Albion Rovers vs Clyde

1 minute ago, Only one David Marsh said:

There was a couple of guys next to me last week banging on how shite John rankin is and how he should not be near the first team. honestly girfuy! one John Rankin! 

If you asked them who they would play instead and how they would set the team up you’d probably find that they might go a bit quiet.....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rankin was brilliant today. Goody was good as well. Albion tried to give it a wee go in the 2nd half without threatening the Clyde goal to much.  3rd goal killed it. Albion boys looked like they just wanted off the pitch after that. Well done Clyde. Well played and 3 points. 

Rankin was fantastic today. Man of the match for me.
His recent form makes him now a really important player for us.
Let's hope he keeps it up.

Goodwillie looked threatening on every attack. Hopefully last season's form is returning.

Too right. Cuddihy and Lamont were great and Stewart too but central midfield is where we're weak. McStay and Grant are nice footballers but have no dig. A Jimmy Gibson type in there with Rankin, with Boyle and Lamont either side.

Dominating performance today from us with some nice football being played. Everyone had a good game but for me Rankin was man of the match by a mile. Brilliant assist for Goodie's goal and a decent goal for himself albeit it seemed to take a deflection. 3rd goal was a cracking header by Ally Love.

Judging by that performance from Albion Rovers today they are as good as gone already. I would expect any of the top Highland or Lowland league teams to beat them comfortably over 2 legs in the playoffs.

In my opinion they are the worst team I have ever seen in League 2 in the time we've been down there. Much worse than us at our worst and far worse than the East Stirling teams from a few years back. But what do they expect when they signed mediochre players from poor junior teams like Larkhall Thistle...

Mon the Bully!

As far as playing on a surface as uneven and heavy as it was that was pretty decent from us. A slight lull in the second half but legs were likely to tire on that surface with the pace we played at in the first half. 2-0 certainly flattered Albion, the woodwork being hit twice(8 times in the last 3 matches by my count) and a brilliant double save keeping the score down.

The 3rd goal was brilliant, from build up to the cross and finish from Ally. Whatever the reason for exclusion we looked more balanced with Jordan Stewart back in.

Albion looked doomed and there seemed to be a quiet acceptance in their support. Brogan was a terrible experiment, Harper doesn’t seem to be a whole lot better.

John Rankin is all I want for Christmas.

I've seen EK quite a few times over the last few years and they'd beat the current Rovers team comfortably.

Thanks. Keen to know the source of information.
On this forum a genuine question can come across as an aggressive demand for information. Mine was a gentle inquiry. Thank you for your response.

First visit to Cliftonhill today

Complete shit hole of a 'stadium' maybe acceptable in the 20's!
John 'boycott' Mason in attendance again.

Fantastic dominating display was really enjoyable to watch. Scoreline more than flattered Albion, at this point all they can do is prepare for the playoffs cause they look a beaten and down team

I think today was the day where the wee bit of enjoyment of Albion's dramatic decline, brought on by their bizarre antics when they came into a bit of cash, came to an end for me. The stadium, the pitch, the team on that pitch, a thoroughly demoralised home support. Not pleasant to see at all. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

We probably only needed to play at a fraction of our best to win the game but in the first half at least, we put in a good performance. Down at pitch level it was quite staggering how often simple passes were skipping up off the turf but you wouldn't have realised it such was some of the sharp interplay between our forward players, and Cuddihy of course. Our centre halves were completely underemployed, with Grant and McStay aggressive in winning the ball back before it reached them. Could easily have been four or five at the interval but for our usual pair of efforts striking the woodwork and a stunning double save by Morrison.

The second half saw us drop out of the game initially, perhaps not surprising as we'd pressed with such intent and aggression in the first half. The couple of times we've paired Grant and McStay in midfield have seen similar dips and that's something they'll need to work on with experience. Not that Albion ever really looked like scoring. We still had the better chances, should've had a penalty and ended up scoring a great third goal after good work by Cuddihy.

To have a straight-forward game like that where we could get Nicoll's suspension out of the way, Stewart a good game under his belt and Boyle another run-out is a big positive. Lennon takes a bit of credit as a crazy first half against Berwick aside, we've looked much better since Rankin was pushed into a freer role and McStay has been put centrally. Rankin was absolutely outstanding today and again, from pitch level, his influence on the entire team is obvious. Everyone else was better than their opposite numbers and that's all you can really ask.

First half we were excellent and could’ve had a few more. Rankin man of the match and has been excellent for the last 5/6 games at least. Good to see Goodwillie scoring again, shame he slipped when he was certain to score again. 

Albion are woeful, just constant punts up the park to a guy who didn’t have anyone within 30 yards of him. Never been less worried about a team scoring. 

Pleasing win, with a better performance than a few recent games. 

32 minutes ago, David W said:

I think today was the day where the wee bit of enjoyment of Albion's dramatic decline, brought on by their bizarre antics when they came into a bit of cash, came to an end for me. The stadium, the pitch, the team on that pitch, a thoroughly demoralised home support. Not pleasant to see at all. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

We probably only needed to play at a fraction of our best to win the game but in the first half at least, we put in a good performance. Down at pitch level it was quite staggering how often simple passes were skipping up off the turf but you wouldn't have realised it such was some of the sharp interplay between our forward players, and Cuddihy of course. Our centre halves were completely underemployed, with Grant and McStay aggressive in winning the ball back before it reached them. Could easily have been four or five at the interval but for our usual pair of efforts striking the woodwork and a stunning double save by Morrison.

The second half saw us drop out of the game initially, perhaps not surprising as we'd pressed with such intent and aggression in the first half. The couple of times we've paired Grant and McStay in midfield have seen similar dips and that's something they'll need to work on with experience. Not that Albion ever really looked like scoring. We still had the better chances, should've had a penalty and ended up scoring a great third goal after good work by Cuddihy.

To have a straight-forward game like that where we could get Nicoll's suspension out of the way, Stewart a good game under his belt and Boyle another run-out is a big positive. Lennon takes a bit of credit as a crazy first half against Berwick aside, we've looked much better since Rankin was pushed into a freer role and McStay has been put centrally. Rankin was absolutely outstanding today and again, from pitch level, his influence on the entire team is obvious. Everyone else was better than their opposite numbers and that's all you can really ask.

In fairness, the pitch and the stadium have been the same for years and years!

Archived