January transfer window

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure I've seen you before desperately twisting literally everything to blame the Old Firm for something or another.

Being "raw" as I described him during his time at Aberdeen, doesn't necessarily make him a cart horse.

All about opinions

And your previous comment makes no sense at all. WTF the Old Firm (???) have to do with Stockley abilities passes me by

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sheep62 said:

Being "raw" as I described him during his time at Aberdeen, doesn't necessarily make him a cart horse.

All about opinions

And your previous comment makes no sense at all. WTF the Old Firm (???) have to do with Stockley abilities passes me by

14 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Hounded out of Scottish football because the "bhoy wonder" couldn't keep his chin under control in the cup final.

You seem to have suggested the only reason he left Aberdeen was Old Firm fan pressure.

Stockley had been loaned by Bournemouth around numerous lower/non-league English teams with mixed results. Had a good spell at Exeter, went to Aberdeen, got found out, went back to Exeter, had another good spell. He's rarely scored above League Two in England.  It's a massive risk by Preston but time will tell.

In terms of Saints it's....

In: Nobody, rumoured to be interested in Daniel Armstrong of Raith

Out: Tristan Nydams loan spell won't be extended so he'll return to Ipswich 

Free to leave: Stefan Scougall and Greg Hurst have been told to find new clubs, both players contracts expire this Summer

Available for loan: Kyle McLean and Ali McCann told to find loans for regular game time.

Can't see us doing much, the managers already said his priority is extending contracts for those who only have six months to run. We probably need a CM or Winger if anything.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Think I'd take Scougall. No idea what his wages would be like though, whether others would be in for him, or if any fee would be required.

No fee by the sounds of it. His yearly wage is apparently "six figures" so at least £1.9k a week if that's true.

Can see why we want him off the books.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No fee by the sounds of it. His yearly wage is apparently "six figures" so at least £1.9k a week if that's true.

Can see why we want him off the books.

He's lightweight, but he'd add much needed creativity to our team. McIntyre is targeting up to 8 in and I'd be disappointed if we weren't after him even if he's not really done as expected at St Johnstone. Think he's a good player, just one of those ones that hasn't worked out.

We've announced that Haber, Moussa, Mendy, Spence, Ngwatala and Madianga are free to a good home. Madianga could be a surprisingly decent top flight pick up. Only reason we're punting him is we're in the doldrums and he can't speak a word of English. The rest - obviously, not so much.

I’m surprised Scougall’s career has hit the rocks after a promising start at Livi. The suggest 6-fig salary is a non-starter for us but he’s the kind of player that Livi have turned around in recent years. Not sure where he would fit into the current squad unless we lost one of Pittman/Sibbald/Lawless.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's lightweight, but he'd add much needed creativity to our team. McIntyre is targeting up to 8 in and I'd be disappointed if we weren't after him even if he's not really done as expected at St Johnstone. Think he's a good player, just one of those ones that hasn't worked out.

I like him, but I don't think he's what you need. Our team is set up to allow "flair" players freedom, that's why MOH/Swanson/Kennedy have all looked so good, Scougall was given that role last season and didn't do anything of note, literally nothing. One goal, which came from two Hamilton players running into each other and letting him go clean through, and I don't think he got any assists either.

He'd probably just add to your list of midfielders who can only play central, like to pass the ball, but have no cutting edge at all. Having him and Woods in the same midfield would have the third midfielder having to cover a lot of ground.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like him, but I don't think he's what you need. Our team is set up to allow "flair" players freedom, that's why MOH/Swanson/Kennedy have all looked so good, Scougall was given that role last season and didn't do anything of note, literally nothing. One goal, which came from two Hamilton players running into each other and letting him go clean through, and I don't think he got any assists either.

He'd probably just add to your list of midfielders who can only play central, like to pass the ball, but have no cutting edge at all. Having him and Woods in the same midfield would have the third midfielder having to cover a lot of ground.

To be fair to Woods, he's limited ability and takes a lot of stick from opposition but out of all our midfielders, he's been the one with the most dig about him. That's obviously surprising as he has a bit of a reputation as being a pop star.

I can hear the opposition saying, 'But aye, Dundee are shite. Fair point but a lot of teams would snap up our CMs in Kamara and McGowan.

Then again, I hear the counterargument being, Kamara and McGowan are probably 2 of the biggest reputed midfielders in the league with a bit of dig about them. Woods has so far put both to shame in that regard. And that's a valid point. 

Woods has been a very limited but great battled since he came to Dens despite his rep elsewhere. And based on what I've saw, he'd be good to link up with a lightweight, creative genius. I'd hoped for GGH, but Scougall could be that man.

I've written all this, but bare in mind, this dundee side isn't like a st Johnstone side you've seen since John Connolly.

Stockley wasn't great at all at Aberdeen but people are really overestating how shite he was. He wasn't a carthorse and showed some quality in flashes.

He certainly wasn’t shite. His careless elbows cost him his Aberdeen career IMO.

I would’ve happily kept him.

Radford called Scougall perfectly in his post on our thread a few weeks ago. The idea of him is much better than the reality and, flashes of brilliance and the odd excellent touch aside, he doesn’t really meaningfully contribute to games. Not to say he wouldn’t come good but I think you’d have to build a whole side around him and let him play in behind a main striker if you’re really going to get the best out of him. I don’t think that would be the case for any team signing him in January. 

He’d be a very expensive and probably a high risk gamble as he’s on a good contract with us and won’t be under any obligation to walk away from it seeing as he’ll have offers for his services in the summer. 

With Lowe going back to Derby I would assume a left back will be coming in this window as it would be madness to think we can go back to playing Considine there. Still think we need a creative central midfielder and unless Wilson is going to play like he did in the second half yesterday all the time a striker should also be in bound. 

Given that Forrester could not get in to yesterday’s injury ravaged team I would expect him to be off loaded along with Tansey. 

12 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Tansey is made of glass though. 

Can't remember if it was knees or hips but he's got fitness problems.

Groin issues. 

Read that the first operation he had was botched though and set him back further and this is now corrected. 

Anyone we get in January will be a gamble to some degree. Teams don't let their best players leave in January for nothing. 

Archived