Cowdenbeath v Edinburgh City

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The red card didn't look like a red either, would be good to see that again.

Ref and lino on the terracing side were incompetent.

Edinburgh definitely had the best opportunities though. Hitting the post when 1 on 1 and good save when 1 on 1 as well.

I'd say we played like a side more than capable of mid table mediocrity which will be fine this season.

City certainly got the breaks today. Cowden much improved from when I saw them last season and if they’d taken their chances it could have been very close. Officials were poor as they normal but to me didn’t affect the end result

Stonewall penalty in the first minute? That might/probably/could’ve changed the end result. Never mind. We move on.

The Ref was pretty much like all we’ve had this season. The penalty incident came too early in the game for him, he probably was still trying to get to grips with his shorts.. Re the first goal after the thrown in, nothing wrong with the goal but the player taking the throw stole about 15yds, that was the problem. He’d done that several times beforehand, totally ignored by the linesperson who was the worst I’ve seen in senior football - ever. 

Surprised that Cowden had more of the game after we had a player sent off. City certainly were there for the taking. If only we had some forwards.

1 hour ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Added to the fact the central defender was booked for taking out our player when he would have been 1 on 1 wirh the keeper. No attempt to win the ball = red card.

Can’t agree mate.

our player wasn’t in control of the ball, it had run away from him. He was taken out though so yellow correct for me.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

I would say they did given that we had a good shout for a penalty turned down it the 1st minute if we had got the penalty and scored it would have been a different game. Boy also stole 10 yards or so at the throw in that started the move for City's 1st goal.

Totally agree about both. Obviously a penalty would have changed the course of the game.

also the ref didn’t know the rules! Forcing our injured player off the pitch when the opponent had been booked. That rule has changed!

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

The red card didn't look like a red either, would be good to see that again.

Ref and lino on the terracing side were incompetent.

Edinburgh definitely had the best opportunities though. Hitting the post when 1 on 1 and good save when 1 on 1 as well.

I'd say we played like a side more than capable of mid table mediocrity which will be fine this season.

Accurate comments

3 minutes ago, big al said:

Can’t agree mate.

our player wasn’t in control of the ball, it had run away from him. He was taken out though so yellow correct for me.

Not a clear goal scoring opportunity but a foul so yellow card correct decision.

5 hours ago, scrooge1928 said:

Not a satisfying win - own goal and a head-in from a throw-in. 2-0 flattered us. Will need to watch the video, but I thought the red card was harsh.

Too harsh on your side Scrouge sign of a good team not playing well but getting the points. If you go on and win the league like I think you will no one will remember that you never played that great at Cowden in December just that you won,

The old story about the team at the top gets the breaks.

looked an obvious push in the box in 2nd minute.  Arguable red card for Balatoni, if the keeper was getting the ball, why did he wipe our player out ?

bad tackle by Liam Henderson is deemed a yellow.

dont understand the red card for Talbot, the ref seemed to be playing on then blew the whistle and gave the red card. Even EC manager said it didn’t look much in it.

edinburgh are decent but not much between the teams other than we are not creating chances but Cox, Malcolm and Buchanan were a miss today. 

Im beginning to think we are being targeted by officials. Buchanan and Talbot  red cards in recent weeks were no more than strong tackles in which opposition players were not injured. Malcolm has been injured for 2 weeks following a flying tackle which was deemed as he got the ball so it’s ok !

Finally, what is the point of Edinburgh City ? Away support was abysmal for a team top of the league. They are the flag bearers of the pyramid which SFA want to expand to allow fresh breath into Scottish Football. They have no ground, no support, no youth set up, no community  involvement and sign sex offenders. Great advert for the pyramid. !

35 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

The old story about the team at the top gets the breaks.

looked an obvious push in the box in 2nd minute.  Arguable red card for Balatoni, if the keeper was getting the ball, why did he wipe our player out ?

bad tackle by Liam Henderson is deemed a yellow.

dont understand the red card for Talbot, the ref seemed to be playing on then blew the whistle and gave the red card. Even EC manager said it didn’t look much in it.

edinburgh are decent but not much between the teams other than we are not creating chances but Cox, Malcolm and Buchanan were a miss today. 

Im beginning to think we are being targeted by officials. Buchanan and Talbot  red cards in recent weeks were no more than strong tackles in which opposition players were not injured. Malcolm has been injured for 2 weeks following a flying tackle which was deemed as he got the ball so it’s ok !

Finally, what is the point of Edinburgh City ? Away support was abysmal for a team top of the league. They are the flag bearers of the pyramid which SFA want to expand to allow fresh breath into Scottish Football. They have no ground, no support, no youth set up, no community  involvement and sign sex offenders. Great advert for the pyramid. !

