreak for India and Bahrain score a penalty in stoppage time to win 1-0 to send India out, Bahrain possibly through, and UAE and Thailand definitely through after their draw

Feel really bad for India, they were pretty good to watch.

Bahrain are through, they come 2nd in the group,  Thailand officially have to wait on results, but it looks like WE'RE through.

Suck it up @Mozzamozza

Thailand are through in second on head-to-head aren’t they? Bahrain are still through in third because there is only one other third placed side who can have more points than them I believe
Goal Difference, is how they are placed in the groups. Seen the group table after the game.
Thai players were not overly congratulating each other. That's the way I see it.

As Thailand  get through to the knockout stages for the first time in 40 years (5 attempts), this is a massive achievement for a team ranked 118 in the world.  Next up will be China or S.Korea on Sunday.

I'd take the Chinese.

Last night was very strange, I found myself getting very involved and shouting at the telly, got right into it.  f**k know what I'd be like if it was Scotland at a tournament (yes, I'm old enough to remember).  Buzzing for the next round. 

58 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Last night was very strange, I found myself getting very involved and shouting at the telly, got right into it.  f**k know what I'd be like if it was Scotland at a tournament (yes, I'm old enough to remember).  Buzzing for the next round. 

Know what that’s like having done that with Australia especially this one. 

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Half time in todays early games

Uzbekistan 1-1 Japan
Turkmenistan 1-1 Oman

Japan won 2-1 and Oman 3-1.

North Korea currently beating Lebanon 1-0 and Saudi Arabia v Qatar is scoreless.

Archived