Aberdeen v Hearts

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearts and particularly Levein's MO at Pittodrie over the years has been to $hitfest this fixture including instructing a collection of assassins to basically boot anything that moves.

This requires being able to comfortably defend set-pieces and often sneaking a wee 1-0  win by taking a chance at the other end.

Doubtless after the last results for both sides, he will try this again - but do they currently have the players to execute such tactics?

As for AFC - hopefully still enough in the legs to ensure an energetic performance, and not a repeat of the St Johnstone $hitshow.   Six goals in four games is a concern, with the Considine/McKenna pairing clearly a tad flawed, and Devlin confirmed out until January.  Lowe is much better going forward than he is defensively.

Prediction 2-1 Cosgrove, McGinn / MacLean

9 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Lowe is much better going forward than he is defensively.

Strangely, Lowe's best performances defensively seem to have come against decent quality opponents (Forrest, Boyle and Candeias come to mind). I'm now not so sure it's that he isn't able defensively, rather that his concentration is more likely to slip or he takes more risks against poorer teams and players. 

Selection issues all over the shop for us.
Doyle could finally play a game ahead of Zlamal - if he's no good, we end up alternating between two shaky 'keepers in the same way that we've been alternating between two left-backs - Mitchell has the edge, but not by a great deal, and we can't play a back three as we don't have enough centre-backs. 
Hughes is too far off the pace to partner Berra, and Haring is needed in midfield, so Mikey Smith has to play centre-half, which pretty much means Godinho at RB.
Lee is slightly better than Bozanic, but are any of them currently better than Cochrane? Not really, imo.
Djoum will be suspended, and it's a toss up between Morrison and Clare at the moment.
Be great to have Naismith back on the pitch, if only to moan like f**k at c***s -  we can't expect too much from him in his first game back, but he has to start - whether that's instead of MacLean or alongside him is another question.
Doyle
Godinho - Smith - Berra - Mitchell
Haring
Clare - Cochrane - Morrison
Naismith
Maclean
Subs from: Zlamal, Garuccio, Hughes, Bozanic, Lee, Wighton, Mulraney, McDonald?

I think Cochrane got injured playing for the reserves through the week? Probably see Lee in instead of him. Can’t see Naismith being ready for 90, so that probably means a start for Bozanic or Wighton as well.
Personally, I was supposed to be going to this game but now I’m not so I’ll hear about our pumping at some point after the event.

28 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I think Cochrane got injured playing for the reserves through the week? Probably see Lee in instead of him. Can’t see Naismith being ready for 90, so that probably means a start for Bozanic or Wighton as well.
Personally, I was supposed to be going to this game but now I’m not so I’ll hear about our pumping at some point after the event.

Wighton is out for this too, according to EEN. 3-1 Aberdeen unfortunately.

Wighton is out for this too, according to EEN. 3-1 Aberdeen unfortunately.

Hadn’t seen that. Not sure where your optimism comes from either! Be surprised if we have a meaningful shot at goal never mind actually score

Fingers crossed we set the team up to let them worry about us instead of the opposite. 

Has to be the same team as Tuesday, even if GMS is fit. Stick him on in the second half to run them ragged. 

Hopefully May gets the goal his efforts have deserved, Hearts' keeper is woeful. Second worst in the league after Jack Hamilton.

Archived