Just as well Cox wasn’t playing. That ref would have sent him off. I think Talbot got his red card because he had been the victim of a bad tackle  and the ref thought he was out for revenge. His tackle wasn’t more than a yellow.

You’re sounding a bit bitter and petty considering Cowdenbeath’s current situation regarding ground and attendances and how close they’ve been to dropping down the pyramid over the last couple of seasons. I think you need to channel that anger into why your team didn’t register a single shot on target during the match rather than lashing out at the other team. I’ve got nothing against Cowdenbeath, I actually make sure I go to every Cowden away game as it’s quite an easy ground for me to get to (Even though the stand supports that obscure the view are annoying). Glad it looks like you’re staying out of the play-offs this year. Merry Christmas[emoji319]

1 hour ago, Bay Citizen said:

You’re sounding a bit bitter and petty considering Cowdenbeath’s current situation regarding ground and attendances and how close they’ve been to dropping down the pyramid over the last couple of seasons. I think you need to channel that anger into why your team didn’t register a single shot on target during the match rather than lashing out at the other team. I’ve got nothing against Cowdenbeath, I actually make sure I go to every Cowden away game as it’s quite an easy ground for me to get to (Even though the stand supports that obscure the view are annoying). Glad it looks like you’re staying out of the play-offs this year. Merry Christmasemoji319.png

You are correct, if you don’t shoot you can’t score. I cannot remember the City keeper having to make a save. The best we could have achieved yesterday was 0-0 . We should have been firing them in from all angles.

Anyway, hope you guys win the league. Peterhead, although they have a decent squad and the best striker in the league, will more than likely bottle it again.

Merry Christmas.

1 hour ago, Bay Citizen said:

You’re sounding a bit bitter and petty considering Cowdenbeath’s current situation regarding ground and attendances and how close they’ve been to dropping down the pyramid over the last couple of seasons. I think you need to channel that anger into why your team didn’t register a single shot on target during the match rather than lashing out at the other team. I’ve got nothing against Cowdenbeath, I actually make sure I go to every Cowden away game as it’s quite an easy ground for me to get to (Even though the stand supports that obscure the view are annoying). Glad it looks like you’re staying out of the play-offs this year. Merry Christmasemoji319.png

Both clubs are in a similar position re ground rental and almost identical crowds I suppose Lex's dig is your top of the table but not getting the crowds the position probably deserve. Always going to be tough crowd wise being the 3rd SPFL side in the capital Meadowbank had the same problem.

As you say Cowden fans should be more concerned about the lack of attempts on goal.

7 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

And merry Xmas to you too

no complaints about the result but could have been a closer game had we got any of the big calls from the ref.

my issue about Edinburgh city is not personal, I’m just pointing out that I don’t think Edinburgh city have improved Scottish football as per the aims of the pyramid. The SFA recently published a report regarding Scottish footballs professional clubs social impact on the country. I don’t think Edinburgh have done anything to benefit their community if indeed they have one. I admire Clyde who have moved town and worked very hard to build a new fan base. I don’t see any effort to do that from EC.

Yes we have finished bottom for two seasons and many say we deserve to drop out the league but we are active in our community and so bring much needed benefit to the town. Edinburgh City seem content to be solely a  football team not a Club.

City got up to the League on playing merit rather than being elected or taking over another club or moving an existing club 15 miles to the west of their home city and then going bankrupt 4 times. Sorry about that, we'll try not to do it again.  

34 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

City got up to the League on playing merit rather than being elected or taking over another club or moving an existing club 15 miles to the west of their home city and then going bankrupt 4 times. Sorry about that, we'll try not to do it again.  

Think your missing the point.

now that your in the spfl, are Edinburgh going to make any attempt to build a fan base and be a useful part of their local community or do you support just being a football team. If so, how is that an improvement for Scottish football ? It’s not me that is promoting Scottish Footballs social impact, it’s the SFA and the Scottish government. Read the report.

10 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

my issue about Edinburgh city is not personal, I’m just pointing out that I don’t think Edinburgh city have improved Scottish football as per the aims of the pyramid. The SFA recently published a report regarding Scottish footballs professional clubs social impact on the country. I don’t think Edinburgh have done anything to benefit their community if indeed they have one. I admire Clyde who have moved town and worked very hard to build a new fan base. I don’t see any effort to do that from EC.

Yes we have finished bottom for two seasons and many say we deserve to drop out the league but we are active in our community and so bring much needed benefit to the town. Edinburgh City seem content to be solely a  football team not a Club.

What added benefit do you think a small club like City can do to improve the local community in Edinburgh?  It's a different world from being from a small town like Cowden.  Do they do less than Queens Park do for example?  

The only things I'd expect a small club to do would be to be like Stenny but they of course have an astroturf pitch that they own.  City don't play in their own ground currently so that will hopefully improve in the future.

Archived