Annan vs Berwick

I fancy the trip north to the outer extremes of Wigtownshire to see the mighty Raangers vs Annan. Who will win? feck knows, depends which Berwick side turns up, Has the JH honeymoon period expired? is Annan a stupid woman?  Will Willis play?  Will it be windy? What is the Airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?  We have never really fared well there so   2-0 to Berwick, sending the troops home with a happy warm feeling inside before the holidays.  Good will to all men and that etc etc 

Our first game after the feeble display v Peterhead. 

The boss will have had time to look properly at Todd. Also, Mcilduff, Cook and Hamilton might have suggested to the boss that they can pass the ball to their own players. Hope there has been a reaction in training from everyone to be honest. 

I guess Healey and Willis will still be out. So a chance for Rose up front? 

I refuse to predict the result. (2-0 to Berwick, hat-trick for Barr) 

It was brutal, I think even the Annan fans would say this is not the best team they have seen but they were still streets ahead of us. With 3 centre halves on the bench we really do need some attacking options. Johnny and the board have some work to do this January 

1 hour ago, dougster said:

It was brutal, I think even the Annan fans would say this is not the best team they have seen but they were still streets ahead of us. With 3 centre halves on the bench we really do need some attacking options. Johnny and the board have some work to do this January 

Been a fantastic 2018, eh?

We have Healey, See and Willis to come back sometime in early 2019, but we need something different up there as well. 

At the other end, we've leaked 12 goals in the last 3 games

And I've been banging for a while that the midfield is really the culprit, largely because it can't hang on to the ball for more than a second or two. 

(The only individual I'll mention is to wonder why Chris Hamilton can't get a game) 

This could be the busiest January transfer window for Berwick, ever. And judging by The Boss's post match interview at Annan, he expects Dennis Mcleary to have lots of paperwork to do on January 1st. 

6 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Been a fantastic 2018, eh?

We have Healey, See and Willis to come back sometime in early 2019, but we need something different up there as well. 

At the other end, we've leaked 12 goals in the last 3 games

And I've been banging for a while that the midfield is really the culprit, largely because it can't hang on to the ball for more than a second or two. 

(The only individual I'll mention is to wonder why Chris Hamilton can't get a game) 

This could be the busiest January transfer window for Berwick, ever. And judging by The Boss's post match interview at Annan, he expects Dennis Mcleary to have lots of paperwork to do on January 1st. 

I'd start with a keeper without teflon gloves 

22 minutes ago, A Believer said:
2 hours ago, dougster said:
I'd start with a keeper without teflon gloves 

10 players in front of him; keeper always a soft target.

I won't disagree with you but there's a but, their keeper didn't have much to do but when called on,  he came out and caught the ball, danger over,. His double save in the second half from Murrell was again match winning.  Brennen could have/ should have never allowed that  ball to go right across the 6 yard box for a simple tap in for the first goal, he came out twice to catch the ball and dropped it once, not a good ratio IMO. Agreed there are players in front, we desperately need an ugly, head everything away centre half, a captain, a leader at the back, we also needed someone to hold onto the ballwhebn we got it.  All over we could have done better but it starts at the back, confidence breeds confidence and he doesn't do it for me sorry

I won't disagree with you but there's a but, their keeper didn't have much to do but when called on,  he came out and caught the ball, danger over,. His double save in the second half from Murrell was again match winning.  Brennen could have/ should have never allowed that  ball to go right across the 6 yard box for a simple tap in for the first goal, he came out twice to catch the ball and dropped it once, not a good ratio IMO. Agreed there are players in front, we desperately need an ugly, head everything away centre half, a captain, a leader at the back, we also needed someone to hold onto the ballwhebn we got it.  All over we could have done better but it starts at the back, confidence breeds confidence and he doesn't do it for me sorry
All very fair. The back 4 is a back 5, with the keeper integral; leading and breeding confidence. Totally agree.

No doubt if it's disjointed, it's not great. All I would say is that he's been the constant in a back 5 that changes every week. Mutual reliance and resultant cohesion is tough for a defensive unit to build when the components keep changing.

I'd like to see a settled unit, with or without Brennan; if a unit can't drill together and play together, to start developing intuitive shape and understanding, it's never going to be solid.

My thought is that they succeed or fail as a unit, and singling out is not necesarilly how I'd approach improvement.

I wasn't there today, so if the errors were that clear, I'd think there will be a change next week.

