Motherwell vs St Mirren 22/12/18

Brutal doesn't even begin to describe that today. 

Woeful line up, woeful tactics and woeful performance all round and no surprise in the end result.

When you are losing at home to a relegation rival then you have serious, serious problems and we are in danger of being relegated for the first time in over 30 years because we have a squad full of dross and a manager who doesn't know how to deal with the predicament, or indeed set a side up to play any sort of football.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a classic but delighted with the result. Though we deserved it too, we defended really well - albeit Motherwell didn't really ask us any questions - and took our chance, Hammil was unlucky not to make it two .

Special mention for Lee Hodson, who we've all criticised, he was excellent in the second half. 

You try to go into games hoping for the best but today was, let's be honest, fairly predictable.

The worst Motherwell team in 40 years I've been watching.  Worse than Malpas, worse than McLeish, worse than Kampman, worse than whoever you want to name.  The worst.

Big questions need to be asked why a 19 year old youth player is the only guy in the squad that can perform rudimentary footballing skills.

However the style of football played is our biggest problem and that falls on the manager.

Punt and foul. Punt and foul.  Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul. Punt and foul....yeah, you know what, I can't be bothered doing that for 90 minutes having just watched it.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Resting players against Celtic for this match too...what a minter.

F off back to your own thread you tedious ****

Well done St Mirren. It was largely 2 very poor sides but felt St Mirren would score as that is what happens in these types of dour games. 

Decent away support and glad they will have a decent Xmas. Would rather St Mirren in the league than Hamilton so here is hoping. 

Brutal, brutal stuff from us. 

A very poor game that was always going to be decided by one goal, and the longer it went with us having possession and no end product, the more it looked like a single chance for Saints would punish us, and so it proved.

No-one but ourselves to blame as we have no direction and no fucking clue. 

Credit to St Mirren, defeat today could have left them marooned, but as it is, it's now game on in a four way relegation fight, only thing worrying me is whether our group of charlatans have the fight for it. 

Merry Christmas.!! 

I've watched plenty of poor Motherwell teams since I started going and so I can deal with the fact that we're a bit pish- but this is certainly the most boring 'Well team I've ever seen - makes Harri Kampmann's team look like Brazil 70. The fact that there isn't a single player to lift us above the mediocre leaves us without many redeeming features and is making a total chore of the whole thing. 

It was a nothing game today - but the standard soft goal (and the standard Bigi contribution to it) means we can have no complaints at all.

Relying on other teams being shite to keep us up is looking increasingly dodgy.....

35 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've watched plenty of poor Motherwell teams since I started going and so I can deal with the fact that we're a bit pish- but this is certainly the most boring 'Well team I've ever seen - makes Harri Kampmann's team look like Brazil 70. The fact that there isn't a single player to lift us above the mediocre leaves us without many redeeming features and is making a total chore of the whole thing. 

It was a nothing game today - but the standard soft goal (and the standard Bigi contribution to it) means we can have no complaints at all.

Relying on other teams being shite to keep us up is looking increasingly dodgy.....

Couldn't agree more, today was boring as and tedious as it was predictable. 

I think I'm right in saying if you exclude the Rangers and Aberdeen games, every other league game at Fir Park this season has been binary code stuff and like today most of them haven't gone in our favour. I mean the longer today's match went on, did anyone see any outcome other than Saints nicking it? 

On the lack of quality, I said as much after the Accies game right at the start of the season. We had 3 shots on target today from my recollection, 2 from Turnbull and a Main header put on a plate for him by Turnbull that he somehow contrived to miss from all of 6 yards out. It's an absolute shambles that we're basically relying on a 19 year old kid to try and win us matches, having seen his teammates laughable attempts at trying to play football today no wonder he can't be arsed signing a new deal. 

Motherwell are starting to resemble the Hibs team under Terry Butcher a few years ago.

At the split (5 games to play) Hibs were in a cosy 7th spot.

5 games later Hibs were 11th and facing a 2-game relegation play-off with Accies.

Hibs won the first leg away from home but still got relegated.

Merry Christmas Motherwell fans.

:whistle

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Motherwell are starting to resemble the Hibs team under Terry Butcher a few years ago.

At the split (5 games to play) Hibs were in a cosy 7th spot.

5 games later Hibs were 11th and facing a 2-game relegation play-off with Accies.

Hibs won the first leg away from home but still got relegated.

Merry Christmas Motherwell fans.

:whistle

It's been at the back of my mind for a while but the more the season goes on, the more detached we get in the 'bottom group' and our tendancy to lose tight games like today are going to see us sleepwalk into the playoffs.

I reckon there is a very good chance we will be relegated after losing the playoffs to Dundee United 

I struggle to see how anyone that has seen us regularly this season wouldn't have seen today coming. 

Massively hampered by our lack of width, playing a 0-5-5 in the last 10 was interesting. We badly need big changes in personnel come January.  

36 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I struggle to see how anyone that has seen us regularly this season wouldn't have seen today coming. 

Massively hampered by our lack of width, playing a 0-5-5 in the last 10 was interesting. We badly need big changes in personnel come January.  

That's the thing, it was a carbon copy of the home games against Accies and St.Johnstone which ended in 1-0 losses and the Livingston 1-1 home game. We lineup defensively, create nothing so resort to shelling aimless long balls which result in us either losing possession or giving away free kicks, they score with their first chance/decent effort and that's us snookered. It's absolutely awful to watch us trying to play this 'brand' of football and we have learned nothing since pre-season.

Archived