Cowdenbeath v Edinburgh City

As it's not been started yet, and I'm heading up for the match (hopefully, as the driver's not the best time-keeper), I thought I might as well start this thread on a match that's been forgotten about amidst the currently nostalgic thread on Cowden's season.

So with this being me mate's first home match, and his second since a winning debut at Annan that ruined my bet as I'd gone against Cowden in the twisted yet footballing-sensible logic that if the Miners win or draw, I'll be delighted and if it's a home win then it's paid for my train, I'm going for a 3-2 Edinburgh win and two red cards in the run-up to Christmas...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, after having two games already postponed late on this season, and the recent thread questioning the wisdom of travelling to a game that you expect to be in doubt... I might as well ask now... There's no chance of this being off is there?!

By the way, after having two games already postponed late on this season, and the recent thread questioning the wisdom of travelling to a game that you expect to be in doubt... I might as well ask now... There's no chance of this being off is there?!

Just purely looking at the forecast and taking into account the reasonable weather we've had I will stick my neck out and say game on.

Since the forecast is decent with the chance of minimal rain, the game should be absolutely fine. Some rain fell today but nothing significant. Had the forecast been full of warnings, say, for gale force winds most of the day, then I'd say it was massively doubtful it would go ahead.

31 minutes ago, Drifter said:

After what happened at Elgin you should be prepared for anything. At least you aren’t travelling with Scotrail.

2 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

After what happened at Elgin you should be prepared for anything. At least you aren’t travelling with Scotrail.

I can't even book on nationrail.com if it involves a trip with Scotrail at the moment... though the north west rail lines are probably worse lately, or if on a par with the constant canecllations/delays/etc Scotrail provide!

My biggest fear is arriving alive as the driver thinks he's a bit of an Ayrton Senna... and we all know how that ended... so hopefully we leave in good time so we aint taking a distracted diversion into the River Forth as we gaze across at the train bridge!

I'll definitely be in need of a few pies if I land safely, that's for sure

Wish us well!

Incidentally, what's the best pie shop in Cowden so I can stock up pre-match to offer me something more than turkey barms (or rolls, or baps.... or whatever) in the next few days?

I've passed Stephens and Baines on the High Street in the past, but never known which to dive into so just headed for the pub instead. And I do like the pies inside Central Park but don't want to be buying up half the stock before the game's even kicked off,.. so any pie-related advice much appreciated ta... (and I'll bring my own Rennies)

In fairness, Cowdenbeath has a good selection of Bakers and Butchers. The best in my opinion is Hugh Blacks between Poundstretcher and Morrisons. Steak Bridies are a firm favourite for me. Their carrot cake is also something to behold for the sweet tooth. Pop in, the staff are extremely friendly too.

16 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

In fairness, Cowdenbeath has a good selection of Bakers and Butchers. The best in my opinion is Hugh Blacks between Poundstretcher and Morrisons. Steak Bridies are a firm favourite for me. Their carrot cake is also something to behold for the sweet tooth. Pop in, the staff are extremely friendly too.

Top recommendation pal as I'll be popping into the Morrisons... and do love a good carrot cake!

We should have had a pen in the first minute. I’ve no idea why it wasn’t given. Renton missed a good chance a few minutes later. Edinburgh scored (it was an og) with their first real attack. It’s amazing when your at the top things go for you. Referee was the worst player on the park. We certainly competed well today but didn’t get any breaks. City have one or two decent players in important positions but it’s not a good league imo.

A more inept bunch of officials I haven't seen. They somehow manage to sink to new lows. Disgraceful.

I was trying not to go overboard with the officials were bad saga. However it was quite incredible today. Shocking performance. The linesman was looking right at the blatant push in the box in the first minute. He also let them steal yards at every throw in. One of them led to the first goal.

City certainly got the breaks today. Cowden much improved from when I saw them last season and if they’d taken their chances it could have been very close. Officials were poor as they normal but to me didn’t affect the end result

4 minutes ago, tikataka said:

City certainly got the breaks today. Cowden much improved from when I saw them last season and if they’d taken their chances it could have been very close. Officials were poor as they normal but to me didn’t affect the end result

I would say they did given that we had a good shout for a penalty turned down it the 1st minute if we had got the penalty and scored it would have been a different game. Boy also stole 10 yards or so at the throw in that started the move for City's 1st goal.

Archived