CM 01/02 revisisted- random memories and players

Stellaboz

For Me was picking whatever team and straight away he be my first signing.

Was a Nigerian boy. Agahowa or something along them lines. 19 year old attacking midfielder
There was another Nigerian guy, Haurna Babangida, was a winger who's pace and acceleration was always 20 and was a total machine.

Mark Kerr if I played in Scotland seemed to go to hibs.

Same in my game, always Falkirk to Hibs early on, and then to Arsenal within a year.

Always used to sign Kallstrom, Bakircioglu, Ejerholm, Hakan Mild, Mikael Dotson, and countless other super Swedes I’ve forgotten. Mike Duff from Cheltenham was class too.

Can’t remember if it was this one, but I made a point of trying to sign Ibrahim Said, Assane N’Diaye, Julius Agahowa and Isaac Okoronkwo no matter where I was.

Was this the year too where Fiorentina started off in Serie C as Florentia Viola? If so, a pairing of Ivan Bosnjak and Wael Reyad was phenomenal [emoji91][emoji91]

Dagnammit, these CM 01/02 reminiscences always end with me installing it again, and I’ve got a week’s leave coming up...

Not played a CM/FM game since my abortive Montrose adventure. Are CM stories acceptable in the FM thread?

Love this game. Still play it from time to time. Feel like I have never completed it. My ultimate goal was to win the Champions league with Hayes and despite making two finals in one game, didn't quite do the business. 

Some players for those who like going a lower league team and to get started.

Joao Paiva, Butra, Agustin, Adolfo, Hugo Valdir, Hugo Luz, Florin Batrinu, Carlos Marques, Helder Rosario, Atmodikoro and Hugo Luz. Also, try and sign Steve Soley and Neil Mackenzie to bolster up the midfield. Bonus if you get Tonton Zola (best player I've ever had in the game) and Burton O'Brien on loan. 

• 2 weeks later...
I use to be like this. But you just needed to remember who the good players were n who you needed and you more or less won the game. The only one I have ever been good at haha
I dis enjoy the signing of Norwegian 17 year olds in the original game and rising up the leagues etc but I just cannot get into the cm / FM games from about 2012 onwards. I love the setup and the gameplay of 01/02 and the fact now there's squad updates to bring it right in line with this season (and every one since 2013) it makes it hard to ditch.

An idea for the future fm lite would be as an aside to the challenges have classic seasons, where you could play from a previous database say 98-99, 01-02, but with the modern day game engine. That would be brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember selling an outstanding Wilifred Bouma to Real Madrid for £100 million.  That was the biggest transfer fee I can ever remember seeing.

My favourite save was with Roma.  Having a team with Bouma, Juan Riquelme, Ashley Cole, Julius Aghahowa, Totti, Walter Samuel, Mark Kerr and Kim Kallstrom all regulars for me.  I won Serie A something mental like eight years on the bounce, went over a year without losing a single match.  Eventually left to take over an ailing  Juventus side who were languishing in Serie B at the time.

Another save with Chester City was a firm favourite, getting to the Premiership and into Europe.  Remember I signed Alan Smith when he was bang in form, scoring goals for fun.  I seem to recall having to pay him obscene money to get him to sign a new deal in order to stop him leaving on a free at the end of the season.  Used to sign all my youngsters up to ten year deals right at the start of the game before the new contract agreements came into place.

I lost weeks of my life to this game, I was utterly obsessed with it.

The biggest meltdown I remember having was during said Roma save, where I was also the manager of Sweden.  Spent hours and hours both playing games and tinkering with my preferred line-up for both sides (Kallstrom captain of both club and country, natch), and accidentally flicked the extension switch off with my big toe, resulting in the PC turning completely off, having not saved my game in hours.  Was absolutely fuming.

Take my back to the endless school holidays doing nothing but playing this game!

My favourite save was a PSV one.  Eventually created a team so lethal that they're now illegal under the Geneva Convention.  

Maxim Tsigalko up front scoring 70+ a season with Mark Van Bommel playing as a deep lying midfielder with free reign to push up behind the strikers scoring 40+ and setting up twice as many more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm currently in my 25th season with Cowdenbeath.

1 x Third Division title

1 x Second Division title

1 x First Division title

3 x Premier Division title

7 x League Cup

7 x Scottish Cup

2 x UEFA Cup

1 x Super Cup

Also been put out of the Champions League semi finals twice on away goals. 

Unfortunately Celtic go through whole seasons undefeated so it's very hard to actually win a Premier league title.  Currently top of the league on goal difference but Celtic have a game in hand that they will almost certainly win....

Been offered the French and Italian manager jobs and the Celtic job but I'll never leave the Blue Brazil.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

Allan Carella at Aberdeen was great in my game.

AFAIK, his last known club IRL were Petershill. Was briefly with Auckland City in New Zealand.

To a lesser extent Bobby Duncan, last at Petershill.

Edited by Sunrise

I always felt Cowden were a horrific side to try and take up the leagues. Terrible starting squad and nobody wanted to come play there, had to hope you got some good loans.
So many freebies to start off with. Usually found once you get to premiership was hard to win it as money isnt huge. Release clauses done me a few times as I used to forget a player had one and then sold for cheap.
Joao Paiva one of my favourite freebies