If you look at how regularly the GK squad in the club has changed since the start of the season, that tells it's own story as to how hard it is to develop and retain good GK's at SPFL2 level. Latest is the 9th between reserve and 1st team. Handle with care.

BBC stats over the last 3 games show 67 shots against us, 24 by us. Suggests there are much bigger problems than the keeper. 

I think Brennan is OK. Not the best but also not the worst we've had recently. Other positions require changing more urgently. 

I bow to your superior knowledge guys, it was just my observation of the 90 mins yesterday. 
I played in a junior team where the manager alternated keepers each week until one of us has a worldy; even then, one perceived slip, and you were dropped. It was a defensive bomb-scare. We both left.

It's varied opinion that makes being a fitba fan fun. I wasn't there, if he had a few nukes, then no-one has a devine right.

Sorry to harp on but the keeper needs to be dropped.
That also was like shooting in practice and should have been a lot more.
I can’t quite believe we have sunk to this standard of football players wearing that shirt, the last 5-8 years have been horrendous and am seriously questioning my sanity if I go back to watch this lot.[emoji85]
Feeling disillusioned with the whole set up unfortunately and it hurts.

Totally understand how pissed off people have become after struggling badly in recent years but I honestly believe there are reasons to be hopeful we can improve massively in 2019.

Looking back we had an atrocious summer, a boardroom split left a manager hung out to dry, hardly the best preparation for a new season.

Thankfully the turmoil up the stairs brought supporters organisations together and the infamous five left their positions. One of the five still maroons around the club with a massive ego and even asked for another official title which was rebuffed. He needs kicked into touch, once and for all.

Robbie struggled with the squad he put together and resigned, a very honest move by him as the job impacted on his health.

Johnny came in with renewed enthusiasm and gave the whole club a lift. Early performances and results were better than anyone expected and as a result we have taken badly to a couple of heavy defeats. A new style of play has been implemented which will take time to come to fruition. The bottom line is the current squad is not good enough but we have to give Johnny the time and resource to make his own mark on the club. Injuries to player of the season Daryl Healy and Paul Willis have hit us hard.

The board are still picking up the pieces from a broken regime but making progress. Some very positive announcements are likely in the near future which will help the finances as new partnerships are forged around the community.

It’s easy to pinpoint which players should be moved on but until there is a better replacement’s lined-up, it’s a pointless exercise. Some are simply not good enough, others like Phillips and Brown disappointing and running out of chances. 

I have faith and support this board in difficult times and have no doubt we have a great manager. 

This is one very f***ing long tunnel but I’m confident we will make progress in seeing some daylight next year. 

2 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

Totally understand how pissed off people have become after struggling badly in recent years but I honestly believe there are reasons to be hopeful we can improve massively in 2019.

Looking back we had an atrocious summer, a boardroom split left a manager hung out to dry, hardly the best preparation for a new season.

Thankfully the turmoil up the stairs brought supporters organisations together and the infamous five left their positions. One of the five still maroons around the club with a massive ego and even asked for another official title which was rebuffed. He needs kicked into touch, once and for all.

Robbie struggled with the squad he put together and resigned, a very honest move by him as the job impacted on his health.

Johnny came in with renewed enthusiasm and gave the whole club a lift. Early performances and results were better than anyone expected and as a result we have taken badly to a couple of heavy defeats. A new style of play has been implemented which will take time to come to fruition. The bottom line is the current squad is not good enough but we have to give Johnny the time and resource to make his own mark on the club. Injuries to player of the season Daryl Healy and Paul Willis have hit us hard.

The board are still picking up the pieces from a broken regime but making progress. Some very positive announcements are likely in the near future which will help the finances as new partnerships are forged around the community.

It’s easy to pinpoint which players should be moved on but until there is a better replacement’s lined-up, it’s a pointless exercise. Some are simply not good enough, others like Phillips and Brown disappointing and running out of chances. 

I have faith and support this board in difficult times and have no doubt we have a great manager. 

This is one very f***ing long tunnel but I’m confident we will make progress in seeing some daylight next year. 

Agree with nearly all that.

On a fans forum, it's never a pointless exercise for fans to express opinions about the people the pay to watch. 

Reacting to a club post on Twitter or Facebook, probably not right. On here - free for all. Say what you would on the terraces. 

And if the people running the club can't man manage Eric Tait, they shouldn't be running the club.  He's not Kim Jong Un for fecks sake, just sit down and talk to him without a supercilious sneer and tell him what is expected of him and what isn't. 

Archived