Dumbarton -vs- Stranraer

It's the last game before Christmas, as Stranraer travel north (hopefully via the back roads after our trip in October) to face a Sons side who have so far been utterly reliant on their home form.

The last game signalled the end of the line for Stevie Aitken as Dumbarton manager - with Sons' attacking force cancelled out by a seriously leaky defence. Since Duffy arrived things have improved - but that leaky defence cancelling out a reasonable forward line is still our Achilles heel.

Hopefully we'll be able to get Chris Smith back for this one, and it would be good to have Ryan Thomson and Beany available again if their injury issues have cleared  up. With a few players really not performing - and Duffy no doubt keen to make his mark on the squad - I also can't help but wonder if it might be a final home appearance for a few members of the squad. Namely Dom Thomas, with his loan deal due to expire after the Stenhousemuir game on the 29th.

Three points could take us as high as fifth (I think), whilst defeat coupled with victory for Brechin would see us slump back down to ninth ahead of the Warriors game. 

I'd be keen to hand Brad Spencer a start at the expense of Bobby Barr, but that aside there really aren't too many changes we can make. Ideally I'd also drop Dyer, Dowie and maybe even Michael Paton, but we just don't have the numbers to do that.

At this moment in time I'd bite your hand off for a scrappy, ugly 1-0.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the last game before Christmas, as Stranraer travel north (hopefully via the back roads after our trip in October) to face a Sons side who have so far been utterly reliant on their home form.
The last game signalled the end of the line for Stevie Aitken as Dumbarton manager - with Sons' attacking force cancelled out by a seriously leaky defence. Since Duffy arrived things have improved - but that leaky defence cancelling out a reasonable forward line is still our Achilles heel.
Hopefully we'll be able to get Chris Smith back for this one, and it would be good to have Ryan Thomson and Beany available again if their injury issues have cleared  up. With a few players really not performing - and Duffy no doubt keen to make his mark on the squad - I also can't help but wonder if it might be a final home appearance for a few members of the squad. Namely Dom Thomas, with his loan deal due to expire after the Stenhousemuir game on the 29th.
Three points could take us as high as fifth (I think), whilst defeat coupled with victory for Brechin would see us slump back down to ninth ahead of the Warriors game. 
I'd be keen to hand Brad Spencer a start at the expense of Bobby Barr, but that aside there really aren't too many changes we can make. Ideally I'd also drop Dyer, Dowie and maybe even Michael Paton, but we just don't have the numbers to do that.
At this moment in time I'd bite your hand off for a scrappy, ugly 1-0.
If Thomas exits after the Stenny game that could deal a grievous blow to our prospects for the 2nd half of the season.

He's the one individual with flair, invention and the ability to change a game in an instant, and I would hope that extending his contract is currently a high priority.

11 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If Thomas exits after the Stenny game that could deal a grievous blow to our prospects for the 2nd half of the season.

He's the one individual with flair, invention and the ability to change a game in an instant, and I would hope that extending his contract is currently a high priority.

Sadly that is one decision outwith the control of the club. Perhaps if we all ask Santa.

I'm hoping to see Duffy freshen things up a bit this week (well as much as he can with our current options). There's a couple of players who really aren't performing and against Airdrie I thought we looked far better when Spencer came on and Forbes moved out wide. I actually think Spencer has looked quite handy the last few times I've seen him and adds a bit of energy in the middle of the park. I also thought Forbes and Ballantyne showed the signs of a decent partnership on the right hand side, more so than Ballantyne and Barr.

Based on that, I'd probably go with the same team but with Barr dropped for Spencer. If we had another option at left back I'd be eager to see them replace the ever hopeless Dyer but unfortunately we dont. The same applies to Paton and Dowie.

Our defence is not going to improve untill Craig Barr returns and we get some reinforcements through the door so we really need to be taking our chances. We're creating plenty but often lack that killer touch in the box. Time to adopt the Ian Murray tactics of 'if you score 4, we'll score 5'.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Scary that this could be the last time we see Dom Thomas in a Sons shirt.

He'll be eligible for Stenny next week, won't he?

That's as good a reason as any to bother going to watch us lose away from home.

Just now, Ross Forbes said:

He'll be eligible for Stenny next week, won't he?

That's as good a reason as any to bother going to watch us lose away from home.

For some reason I completely blanked out the Stenny game and was thinking our next game was Forfar.

It's therefore not that frightening a prospect, but next week at Ochilview will be...

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

For some reason I completely blanked out the Stenny game and was thinking our next game was Forfar.

It's therefore not that frightening a prospect, but next week at Ochilview will be...

:(

Going to be actual tears from me. I'll just be sat at Ochilview long after everyone else has gone, clutching a slightly dog-eared picture.

2 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Is Dom Thomas definitely going back to Kilmarnock then? Do we know?

We know 2 things, one being Thomas can't play for anyone else other than us and Killie and the second being that we'll likely need a sponsor to cover his wage contribution for the rest of the season.  I suspect we'll find out in a couple of weeks if we can achieve that.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We know 2 things, one being Thomas can't play for anyone else other than us and Killie and the second being that we'll likely need a sponsor to cover his wage contribution for the rest of the season.  I suspect we'll find out in a couple of weeks if we can achieve that.

We don't necessarily need a sponsor if we can sell enough half-season tickets. It's why the club are promoting the offer heavily - Aitken is gone, Duffy has at least improved the home form massively from Aitken and we're a better proposition than we were in the first quarter of the season. If anybody who was  disengaged by Aitken's football last season and who decided not to renew was able to take on a half season ticket then it would be a real boost to our chances of doing some business in January, including keeping Dom Thomas.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Going to be actual tears from me. I'll just be sat at Ochilview long after everyone else has gone, clutching a slightly dog-eared picture.

A case of the DTs?

What was said at the board meeting prior to the Airdrie game was that Stevie Clarke "hadn't made his mind up yet" on Thomas. But that was then.

Would you accept a couple of bad performances from him in the next two matches if it meant Clarke decided to let him stay?

Archived